Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Saxon Hawke's son Ravi died in a drug-related hovercar crash that had connections to the Serpentis "Aenebra" cult? Read more about it here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Greatest SF & F books  (Read 2960 times)

Shiori

Re: Greatest SF & F books
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jun 2013, 02:16 »

I c what you did there. ❤

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jun 2013, 04:30 »

Also, wading through the part of the Perry Rhodan series that has been translated to English.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 05 Jun 2013, 05:35 »

Oh, Fire and Hemlock is also a good choice ... as is Eight Days of Luke.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jun 2013, 06:47 »

- The Predator Cities tetrology starting with Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve.

This is definitely one of my favourites too. I'd love to do some RP set in that universe. Its just so brilliant.

I'll toss in The Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton (first book, Pandora's Star) Put my and Stitcher in a channel and tell us to talk about these books and we'll be able to just go for hours.

The Aldous Lexicon by Michael Lawrence (first book A Crack in the Line) This is like, psuedo-sci-fi, pseudo-fantasy. The whole series is very melancholy, but its very very good.

Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson (first book, Hidden Empire) Really crazy awesome space opera. Very soft science but still very good. Living hydrogen beings, tree people, giant space battles...its good.

The Alex Benedict Series, by Jack McDevitt, (A Talent for War, Polaris, Seeker, The Devil's Eye, and there are a few more out I haven't had a chance to read yet) This is kind of like, Sherlock Holmes meets Indiana Jones, meets deep space.

Anything by Ben Bova, with a planet's name as the title. Decently hard sci-fi, very good. Parts tend to drag on though.

Halting State, and its sequal Rule 34, by Charles Stross. 20 minutes into the future, everything is awesome.

Stolen (not sci-fi) By Lucy Christopher, this one is very good, though rather heartwrenching. I finished reading it, then wandered around in a daze for three hours. 

I need to do some more reading I think. Been a while since I sat down with a good book.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2013, 10:44 by Saede Riordan »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 05 Jun 2013, 08:22 »

Starship Troopers, Robert A. Heinlein

Desiderya

« Reply #20 on: 05 Jun 2013, 08:38 »

Poor Vonnegut appears in a Sci-Fi / Fantasy list yet again. It is a tremendous book, though.

Regarding Fantasy things I've enjoyed Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy and especially 'Best Served Cold' as a singular read.
And Sci-Fi, let's summon up a classic, shall we? Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #21 on: 05 Jun 2013, 09:52 »

A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula Le Guin
Use of Weapons - Iain M Banks
Lirael - Garth Nix

Philip Reeve's Mortal Engine's quartet has already been mentioned, but I love it to bits so it's worth mentioning again.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #22 on: 05 Jun 2013, 10:39 »

Oh, hell yes the Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen series by Garth Nix are fabulous.

Anything by Alaister Reynolds, notably Century Rain and Terminal World. House of Sons is also great.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2013, 13:49 by kalaratiri »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #23 on: 05 Jun 2013, 10:46 »

Oh yeah the Abhorsen series is great.

I've never quite been able to get into Alaister Reynolds.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 05 Jun 2013, 13:50 »

Shout out for having Hyperion and The Forever War on that list.  Great works.

Couple of Sci-fi books I would add.

The Berserker Series -- Fred Saberhage.  Some of my favorite space-opera.  Influencial and entertaining. 

A Canticle for Leibowitz -- Probably the first book to really paint a post-apocalypic life vividly, very influencial for its day.  I loved it.  That I grew up in the areas described in the book only made it more impactful for me.

Red Mars -- Kim Stanley Robinson -- great hard sci-fi.  Engrossing and entertaining. Followed by Green Mars and Blue Mars

Fantasy series

The Farseer Trilogy -- love this series.  Best first person narrative Ive ever read, at least from my perspective. 

« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2013, 15:24 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #25 on: 05 Jun 2013, 13:54 »

Reynolds does some wonderful space opera, as well as a pretty good detective novel. Terminal World is less of that and is actually more steampunk, set entirely on one planet, and mostly in one city. Where Reynolds really shines though is his ability to set a story over decades and even centuries, really capturing the distances involved in serious space travel.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #26 on: 05 Jun 2013, 15:21 »

Red Mars -- Kim Stanley Robinson -- great hard sci-fi.  Engrossing and entertaining. Followed by Green Mars and Blue Mars

Oooh yeah, big bucket of this.

