Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Imperial Human Resources is a well-known Amarrian slave company.

Author Topic: League of Legends  (Read 3659 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
League of Legends
« on: 05 Dec 2018, 11:26 »

Are any of you folks into that at all?

One of our Eve Sansha buddies was just under pro level with his Syndra, was wondering if any of you others are into this game? I was way into it for a while, but not good enough / melting PC couldn't get much past silver rank in solo que.   When I first played it I hated it so much, didn't understand it, found the whole gameplay ridiculous, and then after I kind of 'got' the mechanics and the like it became fun.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: League of Legends
« Reply #1 on: 05 Dec 2018, 12:27 »

Their music videos are fucking amazeballs. The whole MOBA thing though... yeah no, Eve's my ceiling when it comes to toxicity, and the whole "Last Hitting" gameplay stuff never struck me as fun.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 05 Dec 2018, 14:47 »

Yea so in general 100% agree, with a few caveats.

The last hit farm stuff, it sort of falls away after a while.  Like basically most players are going to play at that average level and you'll get average farm, it's not a thing you have to really freak out about unless you are trying to git gud and push yourself super far.  Average gameplay at a reasonable level will do just fine on the farming front just as a part of playing the game.  And no amount of elite farming will cover bad gameplay and good or bad teammates, IE its more likely that you will beat someone with skill or lose with skill at normal mortal human levels.

The toxicity can be laughable, but easily covered with /mute and /mute all , turn up your music and have fun.

But I'm totally with you the first bit of time I tried the game I had this exact sentiment, I hated the last hit mechanic, I hated the moba stuff, all of it.  Deleted the game for months, and didn't come back for a long time.

Then somehow after I got over that early skill hurdle the game sort of transformed into a really fun tactics gameplay.  If you like the 1v1 matchups you get that, if you like the big team fights, you get that too. Like figuring out the mechanics of champion matchups and strategy and all that gameplay stuff somehow became fun.  There's like 150 different champions to use, and you pick them in this sort of round-robin format vs the other team where each side picks a few then you can ban certain ones and then you pick a few more, so there's this whole gameplay of 'oh this team picked this one champ who'se super good at this, let's pick this other champ that's a really good counterpoint' etc.

But any fun time in the game is equally weighed by literal mental midget teammates, or bad automatching, etc.  They are really working hard on this stuff and it is getting better but it can be a real slog. I haven't played in months though.   

But they've come a long way to letting you pick the role you want to play, and matching you up with a team and opponents of comparable skill.

Best part though, 100% free, as in I played the game for a few years and maybe spent like $10 on some skins that entire time.  They got rid of the thing where you could spend money on little perks and gameplay bonuses, it's all free now.

Anyway no worries not trying to convince anyone of anything just wondered if any of you all were into it

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2018, 13:01 »

My boys are into it, they are getting into a local league here with sponsors and everything. Pretty wild.  They are doing $12,000 scholarship for winning team of season I hear.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2018, 17:38 »

I played a little bit about 7 years ago or so with Inara and/or Reppy while I was still in college. Didn't end up being engaging enough to keep me messing with it. It was a little too much like an RTS in gameplay for me, too, which didn't help. XD
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2018, 19:40 »

My boys are into it, they are getting into a local league here with sponsors and everything. Pretty wild.  They are doing $12,000 scholarship for winning team of season I hear.

High burnout rate for those 'pros' watch out :P

That being said it wasn't until I really got into the game that I understood how freakishly inhumane those people are at the highest levels.  They are literally magic, some of the mouse speed and shit these kids are pulling off.

LOL does have one of the more 'interesting' freemium models out there though, the game is 100% free, like full game, you can do it all.  You can pay money for vanity stuff or maybe to unlock things faster, but I've played 90% of it for free, certainly gotten my money's worth.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2018, 08:08 »

I played it frequently for many, many years and was even able to achieve diamond in ranked for a while. Within this past year though being a fully realized adult has put a strain on my interest and ability to play the game at the level that I did. Also the ranked gameplay was a frustrating mix of sheer luck with matchmaking. I actually uninstalled it for good a couple weeks ago. I’m done with league. Eve is now my one and only waifu now.
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2018, 10:02 »

They just went to their first match last night and their team got paired up with a local college team who has a couple diamond ranked players on it.  My son says their beating was pretty brutal :D

First game was kind of a slaughter, second he said they at least didn't die as much but there just wasn't anything they could do other than wait to lose.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2018, 10:04 by Mitara Newelle »
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2018, 10:32 »

I played it frequently for many, many years and was even able to achieve diamond in ranked for a while. Within this past year though being a fully realized adult has put a strain on my interest and ability to play the game at the level that I did. Also the ranked gameplay was a frustrating mix of sheer luck with matchmaking. I actually uninstalled it for good a couple weeks ago. I’m done with league. Eve is now my one and only waifu now.

Hey Diamond! That's super great :)

Yea unfortunately with the matchmaking and random teams it's one of those games where you feel like almost every time you lose it's really not your fault and some other clown teammate or bad matchmaking or whatever :P

I don't have time to really play anymore either but thought it was a pretty good game for the amount of money spent, zero :P

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2018, 10:33 »

They just went to their first match last night and their team got paired up with a local college team who has a couple diamond ranked players on it.  My son says their beating was pretty brutal :D

First game was kind of a slaughter, second he said they at least didn't die as much but there just wasn't anything they could do other than wait to lose.

Still valuable lessons in losing and humility I hope :)

Armast Darkar

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2018, 14:48 »

I thought that they divided tournament brackets by age? Starcraft used to have a Collegiate Starleague.