Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When level 4s first came out, they used the Belt NPCs and not the lesser Complex NPCs?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Ship Spinning Achievement Unlocked!  (Read 4346 times)

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
Ship Spinning Achievement Unlocked!
« on: 06 Mar 2013, 15:24 »

One other thing to consider - our characters are fairly young, on the whole, probably 18-30 in the majority.  Add in vast power and wealth afforded to them by capsuleer status (and fan clubs?), mix it with poor impulse control, and the fact that we're not throwing drunk debaucheries on a nightly basis astounds me.  EVE: Frat House Edition.

You obviously haven't  come into contact with PIE yet  :lol:

It's hard to come in contact with PIE when certain members never undock... (coughArchbishopcough)
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2013, 19:46 by Ciarente »

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
Re: Re:
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2013, 15:27 »

One other thing to consider - our characters are fairly young, on the whole, probably 18-30 in the majority.  Add in vast power and wealth afforded to them by capsuleer status (and fan clubs?), mix it with poor impulse control, and the fact that we're not throwing drunk debaucheries on a nightly basis astounds me.  EVE: Frat House Edition.

It's hard to come in contact with PIE when certain members never undock... (coughArchbishopcough)
And the chances of that happening in the future are about nil as he's been basically retired for about two years now.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2013, 16:57 »

A bit off-topic and a bit on-topic, since it's sort of the same idea of "painting with the same brush". But I really don't get these kind of comments, no matter what corp they're targeting. People seem to equate "inactivity" with "not undocking", and that that's somehow a bad thing. People have real lives to worry about, afterall.

And there's plenty of character types who don't often have any reason to undock. EVE is a sandbox, a portion of the game is done solely from the hangar. So I really don't get the purpose behind comments like that.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #3 on: 06 Mar 2013, 17:15 »

A bit off-topic and a bit on-topic, since it's sort of the same idea of "painting with the same brush". But I really don't get these kind of comments, no matter what corp they're targeting. People seem to equate "inactivity" with "not undocking", and that that's somehow a bad thing. People have real lives to worry about, afterall.

And there's plenty of character types who don't often have any reason to undock. EVE is a sandbox, a portion of the game is done solely from the hangar. So I really don't get the purpose behind comments like that.

As much as I'd like to comment on that too, it is indeed off topic. I'd prefer if another thread was started for that.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
Re: Ship Shipping Achievement Unlocked!
« Reply #4 on: 06 Mar 2013, 19:23 »

[mod]Topic split as per request[/mod]
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
Re: Ship Shipping Achievement Unlocked!
« Reply #5 on: 06 Mar 2013, 19:45 »

Now that the thread is split, I'll point out that it is something of a meme for people to point out that others 'don't undock'. There are a few specific cases when an organization actually purposefully decides to not undock for one reason or another, but more often than not... people just claim that 'people don't undock' because they can't get the fights they prefer out of said targets

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
Re: Ship Spinning Achievement Unlocked!
« Reply #6 on: 06 Mar 2013, 20:48 »

Yeah, it's the bullies' way of saying "not fair, let me bully you!" or something like that. :D

And we undock, you can check, I lost a ship today while leading a fleet of seven pilots. So I think that claim on PIE (which I've heard way too often) is wrong. As is, probably, on most corporations it's used against.

Problem here is that Sakura is a "space lesbian", and that twists her mind! ;)

And yes, before you flame me for moderating or anything, I wasn't saying "space lesbian" for real, it was a bad pun because that's where this topic originated. And to stablish a paralelism in both claims being actually quite empty.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 07 Mar 2013, 00:23 »

I-RED has a recently gained reputation for 'not undocking' for a very specific incident. When Rote Kapelle came down to our pocket, the fight quickly turned into a mudslinging contest. It was all sorts of ugly, and eventually even John got his RL picture posted on FHC to be made fun of.

In the middle of this conflict, John decided to start a campaign I believe was specifically designed to piss off Rote Kapelle: "Operation Blueball"

As far as I know, Rote has only one thing that ticks them off more than anything... and that's not getting a fight. So since they were set on trying to upset us, I believe John decided to upset them by refusing to fight them at all, nevermind on their terms. Generally speaking, it seems to have worked. They were (and are) very upset, and now I-RED has an amusing reputation for never undocking.

Sometimes staying docked up is used as a form of attack, not just a way of avoiding fights. Sometimes, accusations that 'these people never undock' is true in some way, though rarely is it a permanent state of affairs.

Note: I was not there for any of that campaign. This is not to be taken as completely factual and accurate... it's just how I perceived things to be.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #8 on: 07 Mar 2013, 03:21 »

Funny how this post wasn't moderated, oh well so much for 'unbiased' moderation.  :|

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #9 on: 07 Mar 2013, 05:41 »

eventually even John got his RL picture posted on FHC to be made fun of.

