Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Quafe is so popular it once prevented a war? Read more in the Chron

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: [Renamed] Issues and Concerns for RPing Streya  (Read 7338 times)

Zanzi

• Clonejack
  • PY-RE Head Diplomat
Re: Going back to RP Lite
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2013, 17:07 »

I've been told Anslol's been taking bets in the war, which I find awesome, I find less awesome rumours of blues betting against us, but wahey its their money

Is that really a rumor? I distinctly remember posting in the IGS thread.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2013, 18:44 »

Well, if you can't inflict damage on us such that you disrupt our operations it's also very true that we can't exactly camp your wormhole and burn your POS. It's not like this wardec threatens your core business anymore than it threatens ours, is it?

So, really, this is just extra activity for both our organisations members, plus some RP that will also be fun. And if having fun hurts recruitment then we might as well ALL uninstall and biomass. :D

Desiderya

« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2013, 19:26 »

Ahoi,
by camping their WH we'd be 'not taking part in SLAVERY in the amarr-minmatar warzone', so it'd be kind of a suicidal success I say.
My drunken confession for tonight is that I said "They don't want us to do it, so let's do it" after hearing of the goal for that wardec.

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #18 on: 01 Jun 2013, 00:46 »

A lot of people here seem to think I wanted, OOC, to post on the IGS. I didn't. If these people understood our internal RP (and the fact that Saede is banned from the EVE-O forums), then of course the only person who is in any position to post on behalf of our corp is me. So if I like my corporation, want to remain in it, and am told to post, then I post. I wanted us to remain silent on the dec because I knew going in there'd be little chance of displacing a frigate-exclusive FW corp that can quickly replace its losses, and for the most part Pieter hit the nail on the head: it was to give us an extra activity to do, because we're floating in a bit of ISK and are bored.

Instead we've made bold claims I/Streya knew are untenable. Outside of being told to post, there's really no reason I would have posted at all. In other words I feel like I'm eating crow because I was told to take actions I didn't agree with, and I'm not sure I'm fine with that. I'll be the first to admit I couldn't kill most kite ships to save my life, and I wouldn't claim IC that I can do so either.

All in all this isn't very much of a war, and I'm not sure that I'm going to throw more ships into the wringer and make myself look even worse; at the end of the day DUTY folks can simply choose not to engage my typical ships of choice, and if I try to refit into something more exotic that doesn't/won't end well either. Of course Saede has the final say on everything, but I have been nagging her about this...

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 01 Jun 2013, 01:02 »

So if I like my corporation, want to remain in it, and am told to post, then I post.

Holy crap. You're Caldari! We should have a little chat about recruitment. ;)

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 01 Jun 2013, 01:14 »

So if I like my corporation, want to remain in it, and am told to post, then I post.

Holy crap. You're Caldari! We should have a little chat about recruitment. ;)

I can be rather Caldari-esque out of character! If I hadn't co-founded a corp and instead rolled a Caldari toon as my "reincarnation" main I could definitely see myself flying with you guys.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #21 on: 01 Jun 2013, 01:50 »

This doesn't sound like an RP problem.

It sounds like you're having an OOC problem with a corp mate.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #22 on: 01 Jun 2013, 02:03 »

I would say that's probably accurate Makkal, and we have had words.

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #23 on: 01 Jun 2013, 02:47 »

Aside from getting kills I don't think [DUTY] has achieved any stunning victories in its career. We've, however, not set us up to any grand goals. But in the end we weren't able to hold Galmil at bay in Enaluri (For Des that includes the WHG deployments, too), we didn't win the Caldari Prime thing.. I don't think this makes one's character look bad. It was, however, overall a lot of fun and we've learned a lot.
So you could also use this as a tool to get cooperation up in the corp and try to make the best out of the situation, try out tactics and fits, etc.

Just saw this bit. Yes! I am definitely taking advantage of the situation and coming to conclusions on how to fight agile kite frigs. It's definitely been a learning experience.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 01 Jun 2013, 09:05 »

I think you may give too much credit to people's ability to separate the corp and the person doing the announcement, when it is not specified clearly, considering the rampant amount of ad-hominem on the IGS. Who cares anyway ? Characters intelligent enough to make the difference are the ones that will save the day for yours eventually.

