Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ships in EVE have crews?  Really.

Author Topic: MMORPG article - Cult of (multiple) Personality  (Read 3110 times)

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4221/Cult-of-Multiple-Personality.html

I don't even think this lady even plays EVE but yet it sounds horribly familiar. lulz.

Edit: hmm maybe I shoulda put this in one of teh RP categoriez.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2010, 06:28 by IzzyChan »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: MMORPG article - Cult of (multiple) Personality
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2010, 07:35 »

Oh, yes, MMORPG.com, the bastion of balanced and thoughtful writing about MMOGs...  :roll:

With the exception of The Mittani's column, I totally ignore that site, and that sort of trolling more or less explains why.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2010, 08:05 »

I dunno, I find that there's a few interesting things on the site.  This one was about rp so I was curious to see what people thought about it. :o

Edit again:
I agree and disagree with a few things on the article but I'm not going to dismiss the entire thing as "trolling." Come on now. :P
« Last Edit: 10 May 2010, 08:08 by IzzyChan »

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2010, 08:07 »

Yes, it's definitely trolling and doesn't talk about things that happen regularly in RP communities.

It's about a stereotype.

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2010, 08:14 »

Stereotype, yeah but reading it many instancces in eve popped into my head. Even if exagerated what is mentioned in that article exist and happens more frequently than one might hope.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2010, 08:17 »

Now that I think about it EVE rp does kinda feel like high school all over again. ^_^

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2010, 08:17 »

Of course it does. Role-players tend towards being Prima Donnas more than many other groups. Creative people in general tend to fall into that trap.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2010, 08:32 »

:lol:

I found it rather hilarious and true.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2010, 08:34 »

Like the best lies, the best trolls have enough truth to make you say, "hmm, wait a minute, maybe..."

Then the writer starts going on like this:

Instead of hating role-players as being different, realize they're probably full of much, much more vitriol than you are.

There's more, but that's more or less when I realized IHBT.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm certainly not accusing Izzy of trolling! It's definitely a relevant link for this site, of course.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2010, 08:36 »

Like the best lies, the best trolls have enough truth to make you say, "hmm, wait a minute, maybe..."

Not sure why you seem to be taking this personally.

Then the writer starts going on like this:

Instead of hating role-players as being different, realize they're probably full of much, much more vitriol than you are.

There's more, but that's more or less when I realized IHBT.

Except there are a great deal of roleplayers that have far, far more vitriol to them than I could ever even begin to manufacture on purpose.

The TL;DR of this post would be: "Like any group, roleplayers have the same amount of shitcocks, elitists, drama llamas, and pretentious windbags as any other group -- although they may in fact have more drama llamas". Edit: Okokok, I added the "they may have more drama llamas" part myself. It seemed pertinent.

Also: That is entirely true.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2010, 08:41 »

Right, but I inferred (possibly incorrectly) that the writer is saying that RPers have a greater tendency in that direction than those of other play styles, and that has not been my experience. Lots of drama among all players, as it just comes from human nature. Go to a local school board meeting, for example...

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2010, 08:45 »

Casual role-players (aka "softcore") are the majority group.

The rule-breakers are those that blatantly twist the lore, engage in 'godmoding' or other 'good taste' rules - the role-playing equivalent of players who roll need on loot because the game gives them the option to.

That's right, role-players have their own form of elitist jerks that will tell you how to play. Just like every other group.

All taken from the article where she introduced each subset.

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2010, 05:04 »

TL;DR version of that article: "I hate /sip"

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2010, 06:10 »

This article claims that role-playing is a dangerous hobby?

This article is a throwback to the idiocy of the eighties, then. There is no real benefit in reading further once you reach this point, but I am sorry to say I did.

The classifications set up in the game are kind of weak. Breaking the population into casual/crappy/hardcore doesn't account for the newer trends we're seeing in these groups, of which EVE has a few. 'Rule-breaker' is not a demographic any stickier than 'munchkin.' It doesn't cover the sort of thing the other two demographics might, on a good day - despite the fact that the other two demographics take one's degree of adherence to precedent in given fiction and one's focus or time spent taking part in a certain activity to be equally important.

I do like how virtually every criticism leveled at this specific segment of MMOG players can be applied elsewhere. It's...clever.