Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mind Clash is a hugely popular sport throughout the cluster, and is centered on the willpower of two opponents? Read more here!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Dev Blog: The Battle for Caldari Prime  (Read 10342 times)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
Re: Dev Blog: The Battle for Caldari Prime
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2013, 16:42 »

:D

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2013, 19:34 »

Sadly won't make be able to make it. Hopefully the livestream will be recorded for future viewing.

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2013, 19:36 »

I have no real idea how the Caldari Militia will be able to do anything for the event unless there's some sudden reveal...
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Vikarion

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2013, 19:57 »

I have no real idea how the Caldari Militia will be able to do anything for the event unless there's some sudden reveal...

I think this is moderately clever of them. Instead of railroading things to happen no matter what, now they just set it up to where there is absolutely no possibility of success for one side.  :P

There's no way for most Caldari RPers (having done missions for the State or being in FW) to go fight for the Titan. If more than a couple people show up to defend it, I'll be greatly surprised. On the ground, too, since CCP ran a big storyline about the Caldari trying to kill all the Dusties.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2013, 19:58 by Vikarion »

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2013, 20:02 »

I just mentioned this on Twitter, but the fact that this is right after downtime may be a clue here. There's some speculation in the TMC bullpen that this may mean Luminaire's security rating will be dropped to lowsec.

Vikarion

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2013, 20:06 »

I just mentioned this on Twitter, but the fact that this is right after downtime may be a clue here. There's some speculation in the TMC bullpen that this may mean Luminaire's security rating will be dropped to lowsec.

Falcon already stated in the original thread that they couldn't just "turn it off", and that we'd have to leave FW. Or implied as such. Hell, I'll just quote it:

Quote from: CCP Falcon
Quote from: Seriphyn Inhonores
Question - Will you be disabling the FW and sec status NPCs in Luminaire for this event?
CONCORD and the navies will still be on the prowl for those who choose to breach the Yulai Convention.
At the same time, trust me, you'll be able to shoot at eachother.

To clear up the most common question:

It's not physically possible to just "turn off" factional warfare NPCs, or the status of a system as a Factional Warfare system. Whether or not players decide they want to depart from the militia for a few days or not is entirely their own choice.

So yes. The Caldari are fucked, again. I'm starting to enjoy being right all the time. :P
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2013, 20:13 by Vikarion »

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2013, 20:25 »

Why not see it as an opportunity to get involved rather than whine about some speculative inevitability?

Vikarion

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2013, 20:32 »

Why not see it as an opportunity to get involved rather than whine about some speculative inevitability?

Well, first, I can't get involved, since I'm in FW, and since I'm in FW, I have -10 Gallente standings even if I leave it, and why would I leave my corporation for a one-off CCP event anyway? Second, why do I want to engage in a hopeless battle? Third, why would I want to support CCP's live events, when they tend to be organized in such a way that we can't win, at terrible times for the players? Heck, last live event, the event actor who contacted us even directed us into Gallente space, and I had to run around trying to tell everyone it was at New Caldari.

No, thanks anyway.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2013, 20:34 »

Falcon already stated in the original thread that they couldn't just "turn it off", and that we'd have to leave FW. Or implied as such. Hell, I'll just quote it:

Quote from: CCP Falcon
Quote from: Seriphyn Inhonores
Question - Will you be disabling the FW and sec status NPCs in Luminaire for this event?
CONCORD and the navies will still be on the prowl for those who choose to breach the Yulai Convention.
At the same time, trust me, you'll be able to shoot at eachother.

To clear up the most common question:

It's not physically possible to just "turn off" factional warfare NPCs, or the status of a system as a Factional Warfare system. Whether or not players decide they want to depart from the militia for a few days or not is entirely their own choice.

So yes. The Caldari are fucked, again. I'm starting to enjoy being right all the time. :P

The second line makes it sufficiently vague I can't really see what the plan is.

Although the close proximity to downtime makes me wonder. There were rumors of some giant supergun built on Caldari Prime that will most likely be the target for the Dusties. Presuming this is true, the DUST battle for the supergun will determine if the Leviathan gets shot down? Or maybe weaken the Leviathan enough for Capsuleers to decide its fate...

I'm very curious how the DUST interaction will do anything as far as the ground-to-space part is concerned.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2013, 21:09 »

Afternoon UTC on Friday - I will be at work.

