Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Boosters are banned because they cause a deadly, incurable brain disease?  Read more here.

Author Topic: [Self moderated title] Low hanging fruit dictionnary and stuff  (Read 1684 times)

Lyn Farel

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3073282&#post3073282

The people that answered here managed to piss the hell out of me. I'm not even going to answer to such blatant OOC troll and OOC links since it seems to be a contest of which player is right instead of which character is.

Maybe in the wrong thread, sure, but I was actually trying to have an interesting debate on races in Eve. I should know better though, since the last time ended pretty much the same.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2013, 06:27 by Lyn Farel »

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: Wtf is that shit ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2013, 16:54 »

Sorry, I wasn't attempting to troll. I just thought I'd weigh in with some definitions.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2013, 16:54 »

Actually that's yet another example of people trying to get the upper hand by trying to go for the low hanging fruit (cf http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=4517.0).

After verification it seems that I am facing again a case where a word does not mean the same thing in both languages. Ofc I get roflstomped over the mistake.

My real point got lost in the ensuing flamewar.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2013, 16:57 »

Sorry, I wasn't attempting to troll. I just thought I'd weigh in with some definitions.

No need to apologize, I actually took no issue with your post. It is actually the one (with Rodj) that lit a lot of red lights in my mind and made me check the correct translation of race. Which is, ofc, not the same -_-

I took an issue, however, with people linking dictionary links on an IC stupid forum.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2013, 17:03 »

Hm. I'm not sure that it's low-hanging fruit so much as a defense of the (scientifically incorrect) common parlance. The use of the term, "race," in English to distinguish between general ethnic groups is presently under attack (albeit only in the most limited "this is a conceptual innovation of the last few hundred years with no scientific basis" sense); you (intentionally or not) presented one side of that debate. Your opponents are presenting the other.

It's actually a meaningful argument on both sides, but if you sort of stumbled into it I can see how it would be confusing/frustrating.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2013, 17:11 by Aria Jenneth »

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2013, 17:16 »

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3073282&#post3073282

The people that answered here managed to piss the hell out of me. I'm not even going to answer to such blatant OOC troll and OOC links since it seems to be a contest of which player is right instead of which character is.

Maybe in the wrong thread, sure, but I was actually trying to have an interesting debate on races in Eve. I should know better though, since the last time ended pretty much the same.
I love this thread. Everyone is RPing so hard despite you being so obviously correct.

If there's one thing that does bother me, though, is the instinct that RPers have to abandon their OOC abilities to argue and debate and hurl their characters headlong down the narrow corridor of closed-mindedness and finger-in-ear syndrome. I understand, of course, that if we all opened our characters' minds to reason, there'd be a great loss of diversity, but Confirmation Bias and Leaps of Logic are wonderful replacements.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2013, 17:25 »

It's pretty much the same thing as the low-hanging fruit argument in the other thread. Lyn's argument was reasonable but everyone latched onto one word.

RPing in a non-native language is difficult. I had a very brief IC convo with an EM member in french a few weeks ago. After that experience, I have a lot more respect for players like Lyn who not only RP in a non-native tongue, but primarily RP arguments and debates where precise language is essential.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2013, 17:27 »

The low hanging fruit is to jump on every occasion, be it a typo or a language mistake for the sake of winning RP. Which is kind of dumb.

Yes, I the player made a mistake by not translating the word in the correct form (race[fr] = breed[en], even if the term subspecies is also the correct one), something that my character would probably be the less inclined to do. But whatever, she did a mistake and that's it, I can find explanations for it to patch it up.

Rodj and Makkal answers were good form (and appreciated OOCly) as they at least tried to see cautiously if there was not something OOCly behind, but the other one though, in my opinion, is bad form. I do not need to be pointed to a dictionary to understand where I did a mistake, especially when done in such an OOC manner. This is what annoys me to incredible heights.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2013, 19:12 »

The low hanging fruit is to jump on every occasion, be it a typo or a language mistake for the sake of winning RP. Which is kind of dumb.

Yes, I the player made a mistake by not translating the word in the correct form (race[fr] = breed[en], even if the term subspecies is also the correct one), something that my character would probably be the less inclined to do. But whatever, she did a mistake and that's it, I can find explanations for it to patch it up.

Rodj and Makkal answers were good form (and appreciated OOCly) as they at least tried to see cautiously if there was not something OOCly behind, but the other one though, in my opinion, is bad form. I do not need to be pointed to a dictionary to understand where I did a mistake, especially when done in such an OOC manner. This is what annoys me to incredible heights.
Even with the word Race, though, your point is accurate. It's an archaic and prejudicial limitation which relies largely upon perception than upon actual biological fact. It's always entertaining to see scientific studies on race break down into confusion because of the ambiguous and arbitrary nature of "biological race".

Is anyone here Mulatto? Mestizo? Metis? Hafu? Luk Khrueng?
Or wait, shit, do we not pay attention to those categorizations anymore?

And, um, the Amarr should probably stop objecting to your classification of Race as something that Dogs have. They breed the Minmatar based upon it, after all.

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2013, 01:22 »

I feel you on that one, Lyn...

Adreena regularly looks like she cawt teh dumb because of those little differences : it's the same word, it looks like it has almost the same meaning... and of course my feet get caught in the almost and I faceplant.

We regularly offer low-hanging fruits... And of course there will be someone to catch them.
We have to learn to accept our failures with quiet dignity, and grace :D
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2013, 01:56 »

We regularly offer low-hanging fruits... And of course there will be someone to catch them.

Admit mistake, apologize, and get back on topic. That kills most of the attacks right there.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2013, 01:58 »

That <self moderated something> is called IGS.
You can either ignore trolls, or try to fight them (for sake of your own giggles, if not - just ignore them)  :twisted:
« Last Edit: 23 May 2013, 08:36 by Lithium Flower »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2013, 06:22 »

Admit mistake, apologize, and get back on topic. That kills most of the attacks right there.

That's what I did soon after.

With some hindsight now though, I admit that I have overreacted. Was probably a bad day. I generally enjoy what Anabella says ICly and well...