Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

as Emperor, Doriam Kor-Azor changed the name of the fourth planet of the Kor-Azor system to Eclipticum and its moons to Black Viperia, Griklaeum, and Kileakum in honor of the champions who won him the throne.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Devblog] Hacking in Odyssey  (Read 3130 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: [Devblog] Hacking in Odyssey
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2013, 03:26 »

That's poor design. What is the difference between a random chance of obtaining loot in the old system and a random chance of picking the right can in the new one exactly ?  :psyccp:

Yeah. Unless some of the legendary loot starts to drop in some remote, inaccessible place and makes you rage endlessly.

Why hello conference call, yes you are 12 foot under the fucking ground...  :bash:

Heh, for that one I had the luck to loot it at my first playthrough. But anyway you did not miss anything, it's a crappy weapon (I heared it was OP at the very beginning though).

I believe the idea is that now that they've made hacking slightly interesting, they need to balance that so doing exploration solo means losing loot.

I get the idea that CCP doesn't desire EVE to have 'fun' solo PvE activities.

I may suddenly sound like an utter, hypocritical bittervet with his 310 days of playing Eve, and that might be worth another topic (or not), but now that I look back at all my Eve life I feel like I have actually never really enjoyed most of the game mechanisms... What made me stay was simply to have goals in a wonderful sandbox universe with things like player economy, and then the RP community when I finally stopped having motivational objectives... Honestly I feel like everything in that game is not fun, and a hassle. Even pvp, which can be fun at times, it 95% of the time boring or frustrating.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2013, 07:09 »

That's poor design. What is the difference between a random chance of obtaining loot in the old system and a random chance of picking the right can in the new one exactly ?  :psyccp:

Different 'kinds' of cans drop different kinds of loot. You can cherry-pick the cans but they don't show up on OV as far as I can tell so you have to play mouse-fu to see what is what. It's mildly annoying.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Shiori

« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2013, 07:12 »

Sigh. *files away the SP spent on exploration as a sunk cost.*

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2013, 14:44 »

What pisses me off the most, though - the absolute most - is that they've got a metric fuckton of players saying "there are bugs and problems and this mechanic is inherently unimmersive and unenjoyable" and CCP is ignoring them. Not ignoring the thread - they're still posting in it every few hours - but flat-out ignoring the posts asking them to delay, change or reconsider their new loot mechanic. They must be aware of their presence because they comprise about 80% of the thread, but they're not listening.

Given the number of times this has happened before (character customisation racelocks, CQ, NeX, Sanctum nerfs) it makes me begin to question why we have a test server at all.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2013, 15:55 »

:psyccp:

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #20 on: 01 Jun 2013, 02:58 »

This isn't just me, either. There are pages and pages of people telling CCP "this is a bad mechanic, don't use it" and CCP Bayesian being dismissive and saying "people are just bitching because it's different."

I really am questioning why people bother using the test server to test things rather than just as free PvP practice these days.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 01 Jun 2013, 06:41 »

Yeah, thus the  :psyccp:

I have seen myself how players react, bitch, whine, explain, propose things, or else, on an official forum. Generally you have 3 cases :

1) An issue coming again and again that most people agree that it is bad or has to be reworked.
2) An issue coming regularly but dividing the community. Half supports it, and half do not, generating a lot of heated discussions.
3) An issue that very few people complain about, generally because the rest are ok with the state of things.

From what I hear here it is more about case 1). It is stupid not to listen. That is the kind of thing that makes players very unhappy about your company (or very happy when you show that you try to work to death on the issue).

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #22 on: 01 Jun 2013, 12:48 »

Personally, I don't find the spew mechanic to be an issue in and of itself.

I have issues with some of the details, like how fast cans spread around (I think it's too fast; they confirmed they were goign to slow them down a bit during the mass test), but otherwise I've been OK with it when I've tested it.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 01 Jun 2013, 15:45 »

Personally, I don't find the spew mechanic to be an issue in and of itself.

I have issues with some of the details, like how fast cans spread around (I think it's too fast; they confirmed they were goign to slow them down a bit during the mass test), but otherwise I've been OK with it when I've tested it.

Good to hear.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #24 on: 01 Jun 2013, 17:12 »

Playing around in lowsec on Sisi atm right now - they've already implemented the slower can movement I think.

THe biggest complaint about exploration that I have right now, is that they have completely removed DSP functionality from the client - we were told the probes were being removed because we were being given the functionality they provided, and now they've taken that functionality away. Scanning an area and cherry-picking things based on strength will not be easy/possible anymore, I think. :(
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #25 on: 01 Jun 2013, 18:47 »

Playing around in lowsec on Sisi atm right now - they've already implemented the slower can movement I think.

THe biggest complaint about exploration that I have right now, is that they have completely removed DSP functionality from the client - we were told the probes were being removed because we were being given the functionality they provided, and now they've taken that functionality away. Scanning an area and cherry-picking things based on strength will not be easy/possible anymore, I think. :(

I never knew about that until a couple weeks ago when the uproar began on the forums. Now the rest of you can join me in the tedious displeasure of scanning.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #26 on: 01 Jun 2013, 20:21 »

Scanning down an individual site is still faster than it was before, partly from the (new) default 8 probes, and partly from the ability to do all probe manipulations one-handed.

It just means you actually need to examine each signature rather than throwing some out of hand because, say, you KNOW a signature with a certain strength will only ever go to a C2 entrance wormhole.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
Pages: 1 [2]