Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When EVE first launched, the highest and most dangerous NPC imaginable was a 50k Cruiser?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WTR's Future  (Read 3248 times)

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
WTR's Future
« on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:21 »

So, after giving it some thought, I may dissolve WTR before it gets going and simply sign on with DUTY. While, from a purely RP perspective, there are aspects of DUTY that would keep Mal at bay, from an OOC perspective, trying to divide the bloc is counter-productive, especially since most of the founding members of DUTY are former WHG.

Perhaps having Mal take issue with some of the aspects of DUTY (in time) would be a good internal RP source anyway.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2013, 20:32 by Silver Night »
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Vincent Pryce

So, after giving it some thought, I may dissolve WTR before it gets going and simply sign on with DUTY. While, from a purely RP perspective, there are aspects of DUTY that would keep Mal at bay, from an OOC perspective, trying to divide the bloc is counter-productive, especially since most of the founding members of DUTY are former WHG.

Perhaps having Mal take issue with some of the aspects of DUTY (in time) would be a good internal RP source anyway.

Nuu, diversity of the blocs was once a richness not counter-productive. The thing that made EVE RP once so special, but that is a topic of it's own and not for cluttering up other peoples recruitment threads.

However, wanting a good group to fly with from an OOC perspective, especially with friends, I can sympathize your feelings and it's nice to see RP-PVP corps grow :3

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette

Nuu, diversity of the blocs was once a richness not counter-productive. The thing that made EVE RP once so special, but that is a topic of it's own and not for cluttering up other peoples recruitment threads.

Mm, good point. I hadn't thought of that when I posted originally. Can I get a moderator to move this post, Pryce's response and my original post out of this thread so as not to take away from the relevant discussion? I apologize for the trouble.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Lyn Farel

If I may bring my own advice...

1) Don't make unconsiderate decisions. You already posted an IGS announcement and since you already have done similar things in the past (opening something to quit shortly after) it could be a bad thing OOCly, I think.

2) It is true that two corps, if they share the same core gameplay or RP (or both) will step on each other feet when it comes to recruiting. It is also true that the Caldari RP scene is not especially lacking of caldari RPers these days, so... vOv

3) Vince said that diversity is good for RP and conflict. It's really true (and that's why RP went poorer with TEA when they removed the sub factionnal conflicts). Well, it is true when you can afford it as a faction and if you have the right pool of RPers.

4) I do not especially see having different opinions and mindset being an issue when joining a corp. Actually it can bring a lot of RP internal conflict (of course you will have to keep a certain balance to avoid drama going out of control ICly). Aldrith did it with PIE recently, I have done it several times also, from amarrian entities to gallente loyalists, so... It does not end well ICly each time though, be warned. :p

Well, that's from my own experience on the matter anyway.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette

1) Don't make unconsiderate decisions. You already posted an IGS announcement and since you already have done similar things in the past (opening something to quit shortly after) it could be a bad thing OOCly, I think.

All of your points are pretty solid advice, so I appreciate your input. I would touch on this one, however. I started two projects: Wiyrkomi Honor Guard and the Order of Light's Retribution. Order of Light's Retribution was cancelled for the same reason that I left Wiyrkomi Honor Guard, I was undergoing a situation in which my father unexpectedly committed suicide and I pretty much was unable to maintain emotional stability, let alone run anything in EVE.

While I understand this can give the perception that I started and quit, I would hope that anyone with any idea of what happened would be understanding.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain

The only thing I would point out is that both groups will be recruiting from the pool of Eve Players / Roleplayers / Caldari / Loyalist / Faction War.

That's quite the sub-sub-subset.

Lyn Farel

All of your points are pretty solid advice, so I appreciate your input. I would touch on this one, however. I started two projects: Wiyrkomi Honor Guard and the Order of Light's Retribution. Order of Light's Retribution was cancelled for the same reason that I left Wiyrkomi Honor Guard, I was undergoing a situation in which my father unexpectedly committed suicide and I pretty much was unable to maintain emotional stability, let alone run anything in EVE.

While I understand this can give the perception that I started and quit, I would hope that anyone with any idea of what happened would be understanding.

Not saying the contrary and definitly understanding myself. It's mostly a matter of image, or how things are percieved, at least unconsciously.

I know what happened because I read these forums.

A lot of people do not, however. Either by ignorance or just unconsciously, they will think "I do not want to engage myself in something that might collapse the day after". So, either close it now before it starts to grow rather than closing it a few weeks/months after, thus limiting the potential damage. Or either keep it up for more time if you think it is going to work.

