Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When EVE first launched, the highest and most dangerous NPC imaginable was a 50k Cruiser?

Author Topic: Cultural patriarchies  (Read 1697 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Cultural patriarchies
« on: 09 May 2010, 11:45 »

The Amarr Empire (and, until recently, the Minmatar Republic) both have had female leadership, and many many of the NPC corporations continue to do so.

But I still have curiosity about PF indications for various cultures and bloodlines, vis-a-vis gender equality culturally if not legally. (As an example, my home state of Texas has had numerous female governors, but I doubt anyone here can really claim that women are treated as full equals by the culture.)

I'm asking this partly in the context of religious leadership. I have an idea for a character focused on social justice and related issues, and while one part of me says that a woman could easily do this, I don't want to feel like I'm simply playing to stereotypes. I'll start a separate thread later for that character, so in the meantime:

What do we know from PF about the roles of women in the larger societies within EVE?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Cultural patriarchies
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2010, 12:09 »

I am disappointed that EVE PF still exhibits patriarchy. The Head of Senate Aulmont Meis was going to be a female, but flipped to a man to catch up with the NPC character. We've had a female Presidential candidate, and thus likely several female Presidents for the Fed, it might just be coincedence...the Jin-Mei culture says how it is patriarchal and how women took Gallentean equality at the reins when it was presented to them. So, while Gallente culture has gender equality, there still might be "differences" exhibited, such as how women are still hookers and dancers etc. All that kind of stuff. I'm terrible at articulating my thoughts...

Gallente society = Equal gender, but the distinction is made between genders.
Caldari society = Equal gender, no distinction

As an example.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2010, 12:13 »

There were snippets about things in the old character creation processes.

I'll have a look, see what I can dig up.

From http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Category:Bloodlines

Female Achur are greatly sought after as teachers and mentors. Their intense interest in the metaphysical world give them great knowledge of everything from quantum physics to the human psyche. More importantly, it gives them the patience and modesty to look beyond their own petty interests, allowing them to truly relate to others.
The Achur male is reserved in deeds and manner and is a master of disguising his own thoughts and emotions. Never rash or impulsive, he likes to meditate on every decision of importance. Compassion is not alien to him, but his tendency to look at the bigger picture makes it easier for him to sacrifice short-term gains for long-term benefits.

Brutor Females are in some ways opposites of male Brutors. They are dominant, persistent, and egocentric. Their grace and beauty serve to aid them in these matters.
Brutor Males are patient, alert, and determined. Their thoughtful and deliberate manner gives them great situational awareness.

Civire Females are not very tall, but lithe and supple. They are ardent and committed workers, never willing to give up.
Civire Males are big-boned and masculine, preferring a clean-shaven chin and closely cropped head.

Deteis Females tend to be neat and composed with a wry sense of humor and a no non-sense outlook on life.
Deteis Males are generally tall and well groomed with a fair complexion. They strike an imposing chord with their haughty, detached demeanor.

Gallente Females are considerate and kind, spirited, out-going and lively. They value self-empowerment and can be very creative and resourceful.
Gallente Males are driven and ambitious. They often act self-righteously and are generally very opinionated. They can be very courageous when they feel their way of life is threatened.

Intaki Females share much the same traits as the males; they're quiet and contemplative, moving through the world without making a ripple. Yet their contemplative manner can conjure great beauty through words and visions.
Intaki Males are methodical and reserved, never outspoken or confrontational. They enjoy sitting in quiet reflection. Intaki homes are a place of peace and tranquility.

When the Jin-Mei joined the Federation the social standings of Jin-Mei women were woefully inadequate for liberal democracy. Much has changed since then, not the least by Jin-Mei women themselves grabbing the torch of equal opportunities by both hands and carrying it forward with fervor.
The Jin-Mei male is generally carefree and good-humored, though very class conscious. He is not very curious by nature, rather favouring stability and security. Most put much stock in generating good social appearance.

The warrior lifestyle of the Khanid males from ancient times has made its mark on the Khanid society. The Khanid female is used to run the household on her own, making her independent and resourceful. Used to make her own decisions, the Khanid female lets no one domineer her and is very much the mistress of her own destiny.
Long before the Amarr Empire took to the sky the Khanid males were recognized as the best ground fighters in the Empire. During the Reclaiming Khanid warriors were at the forefront in the subjugation of the Ealurians, the Ni-Kunnis and the Minmatars. Though physical stature and bravery counts for less today, many Khanid males keep up the warrior tradition.

Females have an enticing and enchanting demeanor. Before becoming part of the Amarr Empire, the Ni-Kunnis had a polygamous society. Although this practice has long been abolished, it still lingers in relations between Ni-Kunni males and females. Beneath their meek manners Ni-Kunni women are just as smart and devious as their male counterparts.
Ni-Kunni males are sly, cunning, and unscrupulous. The only way for a Ni-Kunni male to advance up the rigid Amarrian social ladder is by amassing great wealth, so most Ni-Kunni males are very conscious of making a healthy profit, but this does not necessarily make them greedy.

Sebiestor Females are kind and considerate, but notorious for their cruel streaks. Generally loveable, they're realistic enough to take the world only at face value.
Sebiestor Males are contemplative and curious, charming and passionate. They are great tinkers, but their inquisitive nature makes them ideal for any profession when they put their mind to it.

True Amarr Females are very class conscious and formal in their dealing with others. They have strong family ties and can be very vindictive when someone harms their close ones - this vengefulness can last for generations.
Males are haughty, cruel and inflexible in their belief of their own superiority. Although this makes them difficult to deal with, it gives them decisiveness and a great sense of purpose.

Vheroikior females are renowned for their shrewd minds when it comes to business and trade. Their bartering skills are second to none and they possess exactly the right mixture of sense and intuition to excel in both commerce and industry. The Vherokiors have long since abandoned their wandering ways, instead opting for small-scale family-run businesses. These small establishments, often small canteens and bistros, are usually operated by the matriarch of the family.
The Vherokior male is small in stock, but nimble and quick footed. They possess an easy charm and are quite affable. While the tribal tattoo tradition is something shared by all Minmatars, the Vherokior male shamans have taken it to new heights. The mystical nature of the Voluval ritual, where the inner soul and karma of the person is revealed through a body tattoo, is exclusively handled by Vherokior shamans and the secrets of the rituals are only known to them.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2010, 12:40 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2010, 13:31 »

Gallente society = Equal gender, but the distinction is made between genders.

The distinction could even be "celebrated" to some extent, as long as not in a way attempting to seriously suggest overt superiority.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2010, 13:39 »

That's not too far afield from large swathes of today's Western society. That is, my personal view is that men and women have equal value as humans and can do many things just as well as the other, but not everything. Biological differences play a role, obviously.

Or, as the lolFrenchGallente stereotype might say, vive la différence!