Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hared Loudier is a former Quafe employee who once claimed an entire stockpile of Quafe beverages vanished through a wormhole before his eyes.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bedfellows With Enemies? (Gallente/Caldari Discussion)  (Read 7734 times)

Anslol

Alright, I'm going to preface this with acknowledging that, ICly, Caldari and Gallente are at each other's throats and that any kind of alliance is a fleeting hope at BEST. But I still want to at least launch a discussion on this idea as I see dots connecting that may or may not be a sort of call for players to further drive the story through RP and in-space action.

I'm going to summarize the current situation of both Empire's before explaining my position on the situation at hand. Namely, could things be moving in such a way that the Caldari and Gallente may find a common ground to fight together as partners?

The State:
The Provists and CPD have been overstepping their bounds left and right, effectively stamping on the time honored traditions of the State and simply defying how things are run the Caldari way. Similar to how the Federation attempted to force the Caldari into submission with their political system and policies, so now does the CPD seem to be forcing a change in the State from an efficient and strong meritocracy, to a dictatorship that may force the State into civil war. In the meantime, The Great Overlord Tibus Heth is clearly not in a stable state of mind and is as racist against the Gallente as ever. Sure, harboring anger towards the Gallente for what they did and continue to do is understandable, but the outright terroristic extremism of Heth doesn't exactly help justify his feelings or actions.

The Federation:
A number of rumors had surfaced before the recent high-profile spats of Blaque Eagle operations regarding mistreatment of Minmatar people living in the Federation due to their being an "economic drain" on society. This despite the fact that the Federation and Minmatar have long been allies. Now it seems a rather xenophobic state of mind is beginning to rear its ugly head. After that, we see a number of public Blaque Eagle operations against an individual who was arrested. I am unsure if he was released. Top that off with media blackouts and propaganda being churned out laced with acidic anti-Caldari sentiment from "The People's Hero" Mentas Blaque, making a sensitive situation worse. He intentionally goads Blauqe on despite the current situation, as if daring him to shoot Caldari Prime. Even Roden said Blaque should be minding his own gods damn business.

So here is what I see: Two Empires being driven further and further into a war (by super nationalist/xenophobic organizations) that really does not need to happen and which could be solved via simply sitting down with two level heads, acknowledging the wrongs that have happened, and WANTING to start a new. From what I've seen, interacted with, and by some inference, many citizens from both sides are eh about a full scale war. Yes the Caldari are happy they got Home back, but at what cost? How much further must this go? How much further must Heth overreach before enough is enough?

The same for the Federation. Why are we pushing the Caldari so much? Why are we obsessed over punishing them for reacting to how poorly we treated them? Why are we not being a force for peace instead of hypocritical warmongers?

From what I see, there are two parties within both Empires specifically and continually pushing for war. A war that citizens and some capsuleers on either side just don't want anymore. Not ALL mind you, but some. Some would like to see a truce happen and negotiations occur. But with the CPD and Blaque Eagles touting the party line and villainizing the other side (and controlling all the assets to continue the war), the voice of the people seems to have vanished (in some cases literally, i.e. the chronicle where the teacher empathetic to the Caldari gets picked up by the Eagles).

So here's my question. Given these situations, would it be possible for players to drive the story arc for both Empire's parallel by both sides pushing out their respective belligerent organizations? Some Federal and State forces working together to stop both the CPD and Blaque, give them back their home, and just end the war?

I'm not trying to see things with rose colored glasses, but I am trying to see if both Arcs could be pushed this way by players. What do you all think?
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2013, 09:55 by Anslol »

Hamish Grayson

Re: Bedfellows With Enemies? (Gallente/Caldari Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2013, 10:39 »

FYI: offering to work together with their enemies as a way conquering them with cultural imperialism where straight up violence fails is a time honored Gallente tradition.   

Anslol

« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2013, 10:44 »

That's not what I was suggesting in the slightest. If the point was to just conquer the State, why not let them be and attack when they're weakest?

The point was to push our the racist groups pushing both sides to war, and have new, more level headed parties leading each Empire broker a peace deal.