Man that is fucking weaksauce and fail. :ugh:

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #10 on: 07 Mar 2013, 05:50 »

Just a note, a lot of your more experienced corporations have specific SOPs that state no one is to undock under certain conditions. For example, EVE University specifically states that its members do not undock without having met certain requirements during war time.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Zakar Shazih

« Reply #11 on: 07 Mar 2013, 06:21 »

and eventually even John got his RL picture posted on FHC to be made fun of.

That's pretty sad but I guess not surprising given many of the Eve player base mindset.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 07 Mar 2013, 07:58 »

I-RED has a recently gained reputation for 'not undocking' for a very specific incident. [...]

Sometimes staying docked up is used as a form of attack, not just a way of avoiding fights. Sometimes, accusations that 'these people never undock' is true in some way, though rarely is it a permanent state of affairs.
[...]
+1

I think this sounds very accurate. When I had my own little corp, we got wardecced a few times by what I'd call professional high-sec trolls. (And I know that there are people that wardec in highsec just for the lulz, picking only on weaker targets, effectively and explicitly meaning to troll.) The most effective strategy against them was and still is (unless you have access to superior firepower) just to stay in, not undock and denying them their fights. As there were no OOC or IC reasons to fight them and nothing to gain by it for us, so we did. The wars were usually over in a matter of days, the trolls leaving for other targets.

There is nothing shameful about 'blueballing' the opponent in a conflict. It's only showing that ones brain is not subservient to ones brawn and/or e-peen. In my opinion I-RED couldn't have made a better decision in that case. I think there's a reason why many experienced corps, as Art points out, have SOPs that include conditions under which not to undock.

It's also why I can't feel offended by someone saying that my corp never undocks, because one specific, retired member doesn't. Which, by the way, doesn't mean that PIE doesn't undock. We do, though I -personally- had little time for it recently.

All that said, I salute I-RED for that clever and prudent move. And I'd suggest those that are honestly complaining that they can't get into contact with PIE to either join our public channel, look out for those PIE members that frequent the summit - or, in the case of our opponents, not to waste locator agents on the retired members, but use those to get a hold of our active ones. I'm sure we have members who're happy to provide a fight.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #13 on: 07 Mar 2013, 08:55 »

In PIE's case, it's more a reference to how the corp basically came across as being in a coma aside from IGS posting until Mitara took over.

Personal experience here: in a year and a half of screwing around in FW space as a pirate, I saw PIE pilots in space maybe a handful of times. I was down that way regularly, several times a week at all hours of the day and night (because lawl college sleep schedules). Maybe it's an outlier, like having only been jammed by ECM drones a grand total of twice (no joke) in two years of piracy, but when you go down to the warzone day in and day out, and never see people from a corp when you know full well they're supposed to be operating in that area, what else are you supposed to think?

And no, there isn't anything shameful about blueballing an opponent. In fact it's the best tactic imo, because the ones seeking tears end up being the ones whose tears fill the jars instead.

Archbishop was a poor example for Sakura to use, I'll give you that, but that doesn't do much to dismiss the reputation PIE accumulated among some groups as never undocking and rarely doing little more than IGS-warrioring for a while. The fact that PIE was largely an insular group rarely interacting with other parts of the RP community for much of that time didn't do much to help either. I remember when seeing a PIE member in an RP channel, whether it was the Summit, OOC, or one of the non-pirate bars or establishments, was as rare as an Alliance Tournament prize ship.

I've had enough fun RP with members of PIE (well, *I* think it was fun) that I vastly prefer this state of things where the corp is less insular and actually sticks its head out of the cave to ask a neighbor what the weather's like.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #14 on: 07 Mar 2013, 09:32 »

In PIE's case, it's more a reference to how the corp basically came across as being in a coma aside from IGS posting until Mitara took over.

Yeah, I heard of this time when PIE was mostly dead. :(

I've had enough fun RP with members of PIE (well, *I* think it was fun) that I vastly prefer this state of things where the corp is less insular and actually sticks its head out of the cave to ask a neighbor what the weather's like.

Yup, interaction with other corps/pilots is always an interesting way to develop your RP outside RPing with others which have a similair mindset. And I believe it's the best way to develop a character in a deep and full way.

As for blueballing, I agree completely. When I was in the OQ, we did receive a wardec from a much bigger mercenary corp, and we were going to blueball them while we arranged for support to come. They dropped their wardec the first day we actually undocked and went to meet them with our allies (PIE, AM, etc.), and they were the ones that docked. Loved the irony of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4