Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front used local civilian employees in its orbital production facility known as Prosperity Station? Read more about it here

Author Topic: Caldari/Napanii Flower names  (Read 547 times)

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
Caldari/Napanii Flower names
« on: 04 Mar 2013, 03:21 »

I am fairly terribad at linguistic things, however, I am nonetheless foolishly attempting to write a story in which linguistic stuff features.

Therefore! I am appealing for help!

Basically the story involves a great number of flowers, and while I plan on using made-up 'common' names for some of them (such as redbell, or moonblossom, or somesuch) I would also like to toss in some Napanii names (the POV character is Caldari). However, if I try to make them up myself I am quietly confident I will accidentally chose a combination of syllables that is utterly ridiculous to players with a better knowledge of Napanii, or indeed Finish/Japanese, than me (remember, I accidentally named an alt 'Haddock').

So any suggestions that I can appropriate, gratefully received. You don't need to try and describe the flowers, or what they might stand for, if you don't want to, but if you do want to, go for it!
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
Re: Caldari/Napanii Flower names
« Reply #1 on: 04 Mar 2013, 05:15 »

*digs a couple out of the sandbox*

kukia kurin (a.k.a. Miesian iris) - a brief-flowering annual native to Caldari Prime's equatorial regions which turned into an invasive self-sowing perennial on Lutesse (Mies III). It was subsequently successfully exported to the State. It's a mildly fragrant pink, purple, white or yellow flowered 'weeping bell' lily with either dark gray or black spotting. Edible varieties are small, with leaves and flowers that are used in salads, and large starchy roots that are ground up for flour.   Ornamental varieties are non-fragrant, can be quite large, and come in a wider variety of colors (magenta, orange, et cetera) and with or without spots.  The flower's based on the Japanese katakuri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythronium_japonicum) and the American (http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ERAM5) and European dogtooth violet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythronium_dens-canis).   

Your 'redbell' could be another name for faureaux.  The scarlet and gold faureaux (a.k.a. Intaki shurubnh-juqektak "devil's cup") was originally a hardy flowering weed indigenous to Eletta III, and came to be cultivated as an ornamental plant throughout the Federation.

« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2013, 05:21 by Vieve »