It has nothing to do with sending them Quafe and Gallente Sports Illustrated Magazines to saturate them with Federal culture.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2013, 10:49 »

* Hamish Grayson takes a sip of quafe>
"No seriously guys, this time we mean it. Like, peace man, totally.  Not like that one time we just wanted you to give us capsuleer tech or that other time when we made you agree to do all the work and then give us the benifits of tech 2.  I mean we didn't want the State to be the only ones with Tech 2 armed Capsuleers.  But this time we just want peace.  By the way have you seen the latest holoreels from Villore?"
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2013, 10:56 by Hamish Grayson »

Anslol

« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2013, 10:52 »

Right, anyone have anything a bit more constructive to add?

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #5 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:01 »

Why in the world would you want peace in your videogame?
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #6 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:03 »

I-RED has worked with Feds in the past.   They lost a lot of street credit though.

Anslol

« Reply #7 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:05 »

Because the war currently has no point, as mentioned in multiple posts throughout backstage and probably the sentiment of other players. I mean what's going to happen, the war goes on til the server closes? A never-ending war because Heth got lucky with e-magic?

Also just because one story closes does not mean another story can't take its place. I just wanted to see other people's thoughts on my understand of the current situation and if the above described arc is how they could perceive events happening.

"No seriously guys, this time we mean it. Like, peace man, totally.  Not like that one time we just wanted you to give us capsuleer tech or that other time when we made you agree to do all the work and then give us the benifits of tech 2.  I mean we didn't want the State to be the only ones with Tech 2 armed Capsuleers.  But this time we just want peace.  By the way have you seen the latest holoreels from Villore?"

Which all happened 100+ years ago under a highly idiotic and very nationalistic government. Hence when I said more level headed leaders take the reigns after the people tear down the xenophobic warlords of their respective home Empires.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2013, 11:06 by Anslol »

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #8 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:09 »

I gave you my thoughts:  the Caldari aren't going to go for it because the Gallente have made such offers in the past that turned out to be tricks.   I guess you only want thoughts that support your idea.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #9 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:10 »

It's a game mechanic now.  Welcome to the hell we get from incursions.  It is never going away, no matter how much roleplayers might want it to.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #10 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:10 »

Which all happened 100+ years ago

False.

Anslol

« Reply #11 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:23 »

I gave you my thoughts:  the Caldari aren't going to go for it because the Gallente have made such offers in the past that turned out to be tricks.   I guess you only want thoughts that support your idea.

No I wanted constructive criticism such as you gave here until your last statement. You were simply providing sarcastic jabs which doesn't help a thing.

But given the current situation faced by both Empires as highlighted above, do you feel they're really isn't some kind of serious commonality that can be felt by, not government officials, but the people.

At least to me, the way both arcs are progressing, it seems like the two Empires see they have something in common i.e. the forces pushing the two into full scale war.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #12 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:27 »

I thought I was being blunt, not sarcastic.  If it's advice you want: do your anti-war thing within the Federation but don't poke your nose into Caldari business and expect it to be a plesant experience.   I'm the polite, diplomatic one.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2013, 11:32 by Hamish Grayson »

Anslol

« Reply #13 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:30 »

I thought I was being blunt, not sarcastic.

I apologize, but you came off incredibly sarcastic and blockading the mere thought of the possibility.

Let's start over. My purpose in this thread is to determine whether some in the RP community see the current situation as I do and that there is a possibility for us to really influence the story. One Caldari RP'er started a riot and fought the CPD. Just one.

What could a few RP'ers do in terms of how the war plays out or ends? I'm not saying it would be easy given Gallentean stupidity, but I just want to know if anyone else is seeing these arcs evolve into one big potential for a game changing story?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #14 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:35 »

There has been murmurs about ending the Faction War / Incursion, but unfortunately that is a business suicide maneuver at present. Faction War is a big feature for a lot of players in low security, and Incursion has fallen in line with farming venues quite well. Effectively removing or disabling them will anger the wider community than it would improve it.

If, however, a storyline change could lead into new mechanics that effectively replace these features - then we might see a story evolution.  A second iteration on both that gives them a new body and functionality while evolving the political landscape. I think perhaps the goal you want would be better received if you can find a means of selling it to a lot of players - not just story minded ones.

Otherwise,

It's a game mechanic now.  Welcome to the hell we get from incursions.  It is never going away, no matter how much roleplayers might want it to.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation
Pages: [1] 2 3