Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That KillJoy Tseng's first season racing rifter later sold for 75 million ISK?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your Cold Remedies!  (Read 1806 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Your Cold Remedies!
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2013, 13:39 »

In case it hasn't been said enough: Zinc and Vitamin C. If I take them when I first feel the cold coming on, I can usually avoid the worst of the plugged-up ickyness. Dunno if that'll help now, but it's good to know for the future.

If you can tolerate it in the Summer, blastingly hot sauna-showers do help as well.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2013, 13:58 »

Only those weak in faith are cursed with physical ailments.

MORE SCRIPTURES FOR YOU.

Physically: Lots and lots of zinc has been shown to reduce your cold by about 1/2 duration.  Lots of water, juice, and soup.

Mentally: Distraction is the name of the game.  Long, engrossing movies, or video-games that demand your attention.  Stick in an extended cut of the lord of the rings for 4.5 hours and you won't even remember you are sick you'll be too busy crying over Frodo and Gandalf.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2013, 14:47 »

Honey and ginger in hot water is good for a sore throat.

Ginger also makes you sweat, so getting your body temperature high enough to kill the bacteria is a good idea.

So don't take any meds that would lower your fever.

Usually I go to sauna at one point or another when I am sick, it acts as kind of a catalyzer for the thing, whatever doesn't kill you makes you only stronger.

Also fuck sports, if you have a virus and it migrates to your heart, you're thoroughly fucked.

Sleep, loads of it, and a lot of food.

You need the energy to fight the illness.

Some swear by garlic, it is anti-bacterial (like honey) so just stick it into whatever you are eating.

Stay the hell away from anything with too much sugar, nicotine, caffeine, taurine, those will just keep you awake.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2013, 17:11 »

You can buy lemon and ginger herbal tea. sweeten that with a teaspoon of set honey. Drink hot with some paracetamol. Get on with your day.

If it's an especially nasty cold, paracetamol can be safely taken at the same time as ibuprofen, as they go down different pharmaceutical channels. For best results, stagger the two drugs by two-hour intervals. Don't exceed the maximum daily dosage for either, and it's not a good idea to take Ibuprofen on an empty stomach.

And keep busy. If you let the cold drive you to curl up on your couch with a blanket you'll feel worse than if you just HTFU and get on with your day like a boss.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2013, 17:14 by Stitcher »

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2013, 17:46 »

18 hours couch naps have always made me feel better than 'hardening up' when it comes to being sick. They're also less likely to get someone else sick.

One thing I'll point out doesn't work for congestion: eating spicy foods.

Your sinuses will expand for a bit, giving you clear breathing for a few minutes, but then you'll produce more mucus and end up even more clogged than before.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2013, 18:01 »

Sniffing peppermint extract has worked for me in the past for clearing sinuses. >_>
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2013, 18:04 »

Did someone already recommend chicken soup? I works, scientifically proven.

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2013, 18:17 »

18 hours couch naps have always made me feel better than 'hardening up' when it comes to being sick. They're also less likely to get someone else sick.

Fair enough, not spreading it is important. I'm letting my "I drive my own car to work, have my own office and don't have much face-to-face contact during the working day" show. I guess if I was carpooling or commuting on public transport or sharing an office with a couple other people I'd be more likely to call in sick... or wear a face mask.

But seriously, I've always found that I beat a cold best by distracting myself with doing things. If a cold stops me from going to work, that means I'm in bed hallucinating my balls off and physically incapable of moving beyond maybe staggering to the bathroom in my more lucid moments.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2013, 18:27 »

I thought I read somewhere in AP Bio that medicine doesn't actually help you get better, it just helps alleviate the symptoms. :-p
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 27 Jun 2013, 19:03 »

There are a few Polish folksy cold remedies you can try.

1. Mug of piping-hot milk mixed with at least a tablespoon of honey, and a dollop of butter. Really helps with horking up lung-horrors.
2. Garlic sandwich. Take slice of brown rye bread. Crush the fuck out of 2-3 garlic cloves, smear liberally on sandwich as spread. Eat. Trust. Just eat.
3. Vodka. Get really drunk on vodka. There is considerable value in the approach of rendering your body too toxic for diseases to survive in. I myself have a case of the snifflycoughy tonight, and plan to embark on this treatment plan. Have I ever told you all that I love you all? No? FUCK YOU ALL THEN.

Vikarion

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2013, 00:25 »

I tend to subscribe to four things.

1. Stay moderately physically active during the day. Your lymph system doesn't have a pump - it relies on your body moving. Also, moving around helps my sinuses stay clearer.

2. Lemon juice in hot water. I like sour stuff, and it's good for you.

3. Chicken soup. It's better if it isn't canned.

4. 2-4 shots of a reasonably good hard alcohol before bed, along with a cup of tea or two. Adjust alcohol to body weight.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #26 on: 28 Jun 2013, 00:29 »

Frodo was a bitch... Wasn't so bad in the books.

I did cry when Gandalf the grey died in the book, though.  Not in the movie, because I already knew that Gandalf the white was on his way.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jun 2013, 01:21 »

Spirits mixed in hot camomille tea and honey. Works every time.

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jun 2013, 05:35 »

NO antibiotics whatsoever - as they do jack poop to viral strains - Maybe taken if I have a particularly persistent lung infection after the fact. 

Painkillers if I must.

Otherwise the top hits from above - get comfortable (or at least distracted by work) and hammer juice, heated vitamin C rich drinks such as Ribena, and foods along the same lines. 

I can't stress enough that antibiotics are not used for colds - best case nothing happens, worst case you half-dose it with some different, bacterial, nasty in your system and contribute to the rapid decline in the effectiveness of key antibiotics.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2013, 05:37 by Aelisha Montenagre »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #29 on: 28 Jun 2013, 22:34 »

Whilst still being sick, I figured I'd ask you all what your own cold remedies are. I picked myself up some prescription meds to kill this thing, so I'll hopefully be on the road to recovery quick.

But aside from meds, what do you all do to violently murder that unwanted illness?

Never been a fan of drugs, even genuine medicine I'm told to take for any illness (I don't like the idea of adding any chemical compound to my system that I don't know what is, and I am not much of a biologist...) so I just try to ride out any illness I'm inflicted with and don't do any druge unless specifically told to do so.

So I asked someone I respect that I met on a forum once. She gave me some advice.

"Anti-Cold Drink.

Hot water, mixed with the joice of half a lime and about a big teaspoon of honey. A real vitamin bomb. Good for when you're sick and have a sore throat."

Quoted exactly as posted on said forum years ago. I have not tried it myself so I don't know exactly if it work or how well. Nor am I sure if it will help cure what your suffering from.

If you try it out, let me know if/how well it works.

Oh and, I will accept no liability of you die horribly from food-poisoning  :lol:
Pages: 1 [2] 3