Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Author Topic: Minmatar Mixed Martial Arts (3MA)  (Read 807 times)

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
Minmatar Mixed Martial Arts (3MA)
« on: 19 Apr 2013, 11:20 »

(( I'm an avid MMA guy if you don't know. I'm drawing from some of that experience for a little something different for Logan. Something a little humbling, I do hope he survives it well. Enjoy. ))
PART I

I walked into the unmarked storefront, not sure what to expect. There was a slight jingle at the door signaling my arrival, but no faces turned to greet me. In the center of the room was a raised quadrant of flooring, padded. Thirty or so people, probably students grappled on the ground. Inches gained by effort were used to varying degree's. A hand placed here a foot there and an advantage gained. They wore no ceremonial garb. Just simple workout clothes, a few wore more traditional outfits, those seemed to suffer the worst. Some barely broke a sweat, others were coated in it. Lean muscles pushed and pulled. A spectacle to watch.

You see, I had some experience with the martial arts before, but this was rumored to be the best. -Just as a forewarning, I promised my training partner I would not reveal the location, but that I was going to speak about my experiences here.-

I sat on the set of bleachers overlooking the quad of mats, watching the movement on the floor. Towards the back of this room there was a workout and lifting area, mostly with resistance bands, free weights, a suspended bar with straps hanging off of it and a chalk board, scrawled with names I couldn't make out from this angle, what could have been names and times or reps scrawled over the surface. No fancy equipment, just old, solid.

Sets of doors led further into the back, no movement if there was anything back there. Dressing rooms I guessed.

There were no visible instructors, or at east nobody to greet me, so I had no choice but to wait. So I did, an hour passed… mind you it wasn't an hour wasted, I studied the movements on the mat, seeing various Minmatar, Amarr, Gallente, Caldari grappling moves plied, the quiet instructions of partners. Minute adjustments were made, and the drills and effort continued.

I was joined by a thin Siebestor entering through the front door and heading behind the small desk, a terminal and phone resting to his side. He was a few years older than me, his eyes slid over me dispassionately before waving me over. His shirt was a simple black, with tight white pants flexing with the movements of his muscled legs. He lounged in the chair with the ease of hours of practice.

"Here to learn or watch clone-boy?" He smirked up at me, obviously intending to be insulting, but his words were terribly weak after months of banter with other capsuleers. Perhaps he was just taking my measure. Self-consciously I could feel the pod jacks along my spine and back of my neck, remembered for just a second.

"Learn." I met his gaze, unflinching, but not impolite. He just nodded, the smirk did not leave his face. He looked down, filling out something on the terminal in front of him, mumbling something under his breath. I caught the last few words. "… we'll see about that."

His tone, even to himself was conversational, as if stating a fact, not really challenging, but just something he saw too often. He handed me a small thumb print device, motioning for my finger. I touched the device, and a throat cleared behind me.

I turned, a young man stood, hands clasped behind his back man, about my age, or rather, what would have been my age were I not a repeated clone of myself from when I was in my 20's stood there.

His black hair was close cut, deep brown eyes seeming to assess me down to the core instantly, calculating. He smiled and nodded towards me speaking in slightly accented Siebestor common, clear but the accent lingered. I caught a quick glance of a frowning woman, his recent sparring partner, disappearing into the back.

He extended his hand to me welcoming, "My name is Cadu, this is my school." He looked me up and down again…

"Of course we will ask you to remove your piercings, and your hair, well I will assume you know what to do with that. A capsuleer correct?" I nodded, suddenly conscious of my black mohawk bobbing, stupidly, I thought now, above me.

"Ah, good. Usually easy to pick out with all that metal in your back…" He nodded, calculating again. "Implanted… or rather, combat enhancements? Nanite blood? Steel muscles? built in weapons?" I stared for a moment, not often were those things so boldly asked. I felt no reason to lie, or conceal.

"A few enhancements, some nanite reserves in my blood, no replacement muscles on this clone, my piercings can easily be removed." I smiled at him, the man behind me made a motion and we moved off towards the back doors. He spoke over his shoulder.

"Good." He nodded, once, explaining, "I have some students that insist on the combat enhancements, replacement muscles, enhanced reflexes. Ever since their inclusion into the blood-sport they call fighting these days, it's the only way to compete. I would have had to pair you up against one of them, and none are ready… yet."