Also, on friends and popularity: Pieter. Without Pieter it might have been slightly different. Anyway, Pyre is not as isolated socially than AVLP from what I see. I may be wrong, it mostly stems from my own perception as an outsider.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #25 on: 01 Jun 2013, 09:19 »

(Stuff about posting on behalf of Saede)

I still don't see anything you posted as a problem for Streya. You're operating right now as spokeswoman for your corporation, and I'm sure people see your posts in that context - maybe add something to your Eve forum sig saying "Spokeswoman for ..." to make it obvious.

In any case, you undock and fight. It's more than can be said for many. That alone earns you a measure of respect no matter what the outcome of the war is.

I think it would be a good idea, by the way, to talk OOCly about how we might roll this into the Pieter-is-missing arc. Shin's already convinced that Saede is behind that. It'd be a good way to morph this from an untenable war into another part in a larger RP arc.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #26 on: 01 Jun 2013, 09:33 »

I think it would be a good idea, by the way, to talk OOCly about how we might roll this into the Pieter-is-missing arc. Shin's already convinced that Saede is behind that. It'd be a good way to morph this from an untenable war into another part in a larger RP arc.

I'm in. Saede has her own search for Pieter going on anyway. :D
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #27 on: 01 Jun 2013, 11:22 »

You could say the implants made you do it. I think Halete wrote something about escaping from the implants or something.
\o/

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #28 on: 01 Jun 2013, 12:14 »

You could say the implants made you do it. I think Halete wrote something about escaping from the implants or something.

To be fair, I think the situation with Halete was a bit different than this scenario. Halete didn't OOC enjoy doing wormhole shenanigans and left thusly. IC, when she first joined the corp she voluntarily became part of the telepathic network (as far as I remember ofc; I hadn't gotten back into really roleplaying at that point and might not have been paying proper attention; Halete herself is best suited to explain), and when she left the implants were taken out. As much as we're perceived as using Sansha-esque implants, we roleplay it more as being a two-way cousin to the "telepathy" implants the Empress has with her inner circle. OOC, this just means we can skip a lot of internal conversation roleplay that might take hours to do and simply agree "this happened". So I'm not sure if the "Implants did it" approach would quite work seeing as they are a lot less potent than people may think; good old-fashioned corporate intrigue is probably closer to the truth  ;)

But who knows? I've been talking with someone who has suggested that the IGS post was rather uncharacteristic for Streya to make at all, and given that the Wormhole K162 thread was a much more accurate example of the sort of things Streya would post, I can see why someone would think the implants would be involved.

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #29 on: 01 Jun 2013, 12:24 »

And also because nation state RP brings you a lot more support than isolated, "exotic" political points of view.

I never said it was a wrong or right thing. I just said it was to be expected, and actually seems quite logical, since it works more or less the same IRL.

This is unfortunately true, but I think we really want to establish a definite "wormhole" roleplay crowd.

Quote from: Lyn Farel

Yes, but at the same time ad hominem will make that when Streya will take a position in the future in a debate, people will probably throw that at her face. It is quite common on the IGS, it's even how it works most of the time. "But you are wrong because you are an angel, after all". "But nobody cares what you say anyway considering your employer". "Your point has no value considering what you did in the past". etc.

It is to be expected. I can understand it is not something Streya's player is ready to deal with, although when coming into RP it may be a little naive to believe that one's character will never get any flak that can potentially damage his or her reputation.

However, that is also what gives background and depth to your character and as others have said above, if your character recognize what she did right or wrong and doesn't be a "dick" about it instead, it will garner people respect.

I don't mind flak, honestly, but in this case this isn't the kind of flak I wanted my character taking. "Dramatic cape-twirling cartoon villain" is MUCH less appealing than "Space Indiana Jones", basically, and I think it'd be much more neat if Streya caught public flak for stuff like raiding some sacred ruins for treasure or hacking into someone's database. In other words, the reason I'm so concerned with my character's public image at the moment is because I feel it's been set off on the wrong foot, and I fear it will take the character away from meshing well with my gameplay.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5