Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the connections inside a pod serve as both communications pathways and security wiring? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Totalitarianism versus tyranny  (Read 2934 times)

Gesakaarin

Re: Totalitarianism versus tyranny
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2013, 05:09 »

The highest-level cities in the Federation are described to be essentially post-scarcity.

I'm not sure how, if the Federation had achieved utopian post-scarcity as to why it's still capitalist and has corporations. I think what may be seen as "utopian post-scarcity" simply translates to, "ridiculously wealthy" which in any capitalist society means there's also going to be the losers of the game who live in slums, ghettos and cardboard boxes.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2013, 08:14 »

The highest-level cities in the Federation are described to be essentially post-scarcity.

I'm not sure how, if the Federation had achieved utopian post-scarcity as to why it's still capitalist and has corporations. I think what may be seen as "utopian post-scarcity" simply translates to, "ridiculously wealthy" which in any capitalist society means there's also going to be the losers of the game who live in slums, ghettos and cardboard boxes.
Yeah, that too.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 22 Feb 2013, 22:41 »

The Caldari State is a corporate plutocracy -- it isn't a tyranny; citizens have some voice in their government if they have the money to pay for it; they can always buy shares. While that does put it out of reach for most people, there are certainly funds and other ways to pool their money in order to gain some voice, though to be fair major shareholders (like most corporate officers) probably have more weight than many of the largest funds. Mens Reppola had/has a 5% stake in Ishukone, and called for the company to release 20% of its board-held shares to employees; considering there are millions (if not billions) of Ishukone employees...well, there's a slight imbalance.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2013, 22:49 »

Sepherim:

I don't think there's a term in contemporary poli-sci for what the Caldari State is. Aside from competition with other megacorps, about the only check on a megacorporation's power is intense social pressure to uphold and abide by Caldari law and tradition.

I'm not sure there's a word for that power structure.

Cultural hegemony. And more specifically: Louis Althusser.

There's no term to define it per se but we have ways to describe it. "Corporate plutocracy" comes close.
Pages: 1 [2]