Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Slaver-hounds aren't a type of dog? For more information see here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [Dev Post] Pod Death (and Cloning Iteration)  (Read 8320 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
[Dev Post] Pod Death (and Cloning Iteration)
« on: 14 May 2013, 10:29 »

Not sure if correct part of the forum, but: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=235687

Quote from: CCP Masheen
Dearest space-faring colleagues,

If you thought all the secrets of Odyssey were revealed at Fanfest then it is my pleasure to tell you they were not. Team Pony Express are planning on dropping some seriously exciting changes onto the Singularity Test Server for a Mass Test on Thursday (Watch for posts from CCP Habakuk for exact time + details)

CCP Nimbus, CCP karkur and the ever-sarcastic CCP PrismX have been furiously coding new Ship & Pod death sequences that we're hoping will be ready in time for Odyssey's release on June 4th.

In the same vein as the new seamless stargate jump transitions, this work is a part of our drive to "fill in the gaps" in the flow of common EVE gameplay. The goal was that your ship would better inform you when it is in serious peril. It never felt very 'Sci-Fi' that your ship wouldn't make much of a fuss out of being blown to smithereens so we've fixed that.

In the last moments of being blown up your ship UI/HUD will look a lot more like it does in the EVE Origins trailer (at 3:23)

These new animated UI elements are tied to the existing Audio Alerts. We have created this feature with extensive player customization, some features we choose to be pre-calibrated but with this feature you will have options. You can set the thresholds at which you are warned or disable them completely and the new UI has been designed to fit with all other existing HUD elements.

Pod death will never be the same again either, before now it has always been somewhat underwhelming . You are immediately removed from the fight and a couple of seconds later you're back in station. This experience has been replaced by this new sequence:

As the smoke clears from your decimated capsule your terminally wounded corpse will now be shown gently spinning as life slips away and your camera drones offline. You have a moment to reflect on your unfortunate demise and take in the scenery one last time before a new clone is activated and your consciousness is transferred.

These features are a work in progress and we'd like to get your feedback, please log into Sisi on Thursday to try them out for yourself.

- CCP Masheen. x
« Last Edit: 15 May 2013, 05:10 by kalaratiri »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
Re: [Dev Post] Pod Death
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2013, 10:44 »

Way to rub it in...

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2013, 10:55 »

Way to rub it in...

It needed some rubbing. All we had was a sort of "squish" and an area transition essentially indistinguishable from docking.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2013, 11:51 »

I dunno. I've always disagreed with extended "defeat" scenes. You already know that you've been defeated, and Eve rubs defeat in through the loss of ships, isk and implants pretty well, already.

Think about the death scenes in, say, the Mass Effect series. Do they add anything to your experience other than 30 seconds of irritated "Dammit, I know I just lost. Hurry up so that I can keep playing my game"?

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2013, 12:23 »

Hopefully, there will be a way to skip the death scene. Also, hopefully the deathscene will only be about 5 seconds log (I can't imagine it needing to be longer).

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2013, 12:26 »

Not sure if correct part of the forum, but: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=235687

Dearest space-faring colleagues,

If you thought all the secrets of Odyssey were revealed at Fanfest then it is my pleasure to tell you they were not. Team Pony Express are planning on dropping some seriously exciting changes onto the Singularity Test Server for a Mass Test on Thursday (Watch for posts from CCP Habakuk for exact time + details)

CCP Nimbus, CCP karkur and the ever-sarcastic CCP PrismX have been furiously coding new Ship & Pod death sequences that we're hoping will be ready in time for Odyssey's release on June 4th.

In the same vein as the new seamless stargate jump transitions, this work is a part of our drive to "fill in the gaps" in the flow of common EVE gameplay. The goal was that your ship would better inform you when it is in serious peril. It never felt very 'Sci-Fi' that your ship wouldn't make much of a fuss out of being blown to smithereens so we've fixed that.

