Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Guristas co-founder Jirai Laitanen, also known as Fatal, was podded in YC106, but suffered from severe memory loss and motor impairment because he only had an inferior clone on standby.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Your Cold Remedies!  (Read 1803 times)

Anslol

Your Cold Remedies!
« on: 27 Jun 2013, 08:52 »

Whilst still being sick, I figured I'd ask you all what your own cold remedies are. I picked myself up some prescription meds to kill this thing, so I'll hopefully be on the road to recovery quick.

But aside from meds, what do you all do to violently murder that unwanted illness?

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: Your Cold Remedies!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2013, 09:05 »

What do you mean by meds?

I sleep, drink lots of fluids, and take that powdery vitamin stuff.

I also complain to all and sundry. Not sure it helps fight it, but it does make me feel better.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Anslol

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2013, 09:08 »

What do you mean by meds?

I sleep, drink lots of fluids, and take that powdery vitamin stuff.

I also complain to all and sundry. Not sure it helps fight it, but it does make me feel better.

Any meds. I'm taking cefprozil now. Others take over the counters like dayquil but...that never works for me.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2013, 09:22 »

You take antibiotics to fight a common cold? o.O

Usually, what I do is rest, sleeping a lot indeed, keeping warm and making sure to drink enough and have my vitamins (I prefer to not take them as powder but via fresh fruit and such).

Anslol

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2013, 09:28 »

Yeah it's a family thing. We get a stupid amount of samples. When I was young and had this sort of thing, I'd be given cefprozil...odd enough.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2013, 11:11 »

I'm with Nico, the cold is a virus and taking an antibiotic will likely only have a placebo effect at best.  Our household remedy is pretty much drink a lot of juice. Orange or blackcurrant are my favorites. It helps with hydration and gives a boost of vitamins. I find it works best when you first start feeling symptoms, or if you realize that the people around you are sick and are trying to expose you to their contagion.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2013, 11:23 »

It will, in fact, just make the shit that is in you more resistant to antibiotics.  For the sake of the future of humanity and the deathplague you are nurturing inside of you, stop taking antibiotics for everything.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2013, 11:27 »

It will, in fact, just make the shit that is in you more resistant to antibiotics.  For the sake of the future of humanity and the deathplague you are nurturing inside of you, stop taking antibiotics for everything.

This. It'll also fuck up the good bacteria that you actually want inside you, too.

Karm, Makkal and Nico have the best solutions here. Juice/vitamins, rest, and constant vigilance. If your friends/roommates/whatever are getting sick, engage tinfoil hat mode, assume they're out to make you sick, and start juicing and vitamining the shit out of your system (within reason, of course - too much of a good thing can be bad for you).
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2013, 11:33 »

Chiming in on that. Antibiotics for a cold are worse than useless.

Get sleep, drink plenty of fluids. Vitamin C/zinc/etc couldn't hurt, either.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2013, 11:46 »

Honey, preferable from a local source.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2013, 11:53 »

Half a bottle of a decent five to ten year old port.

It doesn't cure the cold, but you won't care and it'll help you sleep, to boot.

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2013, 11:56 »

Going to chime in with everyone else here about the antibiotics. It's been a well known fact for as far as I can remember, that taking antibiotics for colds does far more harm in the long run to your body then good. Not to mention having no affects on colds, either.

Now, for cold remedies, well ... there really is none. However there are things you can do to help your comfort level while sick, and even help your body fight it off better. People already recommended getting rest and taking your vitamins (Vitamin C and some zinc, they do help). Drink lots and lots of fluids. My mother always use to encourage drinking what she called 'clear fluids' when ill, which usually consisted of things like water (the usual), Sprite/7-Up, and Gatorade. Food wise, stick with soups for a bit, like chicken noodle (more fluids, again). If your throat is sore, by all means, do take some pain medication for it, or otherwise it'll make it hard to get anything down. Tea with some honey in it, also good for sore throats.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2013, 12:01 »

1.) Rest and fluids in large amounts.
2.) Humidity Helps! Use a humidifier, or hover your face over (NOT IN) a pot of boiling water, or take a steamy shower.
3.) Vicks Vapo-Rub under your nose, just a tiny dab of it. Just don't put any on your balls. Bad feels, man. Bad feels.
4.) Sleep with three pillows to keep your head elevated.
5.) Gargle warm salt water, or if you want to be highly effective, find something warm salty and sticky to coat your throat with.
6.) The only medicines you should be taking without a doctor's prescription are OTC ones to help with fever and congestion.

:cube:
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2013, 12:03 by Katrina Oniseki »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2013, 12:39 »

Eating fruit regularly tends to reduce tremendously the number of that kind of viral shit over time. Proven and proven again. Doesn't make you immune, of course, but helps a lot... Until everyone starts to cough in the subway and then you are pretty screwed anyway.

Otherwise, just got a rhinopharyngitis the last week and doctor just prescribed nasal sprays and pastilles. As usual. Do not need it, but it sure makes your life better in the process.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2013, 13:26 »

Oh, and another thing: if you normally exercise regularly, go ahead and continue to exercise so long as you're not really miserable. It can cut down on the total time you're sick pretty radically.
Pages: [1] 2 3