Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char once gave Kaleigh Doyle a lamb as a pet?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Channel Lore  (Read 7416 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: Channel Lore
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2013, 15:20 »

Even if the Summit is 'by capsuleers, for capsuleers,' there is frequently about 70-100 people hanging around in channel.

1) Why would a shy character go to a place with 100 strangers sitting around and talk about private matters?

2) All it takes is for 1 person to record the channel and release it on GalNet to get million or billions of people watching. There's no way this is not happening.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2013, 16:29 »

Even if the Summit is 'by capsuleers, for capsuleers,' there is frequently about 70-100 people hanging around in channel.

1) Why would a shy character go to a place with 100 strangers sitting around and talk about private matters?

2) All it takes is for 1 person to record the channel and release it on GalNet to get million or billions of people watching. There's no way this is not happening.

Yeah that's my thoughts on it really.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2013, 18:00 »

Neocomm is just for capsuleers?

Therefore anything that happens on it, by definition, cannot reach the baseliners without shenannigans.

Especially since the contact between the capsuleers and the baseliners is severely limited.

Jita 4-4, getting shot on sight etc?

Having capsuleer interaction shown to baseliners would be severely demoralizing for the baseliners who would probably have the whole empire sponsored capsuleer program shut down pretty fast if they knew what the hell the capsuleers are up to.

Just a point of view.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 24 Jun 2013, 18:06 »

1) Well, there's the sort of pseudo-privacy one can have by chatting in a small, quiet public environment with a few dozen lurkers, and then there's what we're talking about, here. I mean, I can see what you're trying to get at, but in my opinion the sheer difference in scale streches the comparison.

For example, I'm reasonably shy in real life (if not nearly as much as my character), yet I'm still posting here, a decently busy forum. However, if I knew my post was going to be seen by millions of people, I'd probably be too nervous to say a single word.

2) You have a fair point there, but honestly, I've of the opinion that a single Capsuleer probably couldn't command those sort of numbers and interest, realistically. It strikes me a bit as the roleplay community taking an idea established in the PF - In this case, that Capsuleers can easily become celebrities by virtue of their immense wealth and ability to perform larger then life feats - And taking it to an extreme the creators didn't intend it to be taken. (In the same sense as the "1 Isk = Enough to buy a mansion" idea people sometimes go with.)

I mean, Capsuleers are pretty rare and stuff, but there's still a ton around by now. Let's try to get some numbers here just for the sake of arguement. There's about 500,000 just from the present amount of active accounts, to start with, and one could generously times that by about ten or so for all the pilots who's accounts are inactive but still exist within the universe, which would bring us to about 5,000,000 ish. PF establishes that the independent Capsuleers that we play are actually in the minority, and that there's a bunch more directly in service to the Empires - We'll be generous again and only double the figure, taking it up to about 10,000,000.

If our market here is public interest, that's pretty darn saturated.

I don't dispute that if one were to go out of their way to get themselves in the public eye using their influence by making big charitable donations or opening space shopping malls or what-have-you, they could eventually become decently famous. But I'm pretty skeptical about a Capsuleer gaining massive amounts of fans and popularity just by the virtue of existing, when there's so many about that it's probably not that much of a novelty anymore. The default state is probably obscurity.

Why would baseliners care so much about a single comms channel with a relatively pretty small amount of participants, when there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of other public or corporate channels with a much greater participation? What's a hundred shmucks in the face of such a massive pool of individuals?

The IGS perhaps warrants such attention canonically because it is the official CONCORD Capsuleer forum, (which is why Gwen talks completely differently there then anywhere else) but the Summit is no such thing, despite the name.

Then again, I can respect other peoples interpretations. I'm just a fan of keeping things understated.

Edit: Thinking on it, I'm not sure I agree with the statement of "There's no way that isn't happening", either. If the channel was intended to be private, it'd be pretty easy to track whoever was leaking it to the public and force them to face concequences for it. Just handwaving it seems a bit odd.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2013, 19:51 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2013, 02:39 »

Plx don't nerf asocial and shy characters even more kthx !  :P

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2013, 16:35 »

Why would baseliners care so much about a single comms channel with a relatively pretty small amount of participants, when there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of other public or corporate channels with a much greater participation? What's a hundred shmucks in the face of such a massive pool of individuals?

Those are not IC channels. Thus they do not 'exist' to baseliners.

If you can find more active IC channels than The Summit, great. I would still assume that someone is watching it and rebroadcasting it. It's a big universe, and we may live in pods, but we don't live in bubbles.

