Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That  following several months of dedicated research, the Synenose Accord held a public and widely attended conference in the shattered Seyllin system, site of the tragic Seyllin Main-Sequence event? See more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: YDIW disguised moderation ?  (Read 7403 times)

Lyn Farel

YDIW disguised moderation ?
« on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:03 »

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=4564.0

Now that's an interesting case of moderation. This post is everything but a YDIW post.

- Unless I missed something Adreena never stated anywhere that she was going to play that kind of ex slave minmatar, which technically invalidates the YDIW option. You can not YDIW on something someone does if that someone actually does not do it.

- The post isn't either telling someone YDIW. It states clearly that the poster is quite fed up with that kind of RP history/BG, it also clearly offers other choices for the poster to go for something else.

I am not saying that post breaks no rule. What I am saying is it is certainly not YDIW.

Also, maybe speculation on my behalf here, but if you are going to blanket mod posters with a recurrent trend to get catacombed, maybe better to decide of other sanctions, rather than moderating everything in some kind of frenzy.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: YDIW disguised moderation ?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:06 »

The YDIW in this case wouldn't simply be regarding Adreena - the implication is that people who have or might choose to play an abused ex-slave shouldn't - which is to say they are doing it wrong.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:08 »

The implication that was taken away from that post when we saw the report was that "that kind" of ex-slave is doing it wrong.

You are free to disagree.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:20 »

Beaten soundly by Morwen and Silver.
They've already explained the reasoning so I'll make no further statement.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:14 »

Ok, I see your point, even if it's quite... looking for it imo. Thanks for the answer.

Why adding that bit ? It's just the polite form of

"This is why we did this and stfu if you disagree"

It's annoying (and not very respectful), especially since I don't even disagree.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:18 »

Ok, I see your point, even if it's quite... looking for it imo. Thanks for the answer.

It's annoying (and not very respectful), especially since I don't even disagree.

I would imagine it was added to let you know you are allowed to disagree.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:26 »

Now that's an interesting case of moderation. This post is everything but a YDIW post.

- Unless I missed something Adreena never stated anywhere that she was going to play that kind of ex slave minmatar, which technically invalidates the YDIW option. You can not YDIW on something someone does if that someone actually does not do it.

- The post isn't either telling someone YDIW. It states clearly that the poster is quite fed up with that kind of RP history/BG, it also clearly offers other choices for the poster to go for something else.

I am not saying that post breaks no rule. What I am saying is it is certainly not YDIW.

Also, maybe speculation on my behalf here, but if you are going to blanket mod posters with a recurrent trend to get catacombed, maybe better to decide of other sanctions, rather than moderating everything in some kind of frenzy.

Emphasis mine.

Which is it, Lyn? You very clearly disagree with our decision to moderate the post for being YDIW in the OP, and now you're saying you don't, when the OP pretty much said "I disagree with this"?

Make up your mind, please.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:36 »

Actually, that's a line we often add to posts here to make it clear that disagreeing with moderation is permitted. Which your OP very clearly did. If you feel it is out of line, make a report, but I can tell you right now that it is not. If you don't feel it is out of line, kindly stop creating conflict where there doesn't need to be any under the guise of concern.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2013, 16:22 »

Emphasis mine.

Which is it, Lyn? You very clearly disagree with our decision to moderate the post for being YDIW in the OP, and now you're saying you don't, when the OP pretty much said "I disagree with this"?

Make up your mind, please.

No, I don't. I thought the YDIW was related to Adreena, not other imaginary people "in general". The thought of it is so stretched that you will excuse me if I didn't thought of that in the first place.

Thus why my second post telling that I see Silver's point.

I'm annoyed to see you constantly trying to put words in my mouth, though. My apologies if I did the exact same thing with the "you are free to disagree", but that is damn ambiguous.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 16:24 by Lyn Farel »

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:54 »

As far as I can tell the moderated post was a response to my suggestion that, in order to explain the character's ignorance about Minmatar culture, Adreena have an ex-slave or diaspora origin. No idea why that provoked such a fine display of frothing. I don't recall saying anything about being an abused ex-slave.

Of course there's the whole debate about "does slavery constitute abuse in an of itself?" But that's been done quite a bit elsewhere.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2013, 19:30 »

I don't really see it as a YDIW post either, but considering I thought my own was fine earlier, maybe I don't have the eye for it. I will however put my observations here.

The first sentence does hint towards some aversion/satiation towards particular character types, but that in itself is not YDIW, imo.

In addition, it is followed by "Imo, it would be easier...", 'imo' indicating it's his opinion, and the word 'easier' is used, not 'better' or 'right'.
-OOChé

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2013, 01:56 »

I think this is one of those posts that could have been delicately worded to be more mod friendly at great expense of effort by the original poster. I have to say that I think it's a valid point though. I've played an amarrian and I've played a minmatar. I see Laerise's original post as no worse than any claim or even discussion of any mary sueism in RP.  Laerise could have encouraged the OP to speak with others in order to avoid overused tropes, but instead went for a more direct and honest route.

I don't think it attacked anyone in particular. If we stretch anyone's statements to whatever we assume they meant to state, ultimately all claims will become YDIW.

(edit: and yes I am siding with Laerise. I guess that means somebody has done it wrong at this point.)

Desiderya

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2013, 05:25 »

Gentlemen.
By now we all should have reached a point in life where we have realized that we are, in essence, not infallible and make mistakes, often without intending them.
So, if there was a post that got moderated for its harsh tone (or YDIW) why not indulge yourself to repost a reworked version in the post where you could make it clear what your original intend was. You can disagree with the moderation but the action has, after all, already happened.

In my own very simple world this is massively easier than discussions about every single post.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2013, 07:50 »

[edit: removed joke for being too easy]

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2013, 07:38 »

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=4578.msg72318#new

Because, Morwen, I do not intend to hire a dozen legal advisors and political correctness advisors when I make a post on a forum about internet spaceships.  :|
Pages: [1] 2