Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Mindflood, a sedative booster, is taken by pouring liquid from a vial onto a cloth, placing it over one's mouth, and inhaling the fumes? (The Burning Life p 38)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Experiment in Self Moderation  (Read 16543 times)

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
Re: Experiment in Self Moderation
« Reply #30 on: 02 Mar 2013, 10:04 »

Yes, I would.   :D

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 02 Mar 2013, 10:29 »

Would you then be so kind to do it in text here, as I still don't see the reasoning of the post, neither deductive nor inductive?  :P

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #32 on: 02 Mar 2013, 10:44 »

Sent

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 02 Mar 2013, 12:44 »

Wish nothing but the best on this project. 

Good luck Silas.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 03 Mar 2013, 09:37 »

We're up as "The Sphere"

Good attendance so far, derp levels remain low.  But much like radiation, it's the slow burn that can get ya  :bear:

Also as this is a summit spin-off it is likely inappropriate to keep it in 'the summit' category of backstage. If a mod wants to move this elsewhere that is super cool.

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #35 on: 06 Mar 2013, 06:44 »

Wasn't something similar attempted already with Saede's channel The Undercroft?

The Underdepths, and my channel. We have very low footfall but it does cater to a particular IC audience unlike The Sphere/The Summit which are set up for a place for all kinds to mingle. The fact that you know neither it's name or who owns the channel betrays how tiny it is. :P There's essentially no moderation and so far this hasn't created any problems.

I don't see The Sphere as directly competing with my channel or The Summit. As far as I'm concerned it's a completely different purpose, delivery and reception.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 06 Mar 2013, 11:23 »

Updates for those not-participating:

Numbers are lower than summit, but things can be lively when people are online and talkative.

Content seems to be occasionally more sexual and more profanity laden, but I haven't seen any extreme derp a lerp derails yet.

The risque typings that have happened have all seemed pretty boring to me though.  More like when a kid starts cursing because they -can- not because they need to.

Still no major issues yet.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #37 on: 07 Mar 2013, 09:53 »

Yeah.

I hear all the time "Moderation keeps good content away!"

Then, you go to where there is no moderation, and said content turns out to be LOL SPACEDICKS

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 07 Mar 2013, 11:46 »

Yeah.

I hear all the time "Moderation keeps good content away!"

Then, you go to where there is no moderation, and said content turns out to be LOL SPACEDICKS

I think you just found the name for my next pvp corp Graelyn :)

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #39 on: 07 Mar 2013, 12:00 »

Ticker 8DB=D
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 07 Mar 2013, 13:16 »

The problem is one or two of your moderators, and your refusal to do anything about it

I look into anything brought to my attention. Most people don't, because they know what I'll find.

When someone does, 95% of it is "I just don't like them." I've also removed mod rights from one of them for a few months when I thought they were being too aggressive.

So many of the blocks and bans we hand down come directly from me, with the mods you hate simply sending me logs. Since whining at me in public is, for some reason not 'popular', my mods literally tank all the hate.

So, pardon me if I roll my eyes a bit at that one.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2013, 13:21 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Niraia

• Clonejack
« Reply #41 on: 07 Mar 2013, 15:13 »

I look into anything brought to my attention. Most people don't, because they know what I'll find.

I'm not sure how you could possibly know that without communicating with those people. I know that some have felt it would be pointless, and just leave.

When someone does, 95% of it is "I just don't like them."...

...So many of the blocks and bans we hand down come directly from me, with the mods you hate simply sending me logs. Since whining at me in public is, for some reason not 'popular', my mods literally tank all the hate.

So, pardon me if I roll my eyes a bit at that one.

When you see mods causing needless hassle over things that would otherwise go unnoticed, it's hard not to resent the people doing the banning (or snitching, I guess). More so when they seem to get excited as something punishable happens in the channel. That doesn't make anyone's complaint less valid, does it?

Further, I'd expect that some would be unhappy with you assuming that they're complaining because they simply don't like the mods. Could you be mistaking frustration and anger for hatred?

Norrin Ellis

« Reply #42 on: 07 Mar 2013, 16:37 »

I'm still giving cash gifts to people that make the switch and give it a fair shake.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #43 on: 07 Mar 2013, 17:03 »

I've made the switch, and so far it just seems like another version of the Summit. I haven't yet seen issues of derp and drama... but then I haven't been watching it too closely. Kat had a bit of fun playing with it.

After reading the link Norrin posted, I'd like to clarify that I will not be 'excluding' the Summit completely. Sorry, but I don't need to not be in the Summit to enjoy The Sphere.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2013, 17:12 by Katrina Oniseki »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 07 Mar 2013, 19:42 »

Further, I'd expect that some would be unhappy with you assuming that they're complaining because they simply don't like the mods. Could you be mistaking frustration and anger for hatred?

It's certainly possible. However since ALL (with maybe 2 exceptions) of the cases that have eventually led to bans finally got to that point through blatant "I dare you to ban me, let's see how many rules I can break before the hammer comes" episodes in The Summit, that all got to witness,  the difference seems academic at best.

That said, I watch and correct more than you may think.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2013, 20:38 by Graelyn »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6