Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The CBD megacorporation is a major importer/exporter in the State?

Author Topic: Why was this modded?  (Read 2386 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Why was this modded?
« on: 03 Jun 2013, 07:23 »

backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=4876.0

How does this break rule 3? The only insult I believe I have used is "circlejerk". Moreover, I don't see how this is trying to settle a dispute because as far as what is written, the content doesn't involve me.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Why was this modded?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2013, 10:03 »

Looks like it was modded primarily for referencing a disagreement ingame.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2013, 10:58 »

What disagreement is this? Wasn't aware moderation is based on gossip and hearsay.
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2013, 11:03 by Seriphyn »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jun 2013, 11:11 »

What disagreement is this? Wasn't aware moderation is based on gossip and hearsay.

I'm not going to speak to Cia's decision to moderate here, but it's not exactly "gossip" or "hearsay" when you come to me directly ingame and ask about a situation involving yourself, and then pose a question or statement about an identical scenario on Backstage a day or two later with names removed.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jun 2013, 11:15 »

How is that situation related to maintaining consistency in Backstage moderation? People reference in-game events all the time when posting on this forum.

Scherezad

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2013, 12:50 »

Just to clear up any confusion on his original post; it wasn't written to spite me. It seems honest enough.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2013, 15:03 »

I guess it was modded because mods considered it to go against rule 3 special bit about "attacking groups". Even if I know that it was probably only and actually targeting a syndrome rather than a specific group, maybe it was ambiguous enough to be modded.

Oh wait. Ambiguous.

Note : concerning the rest, I agree with Seriphyn, I think any other reason to mod does not make any sense. It was actually a good point and a very endemic post.
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2013, 15:05 by Lyn Farel »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jun 2013, 17:02 »

From a moderator's perspective, the last part alone, where you explicitly call other groups in the community a 'circlejerk' is a clear breach of rule 3. It also flirts with rule 11 since by stripping off the names but clearly referencing people and groups who would be aware you were referring to them you are trolling and offering up flamebait, and by going a circuitous route, to paraphrase: "There is group x, who I won't name here but who participated in this specific, recent incident I will describe in detail. Their behavior means they should be called a circle jerk." That looks like a long way round to call someone names when you are trying to avoid breaching the rules.

That's why I would have modded it. Specifically.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jun 2013, 19:16 »

With no knowledge of the specific incident in question, but some experience of the larger SITUATION, I find myself having a strong opinion on exactly who you're referencing here, Seri. Moreover I bet that there are certainly people - both those involved in the specific incident and those who habitually form certain opinions in the larger SITUATION - who feel that the specific insult is directed firmly at them.

Which will lead to the kind of bad feeling and arguments that the rules mentioned are specifically there, not so much to eliminate as to eliminate from THIS forum.

I honestly feel that directly referencing the incident in question to the people involved - perhaps by a group evemail, or even OOC ingame client - would be more productive.

At the very least, by avoiding words like 'circlejerk' you might actually get some sort of a cogent response from the other parties. Framing the situation the way that you did will not make the people you're addressing more likely to engage.