I heard a small chuckle from behind me in agreement to the last statement, but I didn't turn back around I just smiled as well, seemingly outside of the small joke. Cadu looked me over again and then nodded. "I'll have to keep an eye on you, you will be her first student."

I interrupted, "First student? You mean first capsuleer?"

Laughing again he turned away from me, leading me with a small motion of his arm to follow. "Oh, well without a doubt first capsuleer, I have trained the only other one. Students of this school are rare. A few ground rules," He started without waiting.

"Keep your fingernails trimmed and filed, always come in the same body unless you can't avoid it. Train two to three hours a day, twice a week before trying to do more, from the looks of you, it will take time to build up into that much." I felt a little color enter my cheeks. Nobody likes to be talked to like a lump of fat, I opened my mouth to protest, but didn't get the chance. "Leave all the fighting idea's you have at the door. Untrained is dangerous, untrained and full of shit idea's from holoreels, twice as dangerous."

Clearing my throat caught his attention for a moment, "And if I can't make it twice a week, or for that long each time?" He arched a brow, looking over his shoulder and then smiled, opening the single door into the back for me. "I trust you'll make it work."

There was iron in his voice, it didn't allow for argument. I stepped in and took stock of the room, a smallish dressing room the right, front wall of the dressing rooms were littered with workout gear.  The mats to the left, two, each about six foot square. I turned to the mats and Cadu handed me a set of workout clothes, roughly my size and he nodded towards the changing rooms.

He nodded at the room again, sliding the door shut behind him. "Go, we will see what we have to work with."

End of PART I

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
Re: Minmatar Mixed Martial Arts (3MA)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2013, 06:43 »

Where is part twooooo? This is amazing, really sets the scene!

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2013, 14:40 »

Part II - Delayed by work, maybe this weekend.

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2013, 09:11 »

Months later... Part 2

I stepped out in the offered clothes, loose shorts over tight shorts, a tight, but still somehow not well fitting t-shirt. Barefoot, piercings removed and hair, well hair more or less 'down.' I looked up at the sound of a faint sigh. Cadu had been joined by a woman, probably the one he had been speaking of. Her hair was a golden blonde at the tips, merging into a deep near black red as it piled towards her blackened roots, her multi-colored hair set off her nearly amber yellow eyes, the corners of her lips twitched slightly, not smiling, not frowning, consigned.

While Cadu's eyes had been assessing, her's were dismissive. Her gaze reminded me of a combat pilot, a predator, a little like Ava Starfire's. Assessing, addressing, categorizing, and then if necessary, dismissing or killing. A shiver ran down my spine.

Her outfit was well worn. Long brown shorts, similar to some swimwear I had seen, a tight black long sleeved top hugged her neck, seams over her shoulders and then more covering her chest. Not an outfit designed for sex appeal, but instead functionality.

Things progressed as one would expect, I ended up facing Kristin while she just smiled back at me. I fell into my combat stance, fists slightly open in front of my face, head slightly down, chin tucked. I recalled my training and instincts and came to rest more of my weight at the balls of my feet.

She circled to her right, my left, trying to square my hips towards her. I knew enough that if she was trying to get me to do something I should do the opposite, so I kept my weight on my back leg and rotated, keeping her in front of me. She jabbed, I guess I should count myself lucky it was just a jab, one I barely managed to avoid, but really she was just positioning me. I followed with a jab of my own but right as my hand started moving she was already past it, square against my hips, hands high on the back of my thighs, back straight. I had a wonderful view of the perfect form of her motions, and then suddenly, jarringly, on the mat, on my back.

I twisted with the fall, breaking most of the momentum with my arms before reaching up to grapple her shirt, using my legs to scissor at her hips. There was a brief moment of surprise as I countered her takedown, flipping her on her back and taking mount….

It was my only victory of the day.

Twisting she like an eel into full guard and then wrapped arm across the back of my neck, cupping my head down, forcing me to choke myself while my neck hyper extended at the same time. My implants along my neck tingled and dug painfully into my spine, this was a killing move, I tapped out after three seconds. My vision swam black as she released, blood rushing back into my head, sensation too.

