Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aldrith Shutaq was once court poet and author in the service of the Etranhi Holders on Mishi IV? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [FITTING] Caldari Navy Hookbill  (Read 14738 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
[FITTING] Caldari Navy Hookbill
« on: 01 Mar 2013, 17:55 »

The fit I'm going to put up here first isn't particularly cheap, and neither is it easy to fit without extremely good fitting skills.

Code: [Select]
[Caldari Navy Hookbill, 10mn]

Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

10MN Afterburner II
Faint Warp Disruptor I
Caldari Navy Stasis Webifier
Balmer Series Tracking Disruptor I, Tracking Speed Disruption Script
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 50

Rocket Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Rocket

Small Ancillary Current Router II
Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Ancillary Current Router I
Requires 2% cpu implant at max skills. This can be removed if you start putting out for a particular brand of faction point (the 150m+ brand).

111dps unheated, 2576m/s unheated, 3618m/s heated. No links or snakes. 111dps unheated, 130dps heated. 134dps unheated with rage, 157dps heated with rage.

Pretty simple to fly really, orbit at the required range for your ammo (rage is 12km, navy is 15 and javelin goes out to 22km), and preferably just inside it to allow for changes in direction/velocity etc. Long web lets you hold them in place, while the oversized AB prevents them from outrunning you even with an mwd fit. Tracking disruptor should negate the damage from almost all frigates/dessies at around the ~10km mark (pulse/scorch slicers may be an issue), and the MASB is there to keep you alive if you find yourself taking damage (or at least give you time to try and run away).

Your most important thing to watch out for is the complete lack of any buffer whatsoever. Be very careful around artillery fits, you can quite possibly be volleyed. Aside from that, the main limitations for the fit are the number of required fitting mods/implants, and the relatively high price tag (~100m all together, but prices may vary). As well as these, there is also the fact that this is a rather intense ship to manage, and requires a certain amount of pilot skill (not just skill points) to fly really well. Fortunately, the Hookbill is very versatile, so there are plenty of fits around that are somewhat easier (and cheaper) to get to grips with.

Fly Dangerous ;)

Ninja edit: It's well worth noting that carrying around a synth or standard blue pill is certainly worthwhile in this fit. Also possibly useful is a crash booster, primarily for fighting after-burning armour frigates with those irritatingly low sig radii.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2013, 18:33 by kalaratiri »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
Re: [FITTING] Caldari Navy Hookbill
« Reply #1 on: 01 Mar 2013, 20:09 »

I'm not a fan of the Frig sized ASBs since the nerf. Don't give enough HP to warrant it over a MSE. Oversizes AB frig is interesting, whats the  align like?

I'll stick to the 1mnAB/2web/scram/TD. Tried and tested ^.^

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 02 Mar 2013, 05:58 »

I'm not a fan of the Frig sized ASBs since the nerf. Don't give enough HP to warrant it over a MSE. Oversizes AB frig is interesting, whats the  align like?

I'll stick to the 1mnAB/2web/scram/TD. Tried and tested ^.^

MASB instead of MSE because the MSE just won't fit. 12pg is easier to manage than 28 :P The whole point of it is really to stop you dying to drones. The align time is actually not too bad, at 15.6 seconds. Of course, as with all oversized AB fits, for any really hard turns you turn it off first. But for sitting in a stable orbit at 10-20km, thats pretty reasonable.

As with most things of this nature, gets better with snakes/skirmish links.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2013, 16:09 »

The Hookbill seems to be one of the preferred tools of the risk averse. All kinds of kiting with e-war.

I usually avoid them unless I can gank em, since the pilots that fly them do so because of their ability to avoid most risks without the owner needing fancy flying skills.

Add in things like drugs, OGBs, pirate implants (which tend to go together with the risk averse), I consider Hookbills a 'gank me or don't bother' ship class. I.e., not very interesting to fly or fight.

This taken into consideration, I would think they suck at getting fights too.

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #4 on: 04 Mar 2013, 06:37 »

I'm not going to disagree with Merd's summary of the average Hooker pilot but personally I'm interested in flying it lately because as you pointed out, flying a Hookbill invites a gank... Which is hardly a risk averse mindset.

This said, I'd have to agree with Deadie. Hooker doesn't seem like a particularly appealing ship to fly with oversized AB if you're just going to run a Webifier anyway.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar 2013, 12:29 »

Interestingly, I have always used the hookbill as more of a brawler than a kiter, with some of my first attempts at fitting it being designed to counter the (at the time) FOTM kitey Dramiel. AB and double webs, then sit right on top of him and hope my tank is better. I have some real success with that fit, against firetails and slicers as well as dramiels.

More recently, I've turned to using it against larger ships, and this requires a small sig radius, which means an AB and someway to reduce the target's tracking, so I'm not hit too hard even if I'm webbed. The above fit has a sig radius of 40m, it's propulsion is immune to scrams and suffers less from webs than a 1mn AB would, and it's own weapons don't rely on tracking. This makes it fantastic for fighting cruisers, particularly if they don't have a large drone bay.