In fantasy, I would also like to submit Pratchett's 'Reaper Man'.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 06 Jun 2013, 10:13 »

Huh, don't think I saw these, so I'll offer them up.

On Basilisk Station, by David Weber, but only if you like or can stand C.S.Forester style writing.  The later books in the series can get overblown (the arms race this writer started will probably end in blowing up a world), but the early stuff is good.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis.  Yes its all highly Christian related, blah blah blah.  But if you can get past that, its a nice adventure story where the trees talk, and animals invite you in for tea.

And if we're allowed books in bigger universes, Aaron Allston, start with Wraith Squadron and learn the meaning of "Yub yub Commander." 

I'll second anything by Zahn.  And someday I will read Ender's Game just to learn what all the hype is about.  Other than that, I don't know, haven't read much published fiction these days.

Corso.Verne

• sons of liberty
  • Clonejack
« Reply #28 on: 06 Jun 2013, 12:41 »

A few more suggestions, now that I've had time to gather my thoughts a bit.

The Dresden Files - Urban fantasy series by Jim Butcher, up to more than 10 novels and he writes them fairly quickly, at least once a year. The first novel is Storm Front. The series has a film noir tone, and its about Harry Dresden, private investigator and Chicago's only real live listed Wizard. Butcher's writing style definitely isn't the best in this list, and some of you more literary types might cringe at the overall quality, but his characters are interesting, his world is fascinating, and his pacing keeps you hooked very similar to the way in which Rowling is capable of.

The Silmarillion - more a history book than a fantasy novel, the post-mortem companion piece to Tolkien's the Lord of the Rings. This book is NOT for everyone. If you hated history in school, maybe not up your alley. Its dense, and very dry in most places. But if you can get past all that, the world Tolkien created is on par with none. He truly was the grandfather of world building.

The Dark Elf Trilogy - The first novel in the series is Homeland, I believe. A bit sophomoric. Salvatore isn't going to be winning any Pulitzer's anytime soon. But the character of Drizzt Do'Urden, while arguably damaging to the preteen fantasy community, has captured so many people's imagination for a reason. His fight scenes are also extremely complex and elaborate, take that as a pro or con as you will.

The Picture of Dorian Grey - I think this one qualifies as fantasy, right? Or maybe science fiction? Anyway, Oscar Wilde at his best. The rest speaks for itself.

The Divine Comedy - Italy's great epic, Dante Alighieri has done so much to shape our conception of the afterlife that the average first-world citizen often can't tell the difference between the Biblical myths and Dante's. Obviously, its a 14th century poetic epic, so not exactly super accessible. Also, be forewarned that more than anything, the DC was just as much a tool for political commentary than anything else, so most of the time Dante is shit talking politicians we've never heard of and don't understand the relevance for. But if you can find a simplified translation or wrack your brain over the original poetry, there's all sorts of juice in there. Inferno is obviously the most popular, Purgatorio And Paradisio are hit and miss.

Paradise Lost - 17th century England's answer to Dante, pretty much any misconceptions we have about God and Biblical myth that weren't established by Dante are the fault of John Milton. Perhaps one of the last great epic poems so far in history, although Milton's epic is only slightly more accessible than Dante's, the story that he weaves about God and Lucifer, angels and men, has shaped the spiritual consciousness of the Western world for centuries.

That's it for now. I'm sure I can think of more.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #29 on: 06 Jun 2013, 19:08 »

Two series I very highly recommend:

The Entire and the Rose By Kay Kenyon
http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Sky-Book-Entire-Rose/dp/1591026016

Absolutely incredible and unique series of books.  Some of the greatest ideas I have ever read. 
Unlike any other sci-fi

The Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett
http://www.amazon.com/Gaunts-Ghosts-Founding-Novels/dp/1844163695/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370567174&sr=1-1&keywords=gaunts+ghosts+omnibus

Without a doubt the greatest action author I have ever read.  He writes Warhammer 40K books that are like a WWII documentary and the original Star Wars in their old established realism.
Pages: 1 [2] 3