Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Unusual RP angles: Sansha Edition  (Read 7009 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Unusual RP angles: Sansha Edition
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2010, 12:36 »

The not forcing ideologies on others bit. I'm not sure that it is that cut and dried. While there is on the one hand the history with the Gallente (and the current 'cultural imperialism' that Heth leveraged to stir people up against them), I don't think that forcing their ideology on people is something that megacorporations necessarily shy away from. At least, I think it is arguable.  :D

As for PR, during my time in Naqam Izzy, Carcosa Hali, and I, among others, waged a fairly long PR campaign that was - I think - to some degree successful.

Of course, were I to go back to that, the more recent events would be a bit of a setback. :X

Although it is worth noting that the current Sansha invasion isn't out of line with Silver's public stance on the Nation. I took the easy way out, and said that the True Slaves were a tragic mistake.

Anyway, I can try and find some of that Pr stuff, if you're interested in the tack we took to try and portray the Nation as not the cluster's 'borg'.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2010, 15:03 »

I used to be pretty heavy on it, somewhat again, too.

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=394838

Also just recently had an interview with ISD, I'll be having a pretty good quote (EPIC QUOTE IS EPIC!) in an article likely that might work, but I also gave her this speech:

When people view Nation, they see only that which they fear.

That is not what Nation entails.

These people are not being abducted and forced into servitude. That is the way of the Amarr.

These people are not being left to rot in the cesspools of lower society. That is the way of the Caldari and the Gallente.

These people are not being left to their own devices where they will destroy themselves and others for their own hedonistic pursuits. That is the way of the Matari.

Nation is strong because we share an ideal. We share a Vision that this Cluster deserves something better than what the Empires and their Capsuleers have given it. We seek Unity, Acceptance, Understanding, and True Freedom. We seek to strip aside the illusion that those that are "free" have a choice to do what they wish to do. We seek a higher purpose. We are not mindless drones simply because we ascribe to Master Kuvakei's vision, nor that we follow his Will. We, like they, make our choices based on that which we feel is True and Just. However, unlike many, our vision is greater than ourselves.

...which sadly is too long to make it into the article. :(

Some of the Sansha Loyalist types have suggested I actually create a bio and slap it in there.

The Good PR is out there.

Chell Charon has been doing a lot of it as well,

here: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1323156
here: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1320041
and here: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1321968

Just gotta look for it. Maybe bump it a little so it doesn't keep drowning in the sea of conspiracy theories about sleepers.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #32 on: 25 May 2010, 11:41 »

"All for the good of many" is literally the Caldari Navy motto -- it's not just a "Deteis" belief (and honestly I think at this point the Deteis and Civire are culturally the same, seeing as how they have been intermingling and united for thousands of years).  On the other hand, the sanctity of the individual and libertarian thought have a strong hold on the Caldari as well, which is something that makes the Sanshas (and slavery in general) rather repugnant to them.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 25 May 2010, 12:25 »

By libertarian you mean something like anarchocapitalism. My interpretation is that the Caldari oligarchy is quite authoritarian and distant from most of the populace. That being said, what is announced as doctrine and what is practice are two different things.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 25 May 2010, 18:54 »

You can be very authoritarian on one level and anarchocapitalistic on another.  Between the corporations it is very anarchocapitalistic, while within the corporations (and on down the tree) it becomes more "authoritarian" by modern western standards.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #35 on: 25 May 2010, 22:11 »

I always saw a lot of variation between corporations, too. A lot. Except for everything being grey, ofc.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #36 on: 26 May 2010, 06:35 »

I don't just mean economic libertarianism -- I think the Caldari truly believe that you should be allowed to make any bad choice you want.  You will just have to pay the consequences for it, and they can be dire.  Cultural pressure and contracts are more powerful than laws in terms of keeping the Caldari populace in line, I think.  Forcing someone at gunpoint to work for you does not seem very Caldari to me, although enforcing a contract they entered into at their own will, with harsh consequences for failure -- that is VERY Caldari.  The difference between the two may be rather fine, but it is pretty big in terms of thought.

However, I don't want to derail the Sansha conversation, so if you want to discuss this, perhaps another thread would be a good idea.
Pages: 1 2 [3]