Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When EVE first launched, the highest and most dangerous NPC imaginable was a 50k Cruiser?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Channel Lore  (Read 7417 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Channel Lore
« on: 17 Jun 2013, 14:44 »

Heyas, I was just thinking it might be cool to set up an evelopedia page for the Summit, with things like baseliner subscriber counts, channel history, etc. It seems like the channel has enough of an IC existence at this point that it'd be helpful.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
Re: Channel Lore
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2013, 15:08 »

Probably a good idea. It may even draw in more players, which is good since the channel is sometimes used by event actors.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2013, 15:55 »

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Role_play_chat_channels ?

The Summit

The Summit is arguably the most popular and frequented roleplay channel. It regularly hosts a wide variety of personalities, drawn from across many of the organizations in New Eden. Conversation varies from day to day, and as it is basically something of a mirror of the Forum-based roleplay channel the Intergalactic Summit, there is often various topics being discussed. Run partly in conjunction with the organizers of The Chatsubo ( http://eve-chatsubo.com ), a popular OOC forum for a part of the RP community. )

Exactly.

And besides, thats OOC, I'm thinking more of an IC page on the channel as it exists within New Eden.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2013, 17:09 »

WHAT IS THE SUMMIT?
'The Summit' is a heavily augmented and fortified node on a dedicated fluidcomm router system specifically optimized for capsuleer interfacing. Built by the CONCORD/Communications Relay Commision, the channel was built to the highest specifications and with the most state-of-the-art and sometimes even experimental fluidcomm technologies. It was eventually seen as a failure by CONCORD and was allowed to be purchased by the public sector. Due to it's origins, there are still aspects of the core code within The Summit that are not fully understood by it's operations staff...
It is not a physical place, but rather a virtual environment that can be distributed and accessed in several forms and versions. 'The Summit' can be linked into from the capsule, from any cam/vid interface out of a pod, or even in pure audio format while you wander around a station/planetside on business. Pilots without a visual feed can be represented by static images to those who are visually interfacing, and live feeds can be established from anyone just perusing the node from their desk somewhere.
Though baseliners can access The Summit (with some difficulty and tweaking), they are generally treated as outsiders by the node's users and operators, as they are not the intended demographic.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Anslol

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2013, 07:20 »

I....actually really like this idea. It could be kind of cool to see. So basically it'd be like an IC version of the Big 'Ol Honkin' List of Channels, but with descriptions and a bit of lore behind them (i.e. how the Beach was found, who opened Skyhook, etc), right?

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2013, 08:52 »

It'd be really cool. We could even add old channels which are no longer in use but which have a big history behind them, like Le Maison.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2013, 10:25 »

I....actually really like this idea. It could be kind of cool to see. So basically it'd be like an IC version of the Big 'Ol Honkin' List of Channels, but with descriptions and a bit of lore behind them (i.e. how the Beach was found, who opened Skyhook, etc), right?

I can make another thread like that with the same format.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Corso.Verne

• sons of liberty
  • Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2013, 22:47 »

I think we should focus on a detailed diagram of all the Summit love connections, with up to date additions/modifications. Don't act like you don't want it to exist.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2013, 04:14 »

Sounds like a great plan, except for the baseliner subscription amounts.

That is pretty much all Mary Sue and handwaving validation for your own importance.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2013, 05:26 »

Agreeing with Lallara about the baseliner quotes - a simple 'Watched eagerly by many enthusiastic baseliners, like many of the broadcast goings on of empyreans' would suffice, as numbers are going to be arbitrary, and even if true, likely to provide fodder for detractors and others who will look for any hand hold to cause trouble. 

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2013, 06:39 »

I will say that I personally dislike the idea that the Summit has, in it's internal canon, millions/billions of viewers. It sort of makes the whole thing seem... Sort of weird and tacky, considering people routinely have extremely casual conversations there with personal details that are obviously intended for a private context. Either it feels dissonant, or like extremely bad reality TV.

Also, I find myself being forced to pretend it isn't so OOCly, since my character - being a pretty private, almost shy person - simply wouldn't show her face on something exposed to so many people, but actually ceasing to go to the channel would sever myself from the only source of easy access, all hours roleplay seemingly in the community.

But of course, it's not my channel, so.

Anyway, that being said, I like the idea!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2013, 07:20 »

Same.

Anslol

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2013, 08:05 »

I can make another thread like that with the same format.

Do it.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:32 »

I'm on Gwen and Lyn's side of the fence, here. The Summit strikes me as a "by capsuleers, for capsuleers" channel. Assuming that it's something watched by billions of baseliners really changes the character of it. Matter of fact, we might be able to assume that it was created specifically to avoid baseliner voyeurism.
Pages: [1] 2