Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ships in EVE have crews?  Really.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: You damn, dirty robots! (A Discussion About AI in Summit)  (Read 6088 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
Re: You damn, dirty robots! (A Discussion About AI in Summit)
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2013, 09:37 »

Hello.

Synthia has a pattern of speech that people recognise. She also comments on things that seem trivial or irrelevant to other people, as if it was the most important thing in the universe.

As best as I can, I also try and not have Synthia appear to show emotion.

Also
I'd say any AI in a human body ought to be played with a great deal of awareness of just how fragile and resource-consuming such a build would be. Avoid physical combat unless fully armored, be slower moving than most Sci-Fi cyborg/androids are, and be very suspicious of any direct-contact info-transfers which might introduce corrupt code, virus', trojans, worms, or other attacks. In short, given the anti-AI atmosphere in New Eden, any actual AI's are ultra-vulnerable because humanity has not put that much energy into upgrading them.
This could lead to an awesome characterization of a hyper-intelligent being which is utterly crippled by fear of its own fragility.
This is an interesting post, although it does not apply as much to Synthia as it does to other people.

Synthia, is complicated. Each "Synthia" is essentially a remote-operated roboticised human, built using Takmahl-derived technologies. Takmahl being one of the ancient, vanished, cultures that feature in the COSMOS constellations. Takmahl technologies included cybernetics and bio-engineering, including a device called a "biodroid controller".
The entity that is operating the Synthia-robots, is... more complicated.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jun 2013, 09:39 »

I can recommend reviewing small mission arc "New Frontiers" (lvl3, random combat mission) about AI.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jun 2013, 10:19 »

Until CCP states unequivocally that there is such a thing as an AI-controlled biologically-human shell, I'm going to make the blanket assumption that anyone claiming to be such a thing has what I would diplomatically describe as "a colourful imagination."

And the robot legions rely upon your naivete so that they can move into position to take over :P

I will point out that Eve science has reached the point where an entire human consciousness can be reduced to a datastream - one that can be transferred almost instantaneously across the entire cluster (and possibly further).  It's a very small leap from there to an AI controlling a human shell, assuming the AI is sufficiently advanced to interface with all the appropriate nerves.  Cybernetics help in this no end.  Both of my AIs largely exist only in cyberspace, but their meat shells, when they choose to use them, have a lot of reworked Sansha tech in them to make the cyberspace/meatspace interface easier.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2013, 10:30 »

Until CCP states unequivocally that there is such a thing as an AI-controlled biologically-human shell, I'm going to make the blanket assumption that anyone claiming to be such a thing has what I would diplomatically describe as "a colourful imagination."
I tend to agree with you in this case.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jun 2013, 11:32 »

Where do those AIs come from ? Rogue drones ?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jun 2013, 11:49 »

Rogue Drones exist in a grey area where they may or may not have true Artificial Intelligence ... it's played around with frequently. Most players who tap into it presume that some form exists, though.

Conventional AI research is banned in CONCORD signatory space (IIRC), so by nature AI usage is criminal/illegal. If you are not starting off as a Rogue Drone AI, this is the next best area I would think.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Anslol

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jun 2013, 12:11 »

(1) Rogue Drones exist in a grey area where they may or may not have true Artificial Intelligence ... it's played around with frequently. Most players who tap into it presume that some form exists, though.

(2) Conventional AI research is banned in CONCORD signatory space (IIRC), so by nature AI usage is criminal/illegal. If you are not starting off as a Rogue Drone AI, this is the next best area I would think.

(1) Confirmed. Some funky missions and stories have you doing things that bring up the AI thing. It's border for some of them I guess, them being drones. The Deltole mission that has you bringing a drone an embryo is an interesting nod.

(2) Also Confirmed. No AI research because of CONCORD. In high-sec anyway...

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #22 on: 14 Jun 2013, 12:26 »

Aura?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jun 2013, 12:40 »

Aura is, as I understand it, little more than a talking program - not a true AI, as its responses are fairly inflexible and standardized across all pilots. I'd rate it as something perhaps a bit above Siri or that computer that plays Jeopardy.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jun 2013, 12:42 »

Aura is like a talking GPS no ?

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #25 on: 14 Jun 2013, 12:46 »

Aura is, as I understand it, little more than a talking program - not a true AI, as its responses are fairly inflexible and standardized across all pilots. I'd rate it as something perhaps a bit above Siri or that computer that plays Jeopardy.

To use a Mass Effect analogy, Aura is a VI according to the wiki, so that's fair.

Having said that, there is a rather interesting tidbit on said wiki - the original prototypes of Aura didn't talk to you.  They screwed with the capsuleer's brainwaves as a form of telepathy.

Reyd Karris

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jun 2013, 14:10 »

I'll see your CCP, and raise you a Tony G. Jamyl Sarum in Templar One.

Yes, I know. No need to thank me. Just smile and nod.  :yar:

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 Jun 2013, 16:42 »

Who says an AI has to be unemotional?

I give you the Mistake Not... or more fully the Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath

Minds, who are definitely my favourite AI's around, are anything but unemotional. If nothing else just take the behaviour of the Beats Working from the same book (The Hydrogen Sonata). It deftly analyses and games the behaviour of an alien race, in order to speed them up without insulting them. When this puts them in danger it throws itself into a fight it knows it will likely not win because it feels some obligation to those it has assisted.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #28 on: 14 Jun 2013, 18:36 »

Who says an AI has to be unemotional?

I give you the Mistake Not... or more fully the Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath

Minds, who are definitely my favourite AI's around, are anything but unemotional. If nothing else just take the behaviour of the Beats Working from the same book (The Hydrogen Sonata). It deftly analyses and games the behaviour of an alien race, in order to speed them up without insulting them. When this puts them in danger it throws itself into a fight it knows it will likely not win because it feels some obligation to those it has assisted.

Ahh, the Culture.  I've only read Player of Games and Consider Phlebas, but both were fascinating concepts.  There's a little influence from the AI there on my constructs - Masque definitely has a bit of Mawrin-Skel going on.

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #29 on: 15 Jun 2013, 10:24 »

Excession is recommended reading if you want an insight into how Minds plot, scheme, and generally play games with each other and the minions they control.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5