We stood again, I looked at her, if before she looked consigned, now she was all business. Her stance was like mine, just more predatory, like the stance of a tiger playing with a cow. I stood and fell back into my combat stance. I must have looked like the cow, consigned to the slaughter. From there it was a clinic on how bad a fighter I was...

Her first steps took her to my left side, and from there, she was on me, her left hand went low and cupped my ankle in a grip that was like iron, her shoulder hitting in my low back enough to overbalance me and send me sprawling to the ground, I scooted back, feeling her, now above me resting her weight on my back as I scrambled back into a more appropriate turtle type position, elbows touching the inside of my knee's, but she was having none of it, she reached over my shoulder and pulled hard one way and then the other, landing me on my hip looking up at her, my arm still extended, her foot shot around my head and by the time I saw the armlock it was too late and in too deep.

Muscle and tendon flexed and I tapped her leg hard, grunting in pain from her the torque on my shoulder. It instantly lessened as she released my arm. She stood and looked down at me, offering her hand to help me up again. Her smile was long gone, but humor still flashed deep in her eyes.

Cadu had left. I only had a second to notice...

She came at me again, this time she caught what I thought was a quick jab and twisted herself around, flipping me over her hip before sinking into another arm-bar submission just as effective as the first. Next time it was faster, I tried to stay on the defense and sprawl when she came in for my legs, but I remained on top of her for a scant few seconds before she had me in full guard and then another wrist lock I could not escape.

The teaching started there, but not the instruction found in a stylized martial art, but instead a flowing group of principals. "Keep your arms in tighter." She'd whisper as she trapped me in another lock. "Don't give up your neck like that" She'd casually mention as her arms locked around my neck, choking me. An hour later I was glad to not have been striking against her from the start as she started to add firm taps of strikes to her arsenal, just when I thought my defense was getting better. "Know when to strike, when to defend and when to aggressively defend."

We stood again, and I stared at her, I thought I was in shape, but the press of muscled and weight against me had exhausted me completely. Arms wobbling slightly, sweat dripping down my brow. No wonder this woman seemed like iron every time I grasped her. I realized I wanted to be the iron. You never realize every life changing decision when you make one.

I stepped in again and again, but every time I thought I was doing a bit better, I found or rather felt a new shooting pain somewhere that I had let her in. I had one thing going for me, I was stubborn. So was she. Stubborn and in some kind of shape I have never seen before.

Another hour, more examples of what she was doing. I thought I had her twice, but really it was foolish to think so. She just lured me in with what she had just taught me to teach me something new. Inside I was categorizing each movement, each strike, each block.

She was on me again and I thought a good move would be to pull my right arm free, and use it, somehow to grapple her off. The tightness of the triangle and blinding pain of the taps she was landing on my forehead reminded me of her words just a few moments, or had it been hours, before? "Never give up an arm, the moment you do, you lose." I tapped, for what had to be the hundredth time that day, I tapped, and flopped back, beaten and exhausted.

She slid to her feet. "Come back in two days." I moved my fingers in assent, that small movement taking the remainder of my strength. So, I laid there spent, panting, coughing, focusing on breath again. The black tunnel surrounding my vision slowly faded...

AOkazon

• Wetgraver
  • 'zis is going to be ze awezome.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2013, 12:19 »

I like it!

The (ethnic) Gallente, being French, do Aikido, of course. ^_^

(I don't know why Aikido is so popular in France of all places, but it is).

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2013, 13:14 »

(I don't know why Aikido is so popular in France of all places, but it is).

Probably because of or for the same reasons as Judo, which is one of the first national sports around iirc. Don't ask me why...

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2013, 13:17 »

Thank you, I wrote another topic discussing what I thought most cultures did martial arts wise. Aikido is very effective but most grappling/redirecting arts borrow heavily from eachother, or outright steal (BJJ). Like look at Judo vs Jui Jitsu, Aikido vs Judo, Brazillian Jui Jitsu vs JJ. Or so called "MMA" people who really do striking form "A" and grappling form "B" salted to their tastes.

BJJ is pretty popular on the west coast of the states, as is kickboxing. Strange how some types of arts catch on in some area's and not others.