It will take a significant amount of effort to organize a sufficiently large Caldari loyalist fleet to 1) trigger all the faction spawns* (preferably away from the main battle) and 2) able to actually oppose everyone interested in being on the Caldari State Leviathan killmail. 

*Is there a limit on Faction Spawns?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2013, 21:25 »

If they lower the system to lowsec does that not remove the faction npc spawns from gates? I'm not up to date on that gameplay.

Also Vikarion how exactly does this fuck the Caldari, and how is it unwinnable?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2013, 21:54 »

If they lower the system to lowsec does that not remove the faction npc spawns from gates? I'm not up to date on that gameplay.

Also Vikarion how exactly does this fuck the Caldari, and how is it unwinnable?

There is very little confidence that the security rating of Luminaire (1.0) and Algogille (0.9) are going to change.

This means anyone in the Caldari Militia or with -5 or less Federation Standing will trigger a high-strength Federation Navy NPC spawn (I do not know the limit on the number of spawns), twice.

So, in addition to any Federation loyalist, killmail opportunist, etc, there will also be the auto-generated Federation Navy NPC spawn that the Caldari players will need to deal with.

While years ago it was possible to conduct raids of opposing high-sec space I am pretty sure it utilized neutral logistics (Feds raiding Motsu was popular if I recall correctly).   I know the neutral logistics tactic is no longer valid.  I do not know if there are still those who conduct organized raids into high-sec.

All this adds up to a deck stacked against the Caldari from the start.  Every possibility that any effort put into pushing against it is a waste and the Caldari lose Caldari Prime.  Maybe it is self-fulfilling prophecy, maybe it isn't.  I can't participate anyway.

All this being said, most of us have recognized the untenable position of actually securing Caldari Prime and it may even be captured in PF somewhere at this point as being recognized by the CN ages ago.

For RP purposes, it means that we lost home.  I am not exactly sure what that means for everyone.   For some characters it may mean "taking a long walk with the ancestors," for others permanent exile, for most probably no real change.  But the response of some players/characters may very well be biomassing.

Vikarion

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2013, 22:32 »

What Orange said, Silas, in practical terms.

In RP terms, possessing CP is basically something (almost) every Caldari RPer supports. It's kind of necessary. It's also the only thing that Caldari RPers actually "got" from the whole TEA debacle. Sure, we lost the mega-corporate government, had the whole State ret-conned, have the Federation burning our low-sec systems to the ground, and are officially the nazis of the setting, but at least we got CP back. Well, now we don't get to have that either.

What can you tell a new player to entice them towards the Caldari side? Are we actually a shadow-run-ish setting? No, turns out that we're a fascist dictatorship. Are we at least a cool fascist dictatorship? No, Heth is a moron and is essentially an expy of Hitler, minus the amount of early success. Are we the most militarily successful faction? No, we're supposed to have the most capable navy, but the reality is that we aren't allowed to win anything even when we hold our own systems or take those of the enemy. Do we provide for our citizens? No, apparently we cram them all into dormitories and everyone spends all their spare isk on gambling (how this population supports a consumer sector is beyond me). Oh, and our society is racist, xenophobic, and anti-democratic. All of this, I note, is post-TEA ret-conning and etc. And I can source it.

But, eh, I can't be much motivated to care anymore. I'm mainly even complaining because it's either a last dying ember of concern, or because I find the writing of (legitimate) complaints fun. I'm still in Eve, but by the "where have you beens" I occasionally get, I can testify that I'm talking and doing less and less RP. The Caldari RP scene (lore, live events, and story) is pretty much a pile of shit that a few dedicated players are still trying to live with, and I think I'm done with that, even if I still like spaceships. I don't think it can be resurrected or salvaged at this point. I thought about joining the Blooders, but that doesn't make much sense for my character, and I imagine that CCP just hasn't gotten around to screwing them up yet. Plus, I still enjoy FW.

So, yes. To hell with their live events and story. I may not be able to do anything about where CCP shits on the story, but I don't have to stand under them when they do.  :P

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2013, 22:36 »

I-RED will be hosting a fleet for this event.

Mails are being sent out.

Contact me if you want a copy of it and have not gotten one yet. Ostensibly, we'll be defending the titan... but since Heth will likely go batshit insane with it, we'll probably end up shooting it. Bring close range shield BCs.

« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2013, 12:44 by Katrina Oniseki »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7