Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Teleportation?  (Read 4956 times)

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
Teleportation?
« on: 19 May 2010, 13:39 »

Okay, there is a thread limping along on the Intergalactic Summit concerning how 2 million people could be removed from a planet in an hour.

The methodology is important to Saxon for several reasons. First, the Ostingele colony was one of those the IPI recognizes as part of "Intaki Space" — what he envisions as the future Intaki State. In his mind, those 2 million people were his countrymen and for them to be gone in nearly the blink of an eye is startling.

In the larger sense, he is concerned about the same thing happening elsewhere. Perhaps even the Intaki homeworld. (Nation has made two assaults on the sister world of Intaki IV already)

One suggestion put forth was that "short range teleportation devices (such as the type used to transport items from space to ship cargo holds) are being used to abduct the civilian populations."

I wasn't aware of teleportation technology being used in Eve. Anyone got any Prime Fiction sources to back this up?

Anyone who wants to join in the thread can find it here

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Teleportation?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2010, 13:44 »

I was under the impression that the <2500m range thing for opening containers was small tractor beams for manipulating things.
\o/

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2010, 13:52 »

I also assumed it was for electromagnets or some other type of mechanical grapple. I've never heard of anything being teleported.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2010, 13:53 »

what was the thing, that caused a Jovian dude to explode?
\o/

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2010, 13:58 »

I seem to recall hearing something about how matter transmission in EVE was possible, just really easy to intercept/corrupt/whatever. No idea if that's correct or now though.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2010, 14:02 »

Mining lasers work by vaporizing rock into its constituent molecules an then reassembling, which is teleportation, of a sort. Obviously no good for human use.

No working teleportation, unless the Sanshas have made great strides, cause the last time was indeed the Jovian dude, that got himself spattered across the entire cluster.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2010, 14:15 »

Two million is indeed a staggering number for such a short amount of time.

The suggestions of infiltration by Nation agents, long-term societal manipulation, coordination of planetside events involving mass gatherings, sabotage of planetary defenses, and well-prepared landing zones for the dropships add up in total to a viable explanation in my eyes.  Two million, as in the case at Ostingele, may be a figure that describes their maximum possible haul in a situation where everything went according to the Sansha plan and then some.

Teleportation just doesn't fit EVE tech, and I personally find the above explanations much more chilling than the people Star Trek-style beamed up or even being melted down into DNA.  These incursions and mass kidnappings are the kind of operation that would take, say, one hundred years to properly set up...  My hope is that we'll eventually come to learn (as players if not IC) that the Nation has been working toward this for a very long time.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2010, 14:22 by Ken »

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2010, 14:38 »

I understand Eve is trying to be the ultimate sci-fi sim and all that, but if teleporters are ever added to lore I might end myself.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2010, 15:01 »

There's a chronicle, mentions using "salvage drones" to take things from wrecks.

http://www.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=jul01-02

There's also how the ship in the Empyrean Age was doing stuff, which was with a winch and crane, and things.
Or the salvager module, which does something too.
\o/

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2010, 18:05 »

No teleportation needed.

Two thousand ships with four thousand soldiers, each running out of the ship, grabbing one arm of a person with their kidnapping buddy and running back into the ship.

Perhaps Sansha are even so uber that they have stun guns that they can use to fire into a crowd and then they just gather the living bodies.

It almost makes sense!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2010, 18:24 »

The answer is obvious, really. The Sanshas bait the dirtlings with the promise of candy, and then fly off with them.

It works every time.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2010, 22:00 »

The answer is obvious, really. The Sanshas bait the dirtlings with the promise of candy, and then fly off with them.

It works every time.

I think you may be on to something

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2010, 02:54 »

I think that the dropships don't acually land but hover over cities and use tractor beams on anyone out in the open.

And I have the footage to prove it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ply6ULY9Gdk
« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 02:58 by Rodj Blake »

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2010, 03:27 »

I think that the dropships don't acually land but hover over cities and use tractor beams on anyone out in the open.

And I have the footage to prove it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ply6ULY9Gdk

:D

Also: Homer speaking Spanish was a slight wtf moment there. :)
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2010, 06:23 »

I think the more likely explanation is that CCP picks big numbers that don't often make sense. :) Teleportation has never been mentioned in anything I've read -- it certainly would make a lot of other technologies pretty useless.
Pages: [1] 2