In the last moments of being blown up your ship UI/HUD will look a lot more like it does in the EVE Origins trailer (at 3:23)

These new animated UI elements are tied to the existing Audio Alerts. We have created this feature with extensive player customization, some features we choose to be pre-calibrated but with this feature you will have options. You can set the thresholds at which you are warned or disable them completely and the new UI has been designed to fit with all other existing HUD elements.

Pod death will never be the same again either, before now it has always been somewhat underwhelming . You are immediately removed from the fight and a couple of seconds later you're back in station. This experience has been replaced by this new sequence:

As the smoke clears from your decimated capsule your terminally wounded corpse will now be shown gently spinning as life slips away and your camera drones offline. You have a moment to reflect on your unfortunate demise and take in the scenery one last time before a new clone is activated and your consciousness is transferred.

These features are a work in progress and we'd like to get your feedback, please log into Sisi on Thursday to try them out for yourself.

- CCP Masheen. x

As for the death scene itself, CCP have been working under the mantra of "The same as, or quicker, than it is already". They won't put in anything that takes longer than what is already there.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2013, 12:31 »

We have created this feature with extensive player customization, some features we choose to be pre-calibrated but with this feature you will have options. You can set the thresholds at which you are warned or disable them completely and the new UI has been designed to fit with all other existing HUD elements.
- CCP Masheen. x

As for the death scene itself, CCP have been working under the mantra of "The same as, or quicker, than it is already". They won't put in anything that takes longer than what is already there.
Damnit, I've been caught not reading. >.>

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2013, 12:32 »

We have created this feature with extensive player customization, some features we choose to be pre-calibrated but with this feature you will have options. You can set the thresholds at which you are warned or disable them completely and the new UI has been designed to fit with all other existing HUD elements.
- CCP Masheen. x

Does this include for those of us whom animations take an extra 10 seconds to load?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2013, 12:34 »

Death animations work in some games, less so in others. Despite pod loss not happening all that often, I think it would be somewhat annoying to have a drawn-out, non-interactive animation when EVE is extremely responsive at all other times.

I would've gone for something feeling more technical and first person; a screen white-out followed by your HUD rebooting. Put those animated UI elements they were talking about to work! For no more than a second or two, mind.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2013, 12:41 »

- CCP Masheen. x

Does this include for those of us whom animations take an extra 10 seconds to load?

That, I cannot tell you :P

Darius Shakor

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2013, 12:48 »

Hopefully, there will be a way to skip the death scene. Also, hopefully the deathscene will only be about 5 seconds log (I can't imagine it needing to be longer).

I think we all know what needs to be done...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulEisLcFEl4
Retired freedom fighter. Founder of the Second Shakor Clan [-2SC-]
Currently playing as Denaton Koudo these days. Drawn to the blinking Caldari lights. Ooooooo.....

Twitter me @DShakor

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2013, 13:37 »

- CCP Masheen. x

not sure, but if that is the case and you can't turn the new animations off fully, you're gonna hate jumping through a stargate after they deploy that new graphical effect.

Vikarion

« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2013, 13:53 »

I dunno. I've always disagreed with extended "defeat" scenes. You already know that you've been defeated, and Eve rubs defeat in through the loss of ships, isk and implants pretty well, already.

Think about the death scenes in, say, the Mass Effect series. Do they add anything to your experience other than 30 seconds of irritated "Dammit, I know I just lost. Hurry up so that I can keep playing my game"?

I'm fairly sure that, if CCP could manage it, your computer would reach out and punch you in the crotch after a pod-kill. Darker and edgier, remember?

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2013, 13:58 »

I'm fairly sure that, if CCP could manage it, your computer would reach out and punch you in the crotch after a pod-kill. Darker and edgier, remember?

Which leads to meta stuff, like people ejecting from their T3 before it explodes, and then jumping out of their chair before their pod explodes...
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2013, 14:14 »

Which leads to meta stuff, like people ejecting from their T3 before it explodes, and then jumping out of their chair before their pod explodes...

With the next update, if you have a weapons timer, you will be clamped into your chair to prevent players bypassing game mechanics!

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4