Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sebiestor has embraced the pet-name Sinister Ones, given to them by the Amarr? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Teleportation?  (Read 4957 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Teleportation?
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2010, 06:50 »

Svetlana, I agree. But discussion (IC and OOC) is probably the best way to make sure they realize they should pay a bit more attention. Besides, who couldn't use a little more mystery in their lives? ;)

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2010, 09:42 »

Svetlana, I agree. But discussion (IC and OOC) is probably the best way to make sure they realize they should pay a bit more attention. Besides, who couldn't use a little more mystery in their lives? ;)

I guess.  On the other hand, Sanshas raiding a planet and taking 12 people wouldn't really have the punch they're looking for (unlike say, Seyllin, where I think 500 million didn't make sense, but even something more reasonable like 5-10 million would have been pretty horrific).  Part of the problem is that combat is so "short" in Eve, so you can't really have the Sanshas carrying out a multi-day (or even multi-hour) operation to snatch people.  Similar to my problem with the timeline presented in TEA about the Caldari invasion, it probably takes longer than 5-10 minutes to safely get from high orbit to the ground in any sort of transport -- if you assume it takes just as long to get back up, you need a pretty big window just to land, spend 15 minutes grabbing people (even that seems awful short, since most people are not going to stick around if a Sansha dropship lands in their back yard) and fly off.

In this case, I'm willing to grant some artistic license, but I do wish there was a little more thought put behind this sort of thing. :) A chronicle about one of these raids might shed some light on the whole matter too.

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2010, 13:48 »

Iirc, the only ones that ever understood physics well enough to manage teleportation were the Enheduanni (but then again, they'd nearly finished science). I can't remember where I read it, or I'd link the relevant information, sorry.

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2010, 06:27 »

Well, 2.5 million people use the London Underground every day, with opening hours being between 5:30am and 1am. That's eighteen hours, give or take. of course, it's not fully laden for that entire duration - the bulk of passengers travel in the rush hours, between 7am-9:30am and 4:30pm-6:30pm.

So a reasonable estimate would be that the London underground can move two million people in about four hours. that's 500,000 people per hour, at capacity.

all of which means that the Sansha dropship force, not accounting for losses from engaging the navies in low orbit, would be a logistical undertaking four or five times the size of the Tube.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2010, 12:26 »

Well, 2.5 million people use the London Underground every day, with opening hours being between 5:30am and 1am. That's eighteen hours, give or take. of course, it's not fully laden for that entire duration - the bulk of passengers travel in the rush hours, between 7am-9:30am and 4:30pm-6:30pm.

So a reasonable estimate would be that the London underground can move two million people in about four hours. that's 500,000 people per hour, at capacity.

all of which means that the Sansha dropship force, not accounting for losses from engaging the navies in low orbit, would be a logistical undertaking four or five times the size of the Tube.

See? Those easy-to-read London Underground maps were a terrible idea. They make it easy for them nasty Sansha types to abduct Londoners. :P Wait...doesn't sound too bad actually. House prices in the home counties might go down too... ;)

Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #20 on: 01 Jun 2010, 06:30 »

As another data point, prior to Hurricane Katrina, the population of New Orleans was roughly 450,000 people, and it took weeks to evacuate everyone from the city.  Yeah, the numbers are a little silly, but as I said before, I think they are somewhat constrained by the realities of the game, where an hours or days long pitched battle is not likely.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #21 on: 01 Jun 2010, 12:14 »

Sansha plop down, unleash giant stun bomb, scoop everyone up with a giant vacuum cleaner.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 01 Jun 2010, 16:15 »

I understand Eve is trying to be the ultimate sci-fi sim and all that, but if teleporters are ever added to lore I might end myself.

This.

Consider this a suicide pact if teleportation is added.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #23 on: 04 Jun 2010, 01:13 »

Sansha plop down, unleash giant stun bomb, scoop everyone up with a giant vacuum cleaner.

He's onto us sir.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 04 Jun 2010, 16:10 »

He's onto us sir.

Sansha has gone from suck to blow!
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #25 on: 05 Jun 2010, 22:55 »

something to keep in mind, is that the numbers were definitely, definitely tweaked to make the events go fast enough to be reasonable.
For those of you who recall Seyllin, I think they were able to save maybe 500,000 thousand and they had hours in which to do it.

When you think about it, there is evidence everywhere that the eve universe in fiction, is not the same universe in game. Even just looking at some missions (recon 1-3 specifically on my mind) the rules of the universe are rather different storywise then they are gamewise, Its just something you generally have to live with.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: 1 [2]