Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your clones have your DNA, but not until you've been in them a while? For more information see the Cloning Scientific Article

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [Dev Post] Pod Death (and Cloning Iteration)  (Read 8332 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: [Dev Post] Pod Death
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2013, 14:17 »

I honestly rather like the harsh abrupt disjoint that exists between podding and respawning in station. It feels like one of those places that it just works. You've just been ripped from your mind by brain destroying scanning techniques and dumped into a new body light years away. I'd not be opposed to having like, a blast a static and the UI melting for a second before everything reappears in station. I worry this will take out some of the brutality of being podded.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2013, 14:21 »

I think a lot of people, maybe even a majority, would watch once, then turn off, for performance reasons.
\o/

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2013, 14:24 »

I think a lot of people, maybe even a majority, would watch once, then turn off, for performance reasons.
This is probably how it'll go. It'l be GREAT for movies, though.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2013, 14:26 »

I'm dead. How the hell do I see my body floating in space? These camera drones are feeding information to my consciousness as it zips across the cluster?

Think about the death scenes in, say, the Mass Effect series. Do they add anything to your experience other than 30 seconds of irritated "Dammit, I know I just lost. Hurry up so that I can keep playing my game"?
Nope.

When ME 1 came out I had a crappy PC. At the lowest possible setting and resolution, that game ran at about 3-5 FPS.

Then came the conduit run... How fast the Mako travels depends on how high your FPS are. I had to replay the conduit run 38 times in a row.  :bash:

Each time I got the cutscene at the beginning and that 30 second 'death' twirl at the end.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2013, 14:29 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2013, 14:53 »

I would rather prefer the awakening in the VAT bay, makes more sense immersion wise.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2013, 15:01 »

I missed AURA laughing at you when it happens. I think I was the only person I knew who thought it was funny.

"AHAHAHA! You clumsy pilot!"
Will work for pretty sig.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2013, 18:27 »

Do not like.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2013, 19:12 »

Does this include for those of us whom animations take an extra 10 seconds to load?

not sure, but if that is the case and you can't turn the new animations off fully, you're gonna hate jumping through a stargate after they deploy that new graphical effect.

It is a deep concern of mine.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2013, 02:24 »

I missed AURA laughing at you when it happens. I think I was the only person I knew who thought it was funny.

"AHAHAHA! You clumsy pilot!"

Agreed. Also, needs moar Vogon poetry.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2013, 05:09 »

Somewhat related: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=235816&find=unread

Quote from: CCP Rise
I just saw (thanks Reddit) that the clone cost adjustment for Odyssey went to Singularity with the latest update. I didn't realize this would happen so quickly and I didn't have a post ready so I'm throwing this up in the middle of the night!

Basically, for Odyssey we are lowering the cost of clone upgrades across the board by 30%. This is meant as the first increment on a more thorough iteration on the clone system. Our hope is that through this first step we will be able to establish what (if any) effect clone prices have on player behavior. If you have any feedback related to the clone system (especially in terms of how it affects your play-style) we would love to hear from you.

I'm sure image links are usually not ideal for dev posts, but it is the middle of the night, so here is a screen shot of the new clone prices proposed for Odyssey: CLONES

Yours,
CCP Rise

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
Re: [Dev Post] Pod Death (and Cloning Iteration)
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2013, 05:56 »

Wooo 30mil for a clone. Deadie is happeh

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2013, 06:05 »

As the smoke clears from your decimated capsule your terminally wounded corpse will now be shown gently spinning as life slips away and your camera drones offline. You have a moment to reflect on your unfortunate demise and take in the scenery one last time before a new clone is activated and your consciousness is transferred.

This seems to corroborate an idea i had when i saw the origins trailer
where the same person was in a capsule and in a dropsuit.

it would appear that the capsule will no longer be injecting an instantly lethal poison and scanning your brain upon it's breach.
Capsuleers are becomming truly immortal, which would explain why Hilmar mentioned talking about the 'open door' at next year's fanfest.

-Rok

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2013, 06:20 »

You are putting an awful lot of faith into an art guy's :words: being a new PF direction.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2013, 07:34 »

it's more the origins trailer that caused me to start thinking about them doing it.

this art guys ':words:' just appear to go hand in hand with the trailer.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2013, 13:09 »

Since when have the developers (outside of the story team) known anything about the lore of their game? The little bitter vet in me would probably remind people that a given random developer doesn't probably reach the level of knowledge of a dedicated player, and some have been outright clueless about relatively basic mechanics. (Such as the famous case of suggesting to target paint sieged dreadnoughts as a solution to citadel torpedoes not hitting them at full damage.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4