Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front used local civilian employees in its orbital production facility known as Prosperity Station? Read more about it here

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Experiment in Self Moderation  (Read 16547 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Experiment in Self Moderation
« Reply #75 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:33 »

Not much surprise on my side, the content is the realm of players, not moderation, and moderation is certainly not going to create better content.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #76 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:49 »

Not much surprise on my side, the content is the realm of players, not moderation, and moderation is certainly not going to create better content.

On the same note, moderation certainly isn't stifling content. That no better content was found in the Sphere is a telling example. This is ignoring the whole issue of it being a very short one-time experiment.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #77 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:10 »

Definitly. I often endorse a strict moderation.

The issue with the Summit is that the channel is moderated both ICly and OOCly, which makes things very confused.

ICly, the owners can do whatever they want moderation wise, since it's IC.

OOCly, it's an entirely different matter.

And both get often intermingled as hell.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #78 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:13 »

Definitly. I often endorse a strict moderation.

The issue with the Summit is that the channel is moderated both ICly and OOCly, which makes things very confused.

ICly, the owners can do whatever they want moderation wise, since it's IC.

OOCly, it's an entirely different matter.

And both get often intermingled as hell.

Would you propose eliminating OOC moderation in favor of more comprehensive and even stricter IC moderation to make up for it? I'm sure the mods could shoehorn in any number of reasons why someone would get banned or muted.

I feel that it's better as it is now, that mods clearly state if there is an OOC reason for an action taken, or if it's IC. If mods had to make up IC reasons to enforce the rules, I can only imagine things getting even more confusing.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #79 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:24 »

Yes, it's exactly the problem, and I have no clear solution to it in mind.

Anslol

« Reply #80 on: 22 Apr 2013, 11:00 »

Why do OOC reasons and IC reasons have to be separate? What rules that apply to any chat OOC can be applied to IC (i.e. courtesy, nothing too offensive, no spam, purposeful aggression, trolling, etc).

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #81 on: 22 Apr 2013, 14:06 »

Why do OOC reasons and IC reasons have to be separate? What rules that apply to any chat OOC can be applied to IC (i.e. courtesy, nothing too offensive, no spam, purposeful aggression, trolling, etc).

I actually dislike engaging in OOC interaction when in game, though I'll sometimes do it for the sake of being friendly and social (or for more practical reasons, such as that my squad is OOC and trying to talk as Tarquin would be, um, awkward). However, much as I'd love rules and enforcement of those rules in places like The Summit to be 100% IC, there are some rules that can only exist, and only be enforced, OOC.

For example, "No OOC." From the characters' perspective, it doesn't exist, so the rule cannot be enforced from that point of view.

That's an unsubtle example. There are other possibilities that blend IC and OOC problems, such as godmoding, breaking the fourth wall, and flagrant trolling that only has "punch" OOC (pulling in RL topics, for example. Characters get confused; players get annoyed).

Some OOC controls are necessary. Irritating, but true.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #82 on: 22 Apr 2013, 15:53 »

Because moderating someone ICly out of OOC reasons definitly sounds completely wrong to me. Or even worse, the other way around.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #83 on: 22 Apr 2013, 18:38 »

OOC moderation is useful because the player might be willing to compromise and communicate when the character isn't.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]