Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sleepers are an ancient culture that disappeared?

Author Topic: So.. the market. (how) Does it work?  (Read 4711 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
So.. the market. (how) Does it work?
« on: 03 Aug 2013, 13:16 »

I made a DUST merc on a friend's PSN account to putz around and see how the game is, and I ended up picking up some assault rifle my merc can't use, yet.  So, I go to the market figuring to just sell the thing for more ISK or whatever, but there seems to be no way to do this.

Is it impossible to sell/trade things between characters in DUST at all?  If so, how does the whole "Capsuleer corp contracts DUST mercs to do stuff on some planet somewhere" or "Capsuleer nukes the whole place from orbit - it's the only way to be sure - in support of DUST mercs" thing work?  Like... how does payment exchange hands, or does it?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger
Re: So.. the market. (how) Does it work?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Aug 2013, 17:40 »

I made a DUST merc on a friend's PSN account to putz around and see how the game is, and I ended up picking up some assault rifle my merc can't use, yet.  So, I go to the market figuring to just sell the thing for more ISK or whatever, but there seems to be no way to do this.

Is it impossible to sell/trade things between characters in DUST at all?  If so, how does the whole "Capsuleer corp contracts DUST mercs to do stuff on some planet somewhere" or "Capsuleer nukes the whole place from orbit - it's the only way to be sure - in support of DUST mercs" thing work?  Like... how does payment exchange hands, or does it?

oh THIS question

ok ok ok

1. selling hasn't been implemented yet & will most likely be a player market SOONtm

2.not exactly sure but im assuming its going to be a eve corp in a alliance pays a duster corp to over throw a district for their own use.....maybe to defend your minings OPS?

3. orbital nukes like in dat trailer haven't been revealed yet  BUT theres orbital bombardments!
in a pub match a squad would have to earn 2500 war points by killing, rez, caping etc etc etc & then the squab leader can bombard a small area via NPC ship

in PC (planetary conquest) not exactly sure but orbital bombardments are suppled by the corporation's chosen capsuleer rather then a NPC ship

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 03 Aug 2013, 19:54 »

<snip>
in a pub match a squad would have to earn 2500 war points by killing, rez, caping etc etc etc & then the squab leader can bombard a small area via NPC ship

in PC (planetary conquest) not exactly sure but orbital bombardments are suppled by the corporation's chosen capsuleer rather then a NPC ship

<snip>

Wait... you can get NPC orbital bombardments?

Meh. I was kind of hoping CCP would restrict those to being player-delivered, in order to gently nudge people towards conquest/FW matches with the reward of being able to play with "the big toys".
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 05 Aug 2013, 13:28 »

Granted my understanding of Dust is limited, but if orbital support is provided by the corp "sponsoring" the battle, and the dust mercs are working for NPCs, wouldn't the npcs provide orbital support options?

It would be nice if they at least spawned some npcs in EVE though, then opposing capsuleers could take out such a fleet, maybe for LP.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 06 Aug 2013, 06:49 »

Those are, to the best of my understanding, only in the public matches. In FW or PC (factional warfare and planetary conquest) the bombardment is done by EVE characters, has more options, and is a bit more powerful.

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger
« Reply #5 on: 06 Aug 2013, 08:58 »

Those are, to the best of my understanding, only in the public matches. In FW or PC (factional warfare and planetary conquest) the bombardment is done by EVE characters, has more options, and is a bit more powerful.
i never been in PC so i wouldn't know exactly :/

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2013, 11:37 »

Wait... you can get NPC orbital bombardments?

Meh. I was kind of hoping CCP would restrict those to being player-delivered, in order to gently nudge people towards conquest/FW matches with the reward of being able to play with "the big toys".

NPC "orbitals" apparently come from the team Mobile Command Center, or "MCC." It's essentially an atmosphere-capable ship that provides resupply and fire support. Most of the time, it just has its missile battery trained on the other team's counterpart, but it's also apparently capable of raining down effective anti-infantry fire from time to time.

Thing is, it seems to be equipped with civilian gatling rails, so its fire lacks the punch of an Eve-based OB.

CCP's working on tweaking the rules for Eve pilots to get OB, by the way.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2013, 15:04 »

Thought that was the War Barge. But I don't play DUST yet.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2013, 23:29 »

Possible. There are also maps where there is no MCC, yet OB is available. Also, the "OB" doesn't seem to come directly from the MCC.

Sooo ... yes, the war barge would make sense. If so, the war barge isn't even a combat frigate, firepower-wise. It's more like one of those bottom-tier NPC rat frigates.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2013, 00:03 »

Well, it does have "barge" in the name. It's essentially a freighter. I don't imagine it is meant to have any real firepower.

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2013, 03:04 »

As far as I am aware, the War Barge is responsible for the NPC OB strikes, and it has limited weaponry for this role, primarily being a strategic command centre and logistical hub. 

The MCC is more of a tactical/field command centre, but plays a vital role in the 'network' that must be in place to ensure safe clone transfer in real time.  Essentially each drop suit is an end device, carrying the consciousness of the user (in his head until otherwise opened up by incoming fire), with the MCC acting as a router (when present), and the Warbarge acting providing the heavy lifting, computationally, to ensure that data stream remain corruption free, transfers are conducted swiftly and so forth.  Note that due to Assault matches, it is clear the MCC is not required to ensure cloning goes smoothly, but may in fact also assist with the hacking of 'hardened computational systems', in this case NULL installations. 

In this way, a dropsuit equipped force of clone soldiers represents the most advanced 'smart-battle' force in the cluster, with fully networked resurrection and the ability to crack the security counter measures of super-heavy ordnance in the field, in a matter of seconds. 

That's just my musing, but looking at the move towards distributed system in civil and military applications today, I can certainly see such a situation being at the bleeding edge of network/communications technology as applied to warfare in the EVE cluster. 

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2013, 08:50 »

That's just my musing, but looking at the move towards distributed system in civil and military applications today, I can certainly see such a situation being at the bleeding edge of network/communications technology as applied to warfare in the EVE cluster. 

May just be musing, but it reads like a good sales pitch!