In addition, Summit would be more interesting than other channels to baseliners due to the type of folks who inhabit it. Baseliners don't care about nullsec intrigue, it doesn't affect them in the least. Summit, however, is still mainly populated by 'loyalists' who seek to influence the world of the NPC factions, something that concerns average people quite a bit. I can think of no other IC channel in all of galnet that the average Joe living on a planet would rather listen in on, and where there is demand, there is always a way. Even if one were to block 100% of all outside access (ha!) then it only takes one pilot to leak the feed. Who is to say no one is doing that? Who is to say it isn't me, for that matter?
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2013, 16:40 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2013, 17:41 »

Grealyn, you're leaking. ;)

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2013, 18:49 »

Those are not IC channels. Thus they do not 'exist' to baseliners.

Not sure I agree with this. While I'll obviously concede that baseliners don't see people talking about Game of Thrones or how they've been looking for a job for six months or whatever on any given OOC channel, I wouldn't say those channels don't exist... And I definitely wouldn't say the pilots themselves don't. With so many Capsuleers in the world, the notion that our handful of IC channels are the only ones that "exist" in setting seems an even more crazy idea to accept then the presence of OOC content itself, which can easily be attributed to Capsuleers losing their marbles.

To me, roleplay is applying a filter over the world, giving everything that doesn't quite fit a gentle nudge in the IC direction while still considering them to be present - Not cutting out parts that aren't agreeable to the IC standard altogether.

If you can find more active IC channels than The Summit, great. I would still assume that someone is watching it and rebroadcasting it. It's a big universe, and we may live in pods, but we don't live in bubbles.

I don't doubt it - My belief is that I think very few people would watch them.

In addition, Summit would be more interesting than other channels to baseliners due to the type of folks who inhabit it. Baseliners don't care about nullsec intrigue, it doesn't affect them in the least.

Do you have a canon source for this statement? Because - To be quite frank - If I were a normal person in the Eve universe, I'd be way more interested in the huge mass of people out forging crazy space fiefdoms and getting into ludicrous wars out in the frontiers then the ones doing more or less the same as my local navy/local enemies navy. I don't give a hoot about America's military or what it's up to beyond the general details, for example, but if something like Capsuleers existed in our world, and were independent, no less, I'd be fixated upon their affairs with a mixture of intrigue and horror.

Familiarity breeds contempt. I don't like to hear about current events that concern me too much and too directly, especially when I'm trying to relax. It's stressful. I want to hear about crazy, unpredictable over the top stuff going on far enough away that it doesn't impact my actual life in a meaningful manner.

And hell, I certainly read a hell of a lot more about nullsec politics before I joined Eve then anything else, because frankly, the faction war just isn't that interesting.

Summit, however, is still mainly populated by 'loyalists' who seek to influence the world of the NPC factions, something that concerns average people quite a bit.

Keep in mind that even if we accept the notion that baseliners are more interested in loyalist Capsuleers, we'd still be hardly unique in being considered so. All the thousands of mission runners, all people running faction warfare, all of them are still playing a part in the NPC world rather then striking out on their own - And so would likely be considered of no less interest then any of us. And all of them likely chat in their own little circles, just as we do.

Why would we be of special note?

I can think of no other IC channel in all of galnet that the average Joe living on a planet would rather listen in on, and where there is demand, there is always a way. Even if one were to block 100% of all outside access (ha!) then it only takes one pilot to leak the feed. Who is to say no one is doing that? Who is to say it isn't me, for that matter?

Again, it's not that I believe the feed wouldn't get leaked - Just that it wouldn't be notable enough to attract the sort of masses people like to talk about in the Summit. Not to say that it wouldn't get a few curious fewers, but not on that scale. In my opinion, as roleplayers, we might be the only people who make a conscious effort to interface with the setting... But that certainly doesn't mean that it revolves around us, or that we're the only people truly "of" it.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get all "urdoingitwrong" as people say, here. Despite my arguements, I can understand where people get the idea of capsuleers as supercelebrities from, and it's a valid interpretation. And I can accept that it's the official angle you've decided to run with, since it is, after all, your channel. But I personally find it a little contrary to my personal understanding of the setting, so I prefer to ignore it.

All roleplay is half subjective imagination, anyway. It doesn't matter much. Baseliners can never do anything to affect Capsuleers in any way beyond what one chooses to roleplay since they aren't represented in game whatever, so what difference does it make if zillions of them are following our every move... Or if none at all, are? It's easy enough to sidestep the few times it does come up in roleplay, and I'm happy to continue to do so - I just wanted to express my sentiments on the matter, since it came up.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2013, 18:56 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 13 Sep 2013, 09:40 »

Let me put it this way.

100,000 people died in Syria this last year or two.  Many times that in Africa these last few decades to different warlords and ethnic conflicts.

However, if you were anywhere near a news site or a television after Miley Cyrus shaked her ass in a particular manner one recent evening, you would think this was the only important thing happening in the entire universe.

I think the baseliners would be FAR more interested in the petty social gossiping and personal back and forths of the summit than what some faceless warlords are out doing out in the far edge of space.

Pages: 1 [2]