Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge. Check out more here!

Author Topic: Test Results  (Read 510 times)

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
Test Results
« on: 13 Jun 2013, 16:51 »

She sat on the edge of the examination table consciously restraining herself from swinging her legs or bouncing up and down.  It was not easy as nervous energy and anxiety buzzed throughout her body.  Having to wear the hospital gown did help cool off the urge to fidget; she had to wonder if she had been given one a size too small, or if it was just her imagination.  For the last four hours she had been poked, prodded, forced to stare into bright lights, endure needles, and a host of other tests.  She tried to ignore the looks from the technicians, but she knew they must have been joking about her pale skin or some other imperfection.  All she wanted to do was get dressed and get back to her dorm room and put the whole day behind her.

A knock on the door snapped her attention back to the immediate moment and a fraction of a second later the door slid open and a tall raven-haired woman dressed all in white and carrying a datapad entered the room.  She tried hard not to stare at the doctor, but the angular features, the sharp piercing gaze of those green eyes and the way in which the lab coat seemed to accentuate the curves of her body made it hard not to just gaze and openly admire the woman.  Feeling the warmth in her cheeks, she quickly looked away from the doctor.

"Ms. Saissore, I am Doctor Morraine.  The preliminary results of your tests are back and there are just a few questions I need to ask."

Not trusting herself to speak, she merely nodded in acknowledgement.

"Now, the first question, have you been taking any drugs, medicinal or otherwise, in the last week?"

Steffanie frowned and shook her head.  "Umm, no.  Why?"

"Just a standard question my dear.  It's part of the whole process and can help us a great deal.  So, nothing at all?  Okay, good.  Do you exercise frequently?"

"I...I make use of the gym on campus...three to four times a week...I guess."  She watched as the doctor tapped the display and wondered what this was all about.  "I...I didn't pass the physical, did I?"

"Is that what you think happened?  No, this is all standard procedure.  We won't know till all the results are back."

Steffanie blushed in embarrassment yet felt relieved at the same time.  Still, she did not expect to make it into the program since it all really came down to genetics.  "Are we almost done?"

"Almost my dear.  There are just a few more questions and then we should be done till we get the full test results back."

She nodded, feeling a bit more relaxed now that she knew the whole ordeal was almost over.  The next batch of questions were pretty straightforward, age (20), height, weight, and other inquiries that she felt were kind of silly.

"You're doing well.  We're almost done.  Have you, to your knowledge, had any gene-modding or other physical enhancements done to your body?  This would also include any implants, cosmetic surgeries, or anything along those lines."

"Um...no.  I...well, I've thought about it...but, no.  I don't think I've...uh...had surgery ever."  The question was an odd one, but she guessed people would have attempted to fake compatibility to get into the program and they were making sure.

"Okay," the doctor stated and tapped something on her pad.  "One last question and I apologize now for the personal nature, but it is important.  Have you been sexually active in the last six months?"

She could only imagine how red her cheeks were as they felt extremely hot at that moment.  Sure, she had a girlfriend...her first ever, but aside from cuddling together that had been as far as things had gone...she forced the thoughts back down, not wanting to get any more awkward in front of the attractive doctor.  Unable to look at the doctor, she focused on a random spot on the pristine white floor.  "Err...no...I...no.  Still a ah virgin."  Steffanie wanted nothing more than to just hide at that moment.

"A virgin?  Now, you don't have to be ashamed.  You don't have to give me numbers and all and it is perfectly natural."

She shook her head vigorously.  "I...ah..haven't slept with anyone...ever.  Please, are we done now?  I...it's been a long day..."

"Oh, I'm sorry my dear.  Yes, that was all.  We should have the full results back by the end of the month at which point you will be called back should you be compatible."

When the doctor had left and her clothes returned, she spent a few minutes fighting back the urge to cry.  She knew everyone back at the dorm had at least a partner if not more.  It was not that she did not want to have sex...the way just cuddling with her girlfriend made her feel, she really looked forward to going all the way, but she was scared.  The fact that Allison had asked her out a week ago still had not fully settled in.  She still did not understand what Allison saw in her...skin paler than white milk, roundish face...she did not mind the muscle tone or definition, but assumed most would find her muscular frame at least a little intimating.  No, she really could not understand why someone would find her appealing.

Pulling on the tight pants and form fitting top...clothing Allison had picked out for her and not her regular choice of baggy clothes, she quickly made her way out of the infirmary and walked most of the way back to the dorm.

"Let me get this straight.  The girl has no knowledge about any genetic manipulation or modding at all?"

The doctor shook her head and looked at her boss.  "No, none whatsoever.  As far as she knows, she's just an average girl."

The director scoffed and leaned back in his leather chair.  "Average my ass.  Not only is she a candidate for the program, but someone managed to, without her knowledge, enhance most of her physical attributes.  These results are incredible.  I would almost be tempted to transfer her to the DUST project, but the Navy needs more pilots apparently so we get to keep her.  Who would have had the ability to do this?  Physicians are required to report any gene therapy or modification so it couldn't be the family doctor..."

The doctor scrolled through the pad and highlighted a section of text before handing the pad over to her boss.  "We might want to ask her a few questions."

"I'll be damned...Head of one of CAS's top genetic laboratories?  Yes, I think you're right, doctor.  Contact your friend over in Intelligence and let him know he might want to take a closer look at the senior lab tech over in R&D.  Amazing that no one caught on...and very dangerous.  Should we proceed with acceptance of the girl into the program?"

The doctor pursed her lips in thought and slowly inclined her head.  "Yes.  If her body rejects the initial implants, we lose nothing and it wouldn't be the first time that we had to flush an unstable patient should things degrade.  If we don't, Navy and Intel may wonder why we passed over a promising candidate."

"Very well.  I'll leave the details in your capable hands doctor.  Good day."
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
Re: Test Results
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2013, 01:00 »

Damn sneaky scientists. Can't trust them at all.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.