Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

All male members of the Ardishapur family traditionally have their right hand amputated? See why you don't make the Emperor's mother angry.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: DEV BLOG: The Battle For Caldari Prime v2  (Read 26274 times)

Grideris

• Wetgraver
  • Keeper of the bowl of Infinite Popcorn
Re: DEV BLOG: The Battle For Caldari Prime v2
« Reply #225 on: 24 Mar 2013, 05:18 »

Towards the very end, the primary reactor had containment failures, and they had to start using the secondary reactor, which quickly got overloaded trying to hold the shields (it seems). So that at least prevented her firing at the very end.

As for why she didn't fire earlier, it was a positioning thing. Not sure if it was range or just positioning (while the missiles can do their own navigation, it seemed to need to be positioned right to get all the missiles to hit all the different targets in one salvo which is more or less what it gets before everyone turns on it). I don't think it was sabotage due to it firing earlier at the CONCORD battleship. And whether or not Yanala was purposely holding off the trigger, I don't know. All Grid knows is he saw a Titan that was seriously threatening to bombard the planet with missile silos open and primed to fire at a moment's notice.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #226 on: 24 Mar 2013, 05:33 »

As for why she didn't fire earlier, it was a positioning thing. Not sure if it was range or just positioning (while the missiles can do their own navigation, it seemed to need to be positioned right to get all the missiles to hit all the different targets in one salvo which is more or less what it gets before everyone turns on it). I don't think it was sabotage due to it firing earlier at the CONCORD battleship. And whether or not Yanala was purposely holding off the trigger, I don't know. All Grid knows is he saw a Titan that was seriously threatening to bombard the planet with missile silos open and primed to fire at a moment's notice.

It's not a matter of positioning, since the Oblivion is capable of firing at targets behind the ship. The Shiigeru could have been facing away from the planet and still DD'ed it, as long as it was in range.

Range seems to be the main culprit--though what's up in the air is why it was out of range. She'd moved into position ahead of time, and logs seem to show that Yanala honestly thought she was in range when she attempted to fire. So if she was out of range that first time, it would have been because she made a huge rookie mistake and miscalculated her distance from the planet and was forced to adjust to the proper distance after making that realization (this seems highly unlikely to me, considering her experience). The other alternatives are that the weapon or the ship's targeting systems was sabotaged, the Federation employed some sort of advanced TD that could disrupt the Titan's normal optimal range (or some sort of target breaker preventing her from achieving a stable lock. Still a case of advanced EWAR), or Yanala had no intention of firing and used the range comment as an excuse to her fleet (not very likely at this point).
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2013, 05:37 by Samira Kernher »

Grideris

• Wetgraver
  • Keeper of the bowl of Infinite Popcorn
« Reply #227 on: 24 Mar 2013, 06:05 »

It's not a matter of positioning, since the Oblivion is capable of firing at targets behind the ship. The Shiigeru could have been facing away from the planet and still DD'ed it, as long as it was in range.

Range seems to be the main culprit--though what's up in the air is why it was out of range. She'd moved into position ahead of time, and logs seem to show that Yanala honestly thought she was in range when she attempted to fire. So if she was out of range that first time, it would have been because she made a huge rookie mistake and miscalculated her distance from the planet and was forced to adjust to the proper distance after making that realization (this seems highly unlikely to me, considering her experience). The other alternatives are that the weapon or the ship's targeting systems was sabotaged, the Federation employed some sort of advanced TD that could disrupt the Titan's normal optimal range (or some sort of target breaker preventing her from achieving a stable lock. Still a case of advanced EWAR), or Yanala had no intention of firing and used the range comment as an excuse to her fleet (not very likely at this point).

Positioning isn't the same thing as orientation. The titan wasn't going to shoot a single location, but multiple locations all across the planet. This might necessitate things such as the missiles using orbital trajectories to get the required range to hit their targets (or avoid terrain, bypass captured surface defences, etc). Moving around would necessitate recalculating such trajectories (which might take time depending on the complexity), and some targets might be impossible to hit from the new position. Not to mention that the planet was "rotating" the whole time, so the targets would also be shifting from previously calculated locations. (Of course, most of the above is speculation on my part, so it might be the case that the Titan can just sit anywhere in range of the planet and press teh buttan!)

And it wasn't just the Oblivion that was going to fire. It was also the citadel missiles the Titan carried. Mind you, they don't need to be facing their targets either, but the missiles launched rear silos at least would have a little bit longer to travel than the ones from the fore silos if the titan is pointing towards the planet (as it was).

Lyn Farel

« Reply #228 on: 24 Mar 2013, 06:24 »

The sabotage theory is nearly impossible; the Oblivion was already activated once - against the CONCORD battleship. For it to have been sabotage the act would have had to have been committed after that event, a mere 1-2 hours before it started trying to fire on the planet. That, or the nature of the sabotage would have meant that the weapon had to be fired at least once before it broke down, but the Gallente had no way of knowing it would first be used on CONCORD unless they staged that as well.

That

Maybe Yanala was actually not being honest when telling that she was in range.

Speculation indeed, and I find it not especially useful to have it OOCly rather than ICly.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #229 on: 24 Mar 2013, 07:24 »

Was nagging Falcon about this in OOC last night. He said clarification will be coming in a news post soon.

The speculation is interesting, but it's turning fast into one of those endless circle debates people get stuck on for years. The more interesting discussion will be who ordered the use of the strike in the first place, and the fallout that will have.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #230 on: 24 Mar 2013, 09:15 »

Ugh, I really wish Falcon would stop talking to people OOC like that. If you want to show something, show it, don't tell it. Drives me up the wall having them break the fourth wall like that. I don't care if you're his friend or not...he should know better.

