Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: [Spoiler] TMC Article: Dust 514 Map  (Read 9064 times)

Iwan Terpalen

Re: Crashed Leviathan on Caldari Prime?
« Reply #30 on: 19 Mar 2013, 10:05 »

Maybe CCP is testing some sort of mechanic to dynamically add wrecks of various ships to battlefields.

Great news, guys! I just thought of a way to drop all of our ordnance onto the battlefield simultaneously!

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 19 Mar 2013, 11:55 »

And yes, there apparently were event servers, with events on Caldari Prime. Which, technically, does not require that they should happen on the planet when things go live.

Tbh, I'd expect something Rechard-like happen should a titan crash on a planet. With a lot more mess than that (no, 11 kilometer long metal dick dropping from an orbit doesn't just neatly stand on its tip in the sand when it falls). The Nyx hit a mere station and was obliterated. Though in this game of wacky space submarines, realism doesn't mean anything.

Vikarion

« Reply #32 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:00 »

Also, as much as I share your feelings about Heth to a degree, Vikarion, please stop speaking for the Caldari roleplay community at large.  Back in her militia days Sol was a provist, for example, who saw Heth as a war hero.  You have an OOC axe to grind with CCP, that much is clear, but you speak for yourself.  You're an asset to the community, and an iconic Caldari role player, but I chafe at being given views and opinions (in the eyes of the community through shared 'Caldariness') by someone I have barely even spoken to.

It's a fact, not an opinion, that most of the Caldari RPers do not care for Heth. I'm not speaking "for them", I'm relying on what people like Hamish, Dex, the RPers in the Fourth District, etc, have actually said. Now, you may be one of the very few Caldari RPers who just loves Heth. That's fine. But it's unreasonable to expect someone else to qualify that every time they talk about the Caldari RP scene at large.

If you can find a large proportion of Caldari RPers who do think that Heth is awesome, I will stand corrected, and will give you due respect. I have not been able to find them myself.

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #33 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:22 »

Personally I do not think 'Heth is awesome' but neither do I agree with the use of a subset of the community at large, without qualification (you just said 'most' which is a fair assessment IMO and a fair qualifier of the situation, as opposed to a blanket statement of 'Caldari Rpers think X') is unfair to any who may not have as prominent a voice in their portrayal of the RP. 

To qualify my position - Heth is something Caldari are overcoming and are currently enduring, even if the majority of us hate him, he is having some effect in unifying certain elements and entrenching others in their factionalism.  Good or bad for the RP?  Depends who you ask.  But age nor majority do not qualify a distaste or dislike as a statement of fact across a sub-group. 

It is a fact a good few people dislike he who shall not be named's influence, and I agree in many respects.  But as someone sitting in the 'Heth could have been a force for good - So I'll play this as a 'oh how the mighty have fallen' trope' camp, it is irritating to be told time and time again that 'Caldari role players' this and that. 
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2013, 12:24 by Aelisha Montenagre »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #34 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:27 »

Tbh, I'd expect something Rechard-like happen should a titan crash on a planet. With a lot more mess than that (no, 11 kilometer long metal dick dropping from an orbit doesn't just neatly stand on its tip in the sand when it falls). The Nyx hit a mere station and was obliterated. Though in this game of wacky space submarines, realism doesn't mean anything.

Rule of Awesome is strongly in force. It looks badass crashed there, towering into the sky like a huge burning metal dick. Its probably slowly crumbling and collapsing into itself as the tritanium reacts with the atmosphere and is weakened. Which will be CCPs explanation for why the map will feature it on fire for the next 4 years. Malkalen is still burning, so...
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #35 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:29 »

Rule of Awesome is strongly in force. It looks badass crashed there, towering into the sky like a huge burning metal dick. Its probably slowly crumbling and collapsing into itself as the tritanium reacts with the atmosphere and is weakened. Which will be CCPs explanation for why the map will feature it on fire for the next 4 years. Malkalen is still burning, so...

Rule of Awesome/Rule of Cool pretty much sums this up.  I don't care which nation it belongs to - a big ass ship digging a trench into continental crust is something everyone should see (from a distance)! 

Personally, I hope for some form of 'scavenging' or anti-drone pve mode to integrate battlefields with substantial portions of crashed ships to fight over in the faaaar future, but for now, burning skybox crashes are good enough.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #36 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:32 »

What I want to know is how they generated that skybox, and if they are working on a way to do it procedurally, so they can just add them in at will, perhaps even put it behind a game mechanic involving ship kills above districts or somesuch.

Imagine fighting in the piled carcasses of ships after one of those 1000 man fleet battles.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #37 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:33 »

If you can find a large proportion of Caldari RPers who do think that Heth is awesome, I will stand corrected, and will give you due respect. I have not been able to find them myself.
It's not about awesome he or not, and most probably opinion of Caldari RPers is not equal to opinion of their character.

The idea behind following Heth is being loyal to the State and citizens, following subordination and being professional.

From my humble opinion, a honorable Caldari would better end his life than rebel against his superior if he thinks that his superior is not right. And that's why i don't understand why so many peoples (caldari) icly state anti-hethist views.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #38 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:48 »

There is no honor in being silent while someone's idiocy destroys the greater good. Caldari society is supposed to be organized based on merit; if someone does not deserve their position, there is a duty for those underneath him to make their case that he or she should be replaced. Especially when that person is exercising authority that is clearly contradictory to established laws and traditions.

