Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The language of the Amarr empire is spoken by more people than any other language? Read more in this Chronicle.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: CCP made Seriphyn's childhood lover/my alt to a SANSHA!  (Read 5125 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: CCP made Seriphyn's childhood lover/my alt to a SANSHA!
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2010, 22:17 »

The more I think about this, the more win CCP has.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2010, 02:43 »

The more I think about this, the more I'm less certain if this is an epic win on CCP's part or the start of a dangerous precedent.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2010, 07:42 »

The more I think about this, the more I'm less certain if this is an epic win on CCP's part or the start of a dangerous precedent.

I'm actually going to give CCP this one.

It was a very astute inference -- as Seriph literally handed them a letter that said "PLEASE DO SOMETHING REALLY MEAN TO MY CHARACTER" by contacting a CCP representative IC and handing them a plot hook.

The fact that they accepted and used the plot hook immediately is actually a sign that they're open to work with the community when offered things to go on.

My opinion on the events hasn't entirely changed, but I'm impressed with how rapidly the writing of some of the actors has improved considerably, and I admit as things move on I may have been wrong in my assumption of the "hokey" cliche I was expecting it to become -- given directions things are taking a startling turn towards the positive.

Also latching onto this plot hook is a definite gain for them in my eyes (not that they're trying to impress me, but I figured I would update :P ).

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2010, 08:35 »

I understand why Yoshito is a little wary, but honestly I'm not too worried -- Seriphyn gets no substantive reward for this, and it only helps build the verisimilitude for everyone.  This is the kind of "reward" I loved to see from the AURORA events, like when the Ishukone rep acknowledged Omerta's history.  Faction gear and junk like that is a shallow high, fleeting, aside from its favoritism issues.

Stuff like this will persist in the minds of players forever.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2010, 08:54 by Svetlana Scarlet »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2010, 08:52 »

And, if you tell the story right, this is the sort of thing that draws people to EVE (and RP).

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2010, 14:34 »

oh man, i just read this post, following EVE-o's post from CCP dropbear in the fiction section.

Seri, seriously this is a most amazing development, kudos to CCP for adapting it on the fly.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2010, 16:16 »

My only trepidation is that EVERYONE will suddenly want such attention. And I doubt it can be provided to everyone.

Also, I just saw that Dropbear linked to my comment above. That amuses me more than anything.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2010, 16:18 by Yoshito Sanders »

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2010, 16:23 »

Also, I just saw that Dropbear linked to my comment above. That amuses me more than anything.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2010, 20:54 »

My only trepidation is that EVERYONE will suddenly want such attention. And I doubt it can be provided to everyone.

From a event-runner on other systems in the past -- I can assure you that the people who like to be paid in a quality story event by having a minor bit part in it are the biggest boon in the world.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2010, 21:58 »

I agree.

However, the danger is that there'll be more people who appreciate having the minor parts played than CCP can accommodate. I'm not sure if there will actually be more people than CCP can handle. But if there are, I would bet you'll hear cries of favoritism as soon as the first person is ignored.

And, alternately, there's the danger that people will misread the minor boons as being larger than they are. Though at least on this count, I believe it won't be a big problem.

I'm not convinced either will actually wind up being issues. I'm certainly hoping they aren't. I just have to hold some amount of trepidation because I've seen such things go awry in the past.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2010, 08:34 »

Your assassins have been dispatched and are now en route
Pages: 1 [2]