Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gradient (GRD) is an independent elite capsuleer unit affiliated with the Minmatar Republic?  Read more here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trend in development of EVE  (Read 2540 times)

Desiderya

Re: Trend in development of EVE
« Reply #15 on: 13 Apr 2013, 14:04 »

If your whole point is that there's a difference between a ship (The vengeance in this case) with a deadspace repper and one without, then yes. That's true.

Good gear makes good pilots better. That's always the case and hardly a surprise. However, buying your victory - I think not.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 13 Apr 2013, 14:46 »

Not my point.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #17 on: 13 Apr 2013, 15:38 »

My point is just that as I was answering to Silver, there exist some very specific cases where deadspace mods are almost a win button.

Gotcha, I misunderstood you. Yes, I completely agree with what you're saying there.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #18 on: 13 Apr 2013, 15:46 »

Good gear makes good pilots better. That's always the case and hardly a surprise. However, buying your victory - I think not.

I couldn't agree more. I'd go a bit further and argue that, unless you really know what you're doing, gear beyond plain tech 2 is almost counterproductive. On pretty much any scale I can think of (isk destroyed, bragging rights, etc), officer/deadspace fitted ships are a poor choice for PVP. They're expensive, so you have to destroy quite a few plain-fitted ships before you break even in cost invested versus cost spent. They appear from a PR perspective as an "I win" button, so they discount your wins while giving your enemies huge bragging points if they kill you. Most importantly (and this goes back to the "unless you really know what you're doing" bit), they can lead you to believe that it is your gear that is getting you victories rather than your tactics. I've known a few PVP pilots who have fallen into this trap: They feel great with their faction fitted ship, but if they lose it they feel useless until they can put together another. Meanwhile those of us flying plain T2 fitted Stabbers and Rifters just shrug off our losses and toss the market a nickel for another.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 13 Apr 2013, 16:40 »

T2 is also skill intensive, while the other meta gear needs minimal skills to fit.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #20 on: 13 Apr 2013, 19:10 »

I haven't played EVE for a while.

Possible inherent flaw in theory spotted.  ;)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 [2]