Desiderya

« Reply #39 on: 19 Mar 2013, 13:04 »

I echo Lithium Flower's judgement:

Saving face.
Work connections in the boardrooms, in the factory halls, on the streets to influence the situation - but don't denounce someone publically.
I can absolutely understand the anti-Heth sentiments to some degree (Although I've often got the feeling that there seems to be a metric fuckton of OOC butthurtness that sometimes seems to blend through, as in disagreeing with CCP and not disagreeing with IC entities), but I can#t understand the public statements. It's only my opinion / interpretation though ;)

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #40 on: 19 Mar 2013, 13:06 »

Pretty valid points all round in the last few points.  if anything I feel that this does nothing but justice the diverse and highly developed landscape of the rp that we, the Caldari roleplayers at large, have generate because of, and despite, one another.  Either way suits me down to the ground - conflict is every bit as beneficial as unity and I am glad to count myself bopth a staunch practical, but also a Caldari RPer in general.

RE: Saede - Procedural generation is something that would be very interesting to see - especially if the intensity of a private conflict over resources were to show similar signs of serious ecospheric damage and ship crashes as the casualties mount up on both ends. 

Exciting times.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #41 on: 19 Mar 2013, 13:13 »

There is no honor in being silent while someone's idiocy destroys the greater good. Caldari society is supposed to be organized based on merit; if someone does not deserve their position, there is a duty for those underneath him to make their case that he or she should be replaced. Especially when that person is exercising authority that is clearly contradictory to established laws and traditions.
The problem is, that Caldari society is based on merit only because of Heth. Before Heth, it was based on nepotism. Besides, from regular Caldari citizen's point of view, Heth made life better.
So, what exactly is this "greater good", that his "idiocy" destroys, eh?

Vincent Pryce

Re: Crashed Leviathan on Caldari Prime
« Reply #42 on: 19 Mar 2013, 13:18 »

It's just CCP railroading the Caldari to lose. Again. It doesn't matter what we actually do in the game, the Caldari are almost certainly going to lose Caldari Prime.

Provide examples of all the times the Caldari has been railroaded into losing?

Either that or stop complaining.

I've done so on this site.

For example:

First major taking of territory in FW: the Caldari take a bunch of systems. No ill effects for the Gallente.

The Gallente take a bunch of systems (the FOOM push): CCP writes that they conduct a scorched earth campaign, wrecking Black Rise.

The Caldari FWers take all systems and hold them for 6-8 months: The Caldari corporations make an unbelievably stupid decision and move into Placid with tons of infrastructure and investments. No "scorched earth" policy here, nu-uh. The instant they lose those systems, the State is in a recession again. The Gallente, on the other hand, suffer nothing but getting a new and much more awesome president.

Eventually the Gallente take all Caldari systems for several hours. Tibus Heth starts a civil war in the State. along with a lot more crap.

Then the Caldari retake most of Black Rise and a good chunk of Placid. So Heth cancels the Blind Auction, crippling the Megas even more, and the Gallente start retaking Caldari Prime.

And that's just FW.

EDIT: I mean, seriously, the Gallente got a new and much better leader when the Caldari took all Gallente systems. What did we get? We had Heth, possibly the character that Caldari RPers hate the most, survive an assassination attempt.

You've made your contempt for the current course of Caldari story quite clear. I sometimes wonder do you pause to see the moments where Caldari are actually portrayed as decent folk and not nazi jackboots. I'll give you a few examples;

Feds burn Black Rise ok... They prove to be the villain here. In this particular case very clearly too.
Caldari don't do that. Making them have the moral high ground in the war, and earning them good guy points.

Feds have drug crazed convicts approved as ground troops who fucking shit up in multitude of ways.
Caldari don't. They have professional military folks and mercenaries who either don't do that, or do that on such a small scale that it's not even a blip on the radar. Thus again making them better of two evils in the war.

In regards to how the two entities are portrayed Caldari do have in this matter the good guy badge. Sure they they shot first but the following conduct of war quite shows the Caldari coming out ahead morally if not financially internal politics aside.

Right back to the topic. Caldari are quickly heading down the road to civil unrest if not war. When they start to struggle internally, it would no surprise that they could not support the supply lines and effort to keep Caldari Prime under their yoke. They're stretching their limits as they are as mentioned in TBL. So if the Leviathan does indeed get nuked, it shouldn't come as any surprise.

Vikarion

« Reply #43 on: 19 Mar 2013, 13:50 »

The problem is, that Caldari society is based on merit only because of Heth. Before Heth, it was based on nepotism. Besides, from regular Caldari citizen's point of view, Heth made life better.
So, what exactly is this "greater good", that his "idiocy" destroys, eh?

Almost all the Caldari PF had the Caldari State as a meritocracy. It wasn't until TonyG with TEA that we heard anything about nepotism being a major force in Caldari society. The disconnect between pre-TonyG PF and post-TEA pf in regards to Caldari life is so large it's like the faction was completely rethought.

As for the Caldari being completely subservient to authority, I don't know where people get that. The Caldari are honorable, not obedient. These are the same people who fought a century long war of rebellion, killed their opponents within their own ranks (morning of reasoning) and even had a heritage in the Civire bloodline (IIRC) of "dissenters" - people who wanted to change facets of the State. The Caldari State is not Japan.

Desiderya

« Reply #44 on: 19 Mar 2013, 13:58 »

That's the dichotomy of being caldari, I guess. You've got the themes 'Ruthless in business' and being self-sacrificing for their group. These are clashing in so many possible ways that you can't make swiping statements that easy. Of course a meritocracy will have problems with nepotism and corruption. If you take TEA with a grain of salt you could interprete that this threatens the meritocracy and you've got a worker movement (Dissenters anyone?) that wants to change that for the betterment of (caldari) society.

On the opposing side you've got the federation as the beacon of liberty and hope, as illustrated so graciously by Vincent Pryce. They're getting the share of "Nice ideals, but fucked up realities", too. You can't have your cake and eat it, too, after all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8