This said, I'd have to agree with Deadie. Hooker doesn't seem like a particularly appealing ship to fly with oversized AB if you're just going to run a Webifier anyway.
The faction (and therefore longer ranged) web is as much to keep people from putting their own webs on you as it is to hold them in place. Webs are the only way to slow this ship down (apart from possibly neuting), so keeping away from them is a good idea.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 04 Mar 2013, 14:10 »

I'm not going to disagree with Merd's summary of the average Hooker pilot but personally I'm interested in flying it lately because as you pointed out, flying a Hookbill invites a gank... Which is hardly a risk averse mindset.

Good point!  :)

Desiderya

« Reply #7 on: 04 Mar 2013, 14:43 »

"Hooker pilot".  :lol:
Goes hand in hand with drugs.  :lol:

Anyways, my 2 cents: LML kiting is very efficient if you can select your targets. I'm not sure if it's truly better than the condor. Condor works better against slow targets, hookbill is better in kiter vs kiter matches since the missile range really becomes important at that point.

For gang work I prefer rocket brawling, and I think that's where the HB can shine.

In my area of space the majority of frigates you see (on the opposing side) are navy comets, more than half of them kitey ones. Slicers appear sometimes, too, and they're doing the same routine. I guess the same goes for the average hookbill you see in space. I wouldn't read too much into it. I'm not blaming people who use their 10MN destroyers to kite people around. That's literally the only thing you can do when you're faced with superior numbers. It's either resort to kiting or dock up.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 04 Mar 2013, 14:58 »

That's literally the only thing you can do when you're faced with superior numbers. It's either resort to kiting or dock up.

Or hilarious triple rep shenanigans, but that doesn't really work on small ships :S

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #9 on: 06 Mar 2013, 06:49 »

I didn't post mine last time because it's easy enough to find thanks to out-of-game tools, but then it occurred to me I should be less lazy;

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=16358421
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2013, 07:00 by Hatele »

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #10 on: 06 Mar 2013, 08:19 »

Oversized AB is interesting, though it seems like a lot is lost just trying to compensate for the fitting requirements. I like the fit and the concept behind it.

I've personally flown this fitting with Malcolm and had pretty good success with it:

--High--
Rocket Launcher II x3 (Caldary Navy Scourge Rocket)
--Medium--
1MN Afterburner II
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator
Balmer Series Tracking Disruptor I
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster
--Low--
Damage Control System II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
--Rigs--
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Bay Loading Accelerator I

Stats:
Speed: 1334 m/s Overheated: 1754 m/s
DPS: 114 DPS (Alpha: 305) Overheated: 132/305
Resists: EM 12.5%/TH 30%/KN 47.5%/EX 56.3%
EHP: 3,706 with 84DPS tank

You can replace the Small Loading Bay Accelerator I with Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I and Small Anti-TH Screen Reinforcer I rigs if you favor a slightly stronger tank, changing the stats to:

Speed: 1334 m/s Overheated: 1754 m/s
DPS: 103 DPS (Alpha: 305) Overheated: 120/305
Resists: EM 38.7%/TH 51%/KN 47.5%/EX 56.3%
EHP: 4,023 with 103DPS tank

Kill against a Thrasher (solo)
Kill against a Jaguar (solo)
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2013, 08:30 by ArtOfLight »
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2013, 11:10 »

[Caldari Navy Hookbill, Hookbil - AB - ASB - FW]

Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I

1MN Afterburner II
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 50
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Small Warhead Calefaction Catalyst I
Small Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I

How about the best of both worlds? It's more of a brawler fit which is what I like anyway, but has both an MSE for tank and the ASB for a bit of extra staying power. This fit is ofc not tested cause I can't fly it yet I just theorycrafted it during my physical science class cause its that boring. Does require a 3% CPU implant or switfh out the WCC rig for a CPU one. I went for the WCC because when I only get to use one damage rig Id rather increase my DPS by increasing my overall damage not just my ROF, but to each their own either will fit.

I'd like to see some opinions  on this since I've been out of game for a while my fitting ideas may be a bit outdated, but I was thinking of using this fit in FW after a while.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2013, 14:01 »

Considering how slow the Hookbill is -- unless you use a 10mn and have fuck all for maneuverability -- I would not consider using rockets unless loaded with javelins. You will be doing squat all damage to kiting frigates.

I've got the voice of Yuki in the back of my head yelling at me for not putting out any DPS.

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2013, 18:58 »

Considering how slow the Hookbill is -- unless you use a 10mn and have fuck all for maneuverability -- I would not consider using rockets unless loaded with javelins. You will be doing squat all damage to kiting frigates.

I've got the voice of Yuki in the back of my head yelling at me for not putting out any DPS.

It's not like he plays this game anymore... >_>

or does he?

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2013, 01:18 »

These things loaded with rokkits killed Dramiels when they were at the prime of their OP. They do just fine against kiters. Undock you need to Koko-san, 2008 it no longer is.
Pages: [1] 2