Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rogue Drones are drones that operate outside of human control, pursuing some mysterious goal of their own?

Author Topic: [Faction] Brothers of Freedom  (Read 1764 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
[Faction] Brothers of Freedom
« on: 14 May 2010, 20:07 »

I came across the Caldari storyline mission "Pirate Radio" today and it piqued my interest in the Brothers of Freedom group.  There doesn't seem to be much out there in the EVEosphere about the group since 2007 when they came up in IC news articles and forum posts as part of a live event (at the very end of AURORA's run, it seems).  I wasn't playing EVE back in 2007 when this AURORA-backed story arc took place, but it seems to have been given a tenuous link to the future via the above-mentioned mission text.  I also notice that the capsuleer leader of the group, Melarius Torvil, is still an active character in the still active Brothers of Freedom corp.  Looking for an interesting RP direction to take with my Caldari main and two Minnie alts, I am wondering if this is a viable avenue to explore.

What I've read of the in-game AURORA-driven events related to this topic is tainted by the apparent disdain felt for the anticlimactic finale of the story arc (it's plain as day on the Chatsubo threads how disappointed some of the SF pilots were at the whimper of a conclusion).  What exists in the PF material and RP stuff from the beginning of the arc is nevertheless interesting.  Since it was the mission text that got me interested, let me drop it here so you don't have to go looking:

Pirate Radio

Mission Briefing
The "Brothers of Freedom" have set up an FTL transmitter in the area of Alikara and are broadcasting anti-corporate propaganda into the State, with the help of some Minmatar sympathizers. This situation is completely unacceptable; the transmitter must be destroyed, and we want you take care of it. Eliminate the transmitter and any hostile ships nearby. If the Minmatar Navy interferes, you can take out their vessels as well, but it's not strictly necessary.

The Brothers of Freedom
Formerly an extremist labor movement in the State, the Brothers of Freedom led a widespread revolt against corporate security forces on a number of Caldari planets a number of years ago -- some time before Tibus Heth's vastly more successful revolt of a similar nature -- after 65,000 protesters were killed by Caldari paramilitary forces while trying to force their way onto a CEP station in the New Caldari system. After months of dogged pursuit by Caldari authorities, the riots were put down and most of the leaders were killed or arrested.

Some of the leadership, including the ringleader Melarius Torvil, did manage to escape the final Caldari Navy operation that crushed the Brothers' movement. Torvil and a small group of associates fled to the Minmatar Republic and applied for asylum from Caldari persecution, which was granted by President Midular's Gallente-friendly government.

Today, though they have been largely eliminated as a major force in the State, the Brothers of Freedom continue to spread anti-corporate propaganda and speak out against the CEP's government in the Gallente Federation and the Minmatar Nation, as well as outlying State settlements and facilities.

The group comes up quite a bit during early summer '07 and I'll drop some links in here to the most substantive material:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Year_YC109#May
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1457&tid=6
http://cain.excidium.net/news.html?id=17
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1515&tid=6

The final article listed appears to be the last official word on the group's fate, at least the last that I could find with some basic searching.  What else is known about the group and its since the end of that AURORA arc?  Does anyone know more about what took place between May and August '07 with regards to the actual in-game events?  I am interested in what sort of agenda the BoF may now pursue seeing as their original objectives seem to have been met in some ways by Tibus Heth and the Provist revolution.  If they're still infiltrating anti-State propaganda into Caldari space, what have they got against the new government?  Might they simply now be a front organization for the Black Eagles under a Roden administration apparently quite keen on subterfuge against Heth?

Thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2010, 09:42 by Ken »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Brothers of Freedom
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2010, 20:44 »

The BoF... and the Acheron Federation (surviving member STRIX) vs CAIN / APEX Wars.  CAIN & APEX did/do not work together.

Frustratingly all the entries lack information on the conflict.

I was a grunt in CAIN at the time; lost a Blackbird versus one of the capsuleer BoFs.

For those who fought the BoF; they are the same as Heth in many ways.  Heth just succeed.

Akikio L

• Wetgraver
    • Akikio's Plog
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2010, 09:17 »

A chron about BoF that kind of explains why and how they disappeared  8) : http://www.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=02-07-07

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2010, 09:24 »

Thank you much!