Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ishukone corporation is one of the major players in the 'liberal' faction and was the first non-Jovian organization to receive capsule technology from the Jovians?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: 'Hugfest', or a civil discussion on the topic of inter-faction interaction  (Read 9060 times)

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself

Am I the only one who doesn't really see that much hugfesting going on? Perhaps it's because I don't pay attention that much.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2013, 11:57 by Silver Night »

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah

Am I the only one who doesn't really see that much hugfesting going on? Perhaps it's because I don't pay attention that much.

It would depend where. The Summit is quite civilized and focus on non-conflictive discussion topics, so lots of happiness there. The IGS doesn't share that amount of happiness, on the other hand.

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself

It would depend where. The Summit is quite civilized and focus on non-conflictive discussion topics, so lots of happiness there. The IGS doesn't share that amount of happiness, on the other hand.

I won't call being civil to an opposing faction being the same as jumping into bed with them.

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

No, you're not.

People being civil with each other in places like the Summit is not 'hugfesting'. It's people being civil and keeping business separate from play in a channel whose stated original purpose is as a diplomatic venue.

People very, very frequently go anti-hugfest in face-to-face venues, among friends.

As for complaints of people fraternizing... well. There are lots of anti-hugfest reasons to participate in such things. Not that any of the so-called hugfesters are even remotely capable of such things, no sir, not at all. :roll:

Edit - removed the puppetmaster stuff, reposting it in the original thread.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2013, 12:03 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.

People being civil isn't hugfesting. Maybe it's just me v0v I just see things that don't make sense from what I know of said character(s) background and it just ruins my immersion sometimes. Perhaps the bitter is finally coming out in this vet.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Lyn Farel

Staunch loyalists or anyone just being civil at times and on the right venues are not really hugglefesting, they are just being polite/diplomatic.

Hugglefesting mostly comes from character specifically designed to get along with everyone and actively trying to do so (to the point of trying too hard), I think.

I also think that a lot of these use the Summit frequently. But I do not see anything especially wrong with that kind of characters. After all, that's a little like IRL, somehow...

One thing that I find extremely hugglefesting on a personal level though, even if not done intentionally, is people calling my character by her firstname. It does not happen only on Eve, but in most online roleplay venues I have been part of. I am not really sure why, maybe OOC bleedover - except for characters specifically designed to be dramatically friendly/buddy/familiar - but even strangers address to other characters by their firstnames. It tends to sound quite wrong to my ears. I just feel the need to ask if they know each other or who the hell do they think they are. Well, my character couldnt care less, but she still finds it a little confusing. Me on an OOC level, extremely confusing, and maybe wrongly, quite buddy-buddy.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread

Considering that the topic I'm about to speak about does not seem to be considered as off-topic by the mods, I'll get something of my chest.

I suppose Ché could be seen as a hugglefester. He does however have good reasons to have friendly relations with people some might expect he would avoid. I won't go into too much detail (unless asked) but among the reasons is that he believes friendly interaction can be more effective in reaching his goals than antagonism.
-OOChé

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

[mod]Split from the Driving characters thread. Please note that this whole topic should be approached with rules against YDIW in mind - and being that there has already been moderation related to YDIW attached to this very topic, that rule will be swiftly enforced indeed. [/mod]

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons

Malcolm makes it a point to be civil where he can but I seriously doubt you could call any of his communications "hugglefest." There's a lot of examples of that and a lot of characters that do it well.

I've seen very, very few instances of what I would call "hugglefest," as that seems more like someone who screams "can't we all just get along?!" and avoids any and all forms of interfaction conflict.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Some people get a free pass for questionable behaviour, while others are pilloried for the most minor of things.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I often lurk in the Summit, watching all sorts of people I'd imagine would be extremely antagonistic being super BFFS. 

I often have the OOC channel open, and it's hard to tell the channels apart. 

While we can't have +10 grimdark 100% of the time, every once and a while it get's too.... happy fluffy sugar fun time between supposed enemies for my tastes.

And I do consider this with my RP; as far as I'm concerned IC if upstanding types want to be seen cavorting and socializing happily with killers and fiends they are the ones who are going to look silly. I go out of my way with my character to be nice and polite sometimes to people who should probably not even be speaking to her.

This is one of the areas I'm still proud of many Amarr RPers for; meaning some of them are staying true to character and avoiding channels, situations, conversations based on these issues.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

Depends on what people mean by 'hugglefesting'.

I've seen it used to refer to general politeness on the Summit, willingness to negotiate for actual progress with a nominally hostile group or person, and personal willingness to go out and relax/interact on a socializing level with nominally hostile groups or people.

The last is something that I personally try to avoid, although in rare occasions Esna has formed personal bridges with people in supposedly hostile groups (and vice versa).

The former two, however, are heavily influenced by the characters involved. Esna, for instance, tends to get rather snippy with Silas on the Summit because he hates Blooders and anyone who comes close to them. Actually negotiating with Silas is completely off the table.

Many others, by contrast, he is perfectly willing to speak with so long as he actually thinks he can get some progress by doing so - and this isn't entirely flapping in the wind: Because of the interaction of storylines and game mechanics, Esna has had more success in achieving his goals by talking to people than by shooting their ships. In some ways, this has become his 'character hat'.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

Synthia > Hello Captain Merdaneth.
Merdaneth > Heretic Synthia.

Synthia > Hello Cardinal Graelyn.
Graelyn > Oh. You. Hello.

Perfectly possible to be unfriendly without being impolite. Especially when it involves characters to whom behaviour is a big deal. E.g. it might be "unamarrian" to curse at someone in public. You know, slaves might hear, and other such concerns.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I personally consider negotiating / talking with an entirely different subject not a part of this thread.  Enemies have to negotiate, and enemies can be civil in certain circumstances.

OMG I TOTES LOVE YOUR NEW DRESS LETS GO PAINT OUR NAILS. SURE YOU ARE A SLAVER AND BRUTALIZE MY PEOPLE AND SHOOT MY FRIENDS AND HATE EVERYTHING I DEEPLY BELIEVE IN.... LIKE, I TOTALLY DON'T MIND RIGHT NOW! LETS BE BESTIES FOREVER.  OOH LETS GET SOME ICE CREAM AND GO SEE A MOVIE

Anslol

If you don't like how they act, don't pay attention. It's not like it interferes with your story development or character development.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6