Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Nugoeihuvi megacorporation is the only one of the 'big eight' with a large focus on the entertainment industry, and it is widely suspected of underworld ties?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [Chronicle] Falling Skies  (Read 5808 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: [Chronicle] Falling Skies
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2013, 15:10 »

There's a lot here that seems aspirational, rather than a reflection of current game realities. Having played DUST kind of a lot, the gameplay doesn't lend itself all that deeply to notions of superhuman awesome, especially where reflexes and such are concerned (though DUST troops can turn and reverse momentum on an inertia-dampened dime, so there is that).

Even sniper scopes don't get the kind of zoomed precision the story talks about (unless you're using the legendarily horrific officer Thale's "sniper  rifle" [read: ultra-zoomed, extreme range howitzer]).

Also: there are several things (atmospheric fighters, to name one) mentioned in the story that are, as of yet, wholly unavailable in game. I'm also hoping we're not going to need to bring capsuleers into combat zones in order to get planetary defense cannons working.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2013, 15:12 by Aria Jenneth »

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2013, 15:52 »

I guess I was wrong on the whole firing thing. But I don't think Grid will ever know that (not unless Yanala somehow survives the Tea, something I highly doubt).
I would not be to sure about it. I get the impression that Admiral Mininela Erinen would very much like to get the truth out.

I will retain my honor, and in time the truth will be known
-Admiral Visera Yanala

Edit: Anyway, it's nice to know OOC too that Ché was right about her being the right person for the job.
-OOChé

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2013, 17:36 »

Doesn't change the fact that she was a raging Provist before. A deathbed conversion does not redeem ones misdeeds.

That being said, it was nice to see. And considering Erinen is the CINC of the Navy and reports to the CEP...everyone important knows, it seems easy to say.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2013, 17:59 »

Doesn't change the fact that she was a raging Provist before. A deathbed conversion does not redeem ones misdeeds.

That being said, it was nice to see. And considering Erinen is the CINC of the Navy and reports to the CEP...everyone important knows, it seems easy to say.

Strangely enough, I can't recall that. Are you sure?

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2013, 18:02 »

Can't recall what? That she was a Provist? I was having an argument with her on the IGS for a few days, so...yes. :)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #20 on: 02 May 2013, 18:16 »

Public faces. Can't have the admiral in charge of the flagship disobeying the ideas of the great Tibus Heth in public, can we? After all we know OOC she lied about spooling up the doomsday and never intended to fire it.

Or maybe she was both a provist and a would-be genocide doer. Regardless as far as all our toons know IC she was a provist and DID try to obliterate the planet.

I'm guessing plenty of our toons will be mighty surprised if we ever learn the truth. I know mine will.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #21 on: 02 May 2013, 18:37 »

Even if she was a Provist, that doesn't mean she didn't have the State's interests at heart. RPers sadly haven't jumped on the opportunity (and the devs haven't really pushed that angle, either, outside of Yanala), but there are good reasons for why someone might support the Provist ideals. Heth has just run it into the ground, which Yanala finally realized.

In fact, looking over the previous posts Yanala made on IGS, she didn't say anything wrong at all, really. Her comments were focused on solidarity of the State's people to face down threats to the State, in opposition to all the revolutionary chest beating. At least from what I see, she served more as a convenient target for people's hatred of the Provists than anything else.

Blegh. I still need to get my "disenfranchised Provist" character off the ground. It'd be fun to play out IC. Meh, alts.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #22 on: 02 May 2013, 19:18 »

If Sakura could read this article, I guarantee you she'd be smug as hell right about now.  Mostly glaring at the old bird with an "I told you so" expression... but noooo, no one in the State ever listens to the rogue Civire.  Until it's too late, that is. :lol:

OOC, not a bad article.  Long, but has a lot of information in it, so good on Falcon & friends for more info~.

Who's the waste of biomass now, Admiral?

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2013, 21:50 »

I liked it quite a lot. Maybe it weighs too heavily on the DUST side of the balance, but it's easy to understand that they have much less fiction and it has to be made up. Maybe it was me, btu it kinda gave the sensation that the Gallente won the ground battle as well, when they did not.

And it was the logical/forseeable story, but in this case I'm saying that as a virtue, I'm way too tired of "unexpected plot twists" and "Deus Ex Machina's" putting everything upside down. It's very nice that, for once, things happened as humans would make them happen, and explanations given on IGS were actually acurate because nothing "impossible" happened. I hope we get more of this.

Desiderya

« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2013, 05:03 »

Quote from: Samira
Heth has just run it into the ground, which Yanala finally realized.

Quite correct.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2013, 12:07 »

In an odd sort of way, I'm quite grateful to Diana Kim for going gung-ho for fascist cheerleader-dom. Somebody needed to, and sadly that line of RP goes so counter to almost everybody's every (post-WWII) instinct that it can be quite difficult to find somebody to take the job.

That said, I'm also grateful that Tibus Heth doesn't look like he's going to succeed in reforging the Caldari in the image of the Helghast, even if Caldari Prime did look an awful lot like some of the more rural bits of Helghan when we visited it in DUST. I'd always envisioned Caldari Prime as a snowball of a world where you rushed to get your crops planted as soon as the frost in the fields thawed enough for you to plow. I suppose that doesn't prevent having a Gobi Desert analog, though.

So, yes. No space Nazis as primary antagonists, please. We can have our characters living in interesting times without introducing something so unsubtle as a stable fascist dictatorship.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2013, 12:09 by Aria Jenneth »

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 05 May 2013, 09:17 »

Yanala nnnoooooo=

Wouldn't it be something if she survived the tea maker...

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #27 on: 05 May 2013, 09:28 »

Well. I understand she's not in Doomheim, so. :)

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 05 May 2013, 10:39 »

Yanala nnnoooooo=

Wouldn't it be something if she survived the tea maker...
Something silly, yes.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #29 on: 05 May 2013, 12:15 »

She will rise from her gurney with a Terran Superweapon.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 [2] 3