Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that non-capsuleer viewership of the Intergalactic Summit reaches into the hundreds of millions and vehement debates rage within planetary communities based on the positions espoused there by capsuleers.

Author Topic: Hand of Glory: Amarrian "hard" combat style  (Read 1245 times)

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
Hand of Glory: Amarrian "hard" combat style
« on: 05 Mar 2013, 03:09 »

Hand of Glory is a combat form that has enjoyed some small return to popularity since the Minmatar rebellion. Kept alive by hardline religious cults and some rare holder lines during times of peace. Hand of Glory traces it's founding to the times of the original Sabik schism and even today some Blood Raiders are suggested to practice the style. Confrontations between Amarrian and Raider masters of the style have sometimes resulted in legendary stories.

Practitioners train daily seeking to harden certain parts of the body as well as to increase the pain tolerance in general. Sparring and similar "half-measures" are spurned with duels between the practitioners often resulting in knockouts or one or the other yielding due to being physically unable to continue. Deaths are a possible occurrence.

Hand of Glory is a pure hand-to-hand combat style forged with the specific assumption that the need to draw upon the style  means you are on killing ground where failure to render opposition incapable of continuing the conflict will result in the practicioners death. While the style includes joint locks and throws with some advanced circular movement stances it is most recognizable for it's finger tip strikes and gouges. Any locks or throws will seek to cause permanent harm by either breaking a joint or causing the opponent to land 'badly'.

Most common stances focus on stability and ease of movement with kicks being rare in general and most often used to "open" the opponent for strikes to torso or head.

Practitioners in social position to do so have been known to practice the style, especially strikes and gouges, on prisoners and criminals sentenced to death. Those with no access to humans or bodies will train on animals and carcasses instead to perfect and test the forms.

Thanks for inspiration and impetus to write up go to Nicoletta Mithras Amarrian Martial arts style. http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=4258.0
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Hand of Glory: Amarrian "hard" combat style
« Reply #1 on: 05 Mar 2013, 04:03 »

The Amarrians are Patrick Swayze fans?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Chell Charon

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 05 Mar 2013, 07:50 »

The Amarrians are Patrick Swayze fans?
Whut?

But if this is a request for me to show my work. Sure.   8)
Name comes from the intended focus on hand techniques. The direct reference for those of occult bend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_glory

Also(!) for us nerdy types:
*Hand of Glory was an attack used by Hela against Thor in a marvel comic once upon a time.
*D&D 3.0 (If memory serves) included a talisman/amulet called hand of glory which gave access to a third ring. (Original recipe required mummified hand of a mage).

As for the combat style itself and ideas behind that:
*Focus on hand to hand only and hand techniques specifically comes from european boxing where legs provide mobility and strength to strikes. (Footwork) I expanded and moved away from fist punches to include most, if not all, methods of striking with a hand. ref.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_(attack)

*Various fingertip strikes and couges are intended as something easily recognizable to anyone that has some familiarity with Amarrian styles while not actually being all of the style. Same way Muay Thai (for instance) is easily recognizable for the knee strikes and elbows while containing several other strikes.

*Comment about testing the style on humans/animals and bodies thereof was lifted of stories of Samurais and Katana practice. I suspect Amarr are about the only society (of Concord signatories) where it is at any level a feasible (and legal) practice.
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2013, 07:54 by Chell Charon »

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 05 Mar 2013, 08:11 »

It's been nicked "Hand of Gory" by practitioners of more civilized martial arts, like Destrasaj. ;P

Chell Charon

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 05 Mar 2013, 08:17 »

It's been nicked "Hand of Gory" by practitioners of more civilized martial arts, like Destrasaj. ;P
Less effective martial arts, you mean?
 I can live with that  :twisted:

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 05 Mar 2013, 09:14 »

Only the brute thinks that parsimony in bloodshed is inefficient. 8)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 05 Mar 2013, 10:39 »

Sorry, might be an outdated thing for you.

In Roadhouse Patrick Swayze goes all kung fu like and rips out another guys throat.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 Mar 2013, 17:45 »

Sorry, might be an outdated thing for you.

In Roadhouse Patrick Swayze goes all kung fu like and rips out another guys throat.

Yup. Except as I recall what he is actually using there is Tai Chi.

I always liked the Sam Elliott character myself "I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead."
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 05 Mar 2013, 18:44 »

I think it was Hung Gar.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 Mar 2013, 13:49 »

I think it was Hung Gar.

I'm quite happy to take your word for it. I do find this Hand of Glory style an interesting addition. Also the whole "sparring is for wimps" attitude seems appropriately Sani Sabik to me.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.