For much the same reason, I wish they would not announce this crap beforeheand, because it leads to everyone and their mother trying to join in and the generally retarded atmosphere that tends to follow these. If you want to give hints something big is happening, fine, say tensions are escalating in news stories or whatever, maybe give a hint that "something" is happening some morning or whatever, but they basically telegraphed this whole thing, which drives me a lot more nuts than almost anything else.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #231 on: 24 Mar 2013, 09:30 »

I disagree. He's not given details as to what will be revealed, there haven't been plot spoilers of any kind. He just stated that everything will be explained in time, it was more a reassurance that the story isn't just ending with the Titan blowing up and ROLL CREDITS.

Honestly, I can appreciate your point of view, but he's not sat here feeding spoilers or even hints.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #232 on: 24 Mar 2013, 09:42 »

If they want to convince people that the story isn't over and that things are still happening, though...then they should show that things are still happening, not post in the Live Events forum saying "things are happening, trust us" or telling you or anyone else via email. I would never send Falcon (or anyone else I know who works at CCP) email asking that kind of thing, and I wouldn't expect them to give it. It't bad for immersion and it's bad because it can lead to that same type of cliquishness that contributes to accusations of favoritism, no matter how outlandish they may be. Communicate the storyline through the storyline.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #233 on: 24 Mar 2013, 09:44 »

Quote from: CCP Eterne
Titan doomsdays are hardcoded not to work in high sec. There was no way we could used it without rewriting fundamental game code, something that wasn't feasible.

Link

Therefore:

Quote from: Samira Kernher
the Oblivion was already activated once - against the CONCORD battleship.

Is not true mechanically nor is it captured in the news article.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #234 on: 24 Mar 2013, 09:49 »

I have to disagree, Svet. Ignoring concerns raised by customers is poor business practice, and where corporate rollout procedures don't permit immediate formal response, holding statements like 'an answer is coming' or, in another example 'that killmail will be posted' (for the titan KM) are appropriate. Falcon isn't giving any information informally, only indicating that information will be forthcoming at a future time.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #235 on: 24 Mar 2013, 11:10 »

Titan doomsdays are hardcoded not to work in high sec. There was no way we could used it without rewriting fundamental game code, something that wasn't feasible.

Link

Therefore:

To be absolutely, totally, one-hundred-percent clear on this: What happened is the CONCORD battleship was killed using a GM /kill command; Admiral Yanala then immediately posted in local that the Oblivion was on "cooldown". This was taken by a great many people - myself included - to mean that the Oblivion was, in-character, fired against the CONCORD battleship.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #236 on: 24 Mar 2013, 11:52 »

Link

Therefore:

To be absolutely, totally, one-hundred-percent clear on this: What happened is the CONCORD battleship was killed using a GM /kill command; Admiral Yanala then immediately posted in local that the Oblivion was on "cooldown". This was taken by a great many people - myself included - to mean that the Oblivion was, in-character, fired against the CONCORD battleship.

This. While they could not mechanically fire the DD, they did so *IC* - I.E hand waving it and saying it happened.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #237 on: 24 Mar 2013, 13:25 »

Just for the record, someone got the Titan loot. All of it was Caldari Navy faction mods, 1 invul, 1 EM ward, 1 thermic ward, 1 explosive ward and two power diagnostic systems.

Also dropped were 3 Citadel launchers and the Oblivion, but I don't know if anyone got those due to their size.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #238 on: 25 Mar 2013, 03:41 »

The Caldari are currently 500 victories ahead of the Federation with 7276 against 6770 as of 0200 UTC. 

Whether this will hold when the smoke clears and orbital dominance starts to show, who knows, but for now, it appears that the State has Caldari Prime surface operations in a death grip.  This may be the last day of the CP DUST514 event too, so watch this space.

-UPDATE-

Confirmed that the FDU/SPROT suit event finishes at 11:00 GMT/UTC, leaving just over an hour for the gap to be closed.  I eagerly await news based on these developments.  Well done to all mercenaries involved.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2013, 03:44 by Aelisha Montenagre »

Vikarion

« Reply #239 on: 25 Mar 2013, 04:26 »

I would be very surprised if a DUST 514 result favoring the Caldari has any impact at all upon the storyline. Somewhat divorced from my general cynicism about Falcon and CCP, as a practical matter the dusties can't choose the side they fight on in a particular match, and while I have heard of a lot of dusties trying to throw matches, it seems like a rather difficult mechanism for loyalty to operate through. Somewhat unrealistic.

I can just see it:

Player 1: "Hey, why are you sitting in the operations room playing solitaire? We're supposed to be out fighting for the Fed!"

Player 2: "For the State!"

Anyway, with the scripted event over CP having the Leviathan destroyed, it seems that CCP is bent on reverting CP to Fed control. So, if the State wins on the ground, this will present some serious problems for that storyline. In that case they have a few options:

1. (Least likely) The State wins. Dusties and Caldari civvies on the ground effectively tell the Federation to fuck off.

2. (Most likely, at this point): The State wins. This is written into a stalemate situation, giving the Fed a chance to have another go, or to maintain a constant level of battle.

3. State wins. CCP writes it up as a Gallente victory anyway, possibly through an applied Macguffin or another scripted space event.

4. Fed wins. They get CP, and we get a few weeks of news articles about all of Tibus Heth's death camps.

5. Fed wins, but is written up as a stalemate, or there are still resisters. This allows for future battles and a continuation in the Dust map roster.

For my money, I'm betting on option 2. I don't see how there's any way CCP would give the State a clear cut victory on the ground, if for no other reason than that they then can't use that really pretty Titan map (I think - it is beta, after all).
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19