Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lai Dai megacorporation has far ranging interests, is one of the foremost research companies in the cluster, and has strong links to the Khanid Kingdom?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Demographics: Caldari  (Read 2784 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Demographics: Caldari
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2013, 20:11 »

Hell, the only reason I find Ishukone so terrible these days is because it's the obvious product of those attempts to do so and which TonyG also seems to have fallen into, where the word, "Liberal" to describe the political faction means it's a haven of Cal-America with apple pie, to the point that it now looks like the red-headed bastard child Megacorp. preaching freedom, love and tolerance in an utterly cold and ruthless State instead of being the Megacorp. that just uses good PR in foreign markets to trick the foreigners to buy their goods because they can't get an acceptable market share in the State having to compete with much larger entities like SuVee and Kaalakiota.

And yet, instead of educating newer players who are joining Ishukone about what it really is on the spot, several prominent Caldari players continue to simply bash Ishukone for being weak willed milktoast hippies. Since the hippie Ishukone players are misinterpreting as you imply, and Ishukone detractors are confirming it by responding IC against the entire megacorp... this seems like a trend that even you are continuing to further.

This is the same issue as with Blood Raiders RP. A certain number of players have used Blood Raiders as an excuse for BDSM blood-religion fetish roleplay, giving the entire faction an unwanted stigma. Players like Silas Vitalia have done an excellent job in reversing this trend, by giving the faction a much needed and truly dangerous character and role model.

I dunno. I guess I'm ranting because when I first started playing Ishukone, I thought the hippie thing was what it actually was. Other Ishukone players were doing it, Patriots were bashing us for it, and nobody told me otherwise until much later. Only after I had read the Creliere storyline did I realize who Otro really was.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013, 20:16 by Katrina Oniseki »

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2013, 20:25 »

I love pointing TonyG era Ishukonites to Creliere.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2013, 21:35 »

And yet, instead of educating newer players who are joining Ishukone about what it really is on the spot, several prominent Caldari players continue to simply bash Ishukone for being weak willed milktoast hippies. Since the hippie Ishukone players are misinterpreting as you imply, and Ishukone detractors are confirming it by responding IC against the entire megacorp... this seems like a trend that even you are continuing to further.

This is the same issue as with Blood Raiders RP. A certain number of players have used Blood Raiders as an excuse for BDSM blood-religion fetish roleplay, giving the entire faction an unwanted stigma. Players like Silas Vitalia have done an excellent job in reversing this trend, by giving the faction a much needed and truly dangerous character and role model.

I dunno. I guess I'm ranting because when I first started playing Ishukone, I thought the hippie thing was what it actually was. Other Ishukone players were doing it, Patriots were bashing us for it, and nobody told me otherwise until much later. Only after I had read the Creliere storyline did I realize who Otro really was.

Well for one, I hardly consider myself a prominent Caldari player so I don't worry for my opinions counting for much, and frankly in a community that expresses a desire for toleration and not telling others they are doing it wrong I have accepted the fact that hey, if players want to play characters representing Ishukone that to me as a player strike me as just being a typical American or European with a Caldari hat on or in-character as being a typical Gallentean with a Caldari hat on due to their expressed in-character thoughts and opinions then that's their prerogative.

Anyway, I think the damage was done to Ishukone the moment TonyG wrote Theodicy to the point that Ishukone no longer really comes off as the old, "Smiling face with the hidden knife" type of Megacorporation I always thought it was from what I gathered from the old news articles and chrons about it, but where it now seems everyone in Ishukone as represented by those who play coming from it look like they've all drunk so deeply from the bleeding heart liberal Otro Gariushi kool-aid to such a point they've broken the golden rule: Never, ever, believe your own propaganda.

Now it isn't me bashing Ishukone RP as much as making it clear as possible that I have deployed my ten-foot-pole of, "Do not want" with TonyG's portrayal of a Caldari Megacorporation whose past CEO was presented as essentially the Caldari version of Jesus Christ who died in Malkalen for all of the State's sins in not accepting the gift and light of modern Western/Gallentean liberalism and whose current adherents come off to me as wanting to project upon the State their Japanophile tendencies in making Caldari honourable Zaibatsu citizens.

However, this does not mean that there does not exist a mutually advantageous situation here. It means right now, Ishukone presents an opportunity for players to RP a Caldari character that can be relatively close to modern norms without having to pay much mind to some more negative or unsavory aspects of State society according to them. Safe in the knowledge that as the current White Knights of the Caldari State no negativity shall befall Ishukone and that they'll always make the headlines by CCP with a positive spin cast upon them to feel warm and fuzzy inside. Others then can take an alternative angle in their pursuit of Caldari RP which in comparison might be more ruthless, darker, and harsher and by continuously making obvious the glaring differences between Ishukone and other Caldari Megacorporations in interactions then others can enjoy vicariously those elements of State factionalism.

Win-win scenario to me, I think.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2013, 22:00 »

And yet, instead of educating newer players who are joining Ishukone about what it really is on the spot, several prominent Caldari players continue to simply bash Ishukone for being weak willed milktoast hippies.

That's a sad thing, to be honest. Omerta Syndicate concentrated on Ishukone RP way back in the day, and we painted them in an entirely different light.

According to our RP, Omerta Syndicate started out as an Ishukone subsidiary, doing extremely creepy black medical stuff while providing parent Ishukone with plausible deniability that they were behind it. Later, when some of these practices were discovered and brought to the public eye, Ishukone violently severed ties with us, resulting in the destruction of the majority of O-SYN corporate assets and the near loss of the corporation. After spending a time in hiding, the corporation reformed as a purely outlaw organization, and embarked on a public vendetta against Ishukone.

At one point, CCP threw us a juicy bone and brought us into an Ishukone live event which climaxed in our destroying a number of Ishukone Watch battleships. :D

In any case, that is what I think of when I think of Ishukone. Definitely not the granola-crunching hippies of the State.
Pages: 1 [2]