Well, that's how I would think about it, and I know it is not always easy.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

[mod]Split. Let me know if you need a hand changing the title or anything.[/mod]

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
Re: WTR's Future
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2013, 20:47 »

Thank you Silver.

WTR is still a "go," I decided that RP would work well with keeping it around and I've been working on recruiting ads and eventually opening WTR up. I've had a few people voice interest in joining and apparently Malcolm maintains a bit more face than I suspected he held, so that's encouraging. :D

But yeah, WTR is still a go and I'm looking forward to seeing it grow even if it's slowly. I will always favor quality over quantity.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2013, 20:57 »

You could bring WTR into the alliance. Both entities are patriotic in alignment they just (to me) seem to have different views on how to do things so no matter who wins recruits corp wise the whole is strengthened and you can have some internal struggles/debates about how to do things etc to boot.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2013, 21:24 »

And even if you don't join the alliance, you can organize joined ops and fly together, thus reducing the limitation effects that recruitment of the same sub-set has. So go for it, you can always join Duty later on!

Gesakaarin

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2013, 22:04 »

You could bring WTR into the alliance. Both entities are patriotic in alignment they just (to me) seem to have different views on how to do things so no matter who wins recruits corp wise the whole is strengthened and you can have some internal struggles/debates about how to do things etc to boot.

Pyre Falcon is a Kaalakiota Loyalist organization and it was intended as a vehicle to explore the particular culture, philosophy and operational ethos of Kaalakiota as a whole. There remains, even sans Heth, noticeable if subtle differences between how Kaalakiota generally operates from Wiyrkomi -- in short, you don't get to be top dog in the State as KK without a willingness to play corporate realpolitik better than all your rivals.

The reason why Oiritsuu and Heth, I think, would have been backed to some degree by their peers in Kaalakiota is because they promised what the majority of KK citizens want -- strength and power -- in their own ways. It's not particularly for its own sake, but rather because of history and tradition behind the company: Kaalakiota is the biggest, the best, the most powerful, the holders of the legacy of Sobaseki, the true bearers of the Caldari vision, the guardians of the State. It's a combination of nationalism, patriotism, corporate pride, ruthlessness, pragmatism and cynicism that drives Kaalakiota in my mind perhaps with Heth indicative more of the former and Oiritsuu more of the latter.

What this means for Pyre Falcon is that if a plan can be framed in a patriotic context of, "Serving the interests of Kaalakiota Corporation and the Caldari State," then the question of, "How do we proceed with the plan?" Will be responded with: By whatever means necessary.

How I've viewed Wiyrkomi doing business tends to be far less ambitious perhaps, centered on more conservative and cautious business practices and the latent but strong cultural elements of being what continues to be traditional Caldari family owned enterprise - and everything that goes with that.

Besides the point of course that I think from an RP perspective, it's far more interesting to see the creation of identities along, "Kaalakiota Patriot," "Wiyrkomi Patriot," and, "Lai Dai Patriot" which leads to more attention being paid to the different culture, history and outlook of each Mega itself than just a homogenization as, "Patriots".

In this, I think the WTR is a good thing, because it has the potential to explore what it means to be loyal to Wiyrkomi first and foremost. Besides it's not like we're not going to be in the same neighbourhood if you want to fly together and shoot Feds, or just RP with the people in Pyre Falcon.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2013, 22:42 »

Way to go Gesakaarin, you summed up rather adequately precisely why I didn't want Malcolm to join Pyre Falcon. I try to show Wiyrkomi through Malcolm: cautious, calculated and specialized with patriotism and national pride sprinkled in.

It's why I've chosen to keep Malcolm tied to Wiyrkomi clearly and tried to be a slightly different "patriot" than most other patriots, I'm not sure if it's working but I certainly hope it is.

I already fly with and RP with the Pyre Falcon guys pretty regularly so it's not like I'm missing out. :)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2013, 22:48 »

I wonder what the relationship between Hyasyoda and Wiyrkomi is like, since they are the two most 'traditional' Megas, and also both run by mostly single families (even if they are in different 'blocs', but I feel like Patriot/Liberal/Practical might be given more weight than it should be when determining inter-corporate relationships.)

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2013, 22:54 »

From everything I've seen, Hyasyoda and Wiyrkomi likely have a pretty solid working relationship. They're very similar corporations in the way they are set up and run, the primary difference between them being foreign policy (Patriot vs Liberal) and perhaps some minor disagreement over internal policies which would be worked out through the CEP (ideally).

Pages: [1] 2