Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a lone miner was detained and executed on 29.11YC105 for "suspicious curiosity" after asking passing Imperial Fleet ships "where they were going with all those guns".

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Balancing player desires against character desires  (Read 6146 times)

Corso.Verne

• sons of liberty
  • Clonejack
Re: Balancing player desires against character desires
« Reply #45 on: 10 Jun 2013, 12:48 »

Z-ARK:

Without entirely disagreeing, I'd analogize a long-term RPG character more to a set of tools than to a work of art itself.

The character's story, the character's life-path, is more the "art." Understanding the character allows us to chart that path with that much more precision. Being comfortable with the character allows us the energy to continue the path that much longer.

Perhaps it would have been better for me to say that you should accept comfort and discomfort as equal forces for good in character development.

As to the other thing, I'm pretty sure thats a rabbit hole we don't want to go down in terms of arguing, as it would probably lead to us needing to define "art" and set its parameters, which always leads to bloodbath.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #46 on: 12 Jun 2013, 11:34 »

Interestingly, it's never really been a problem for me.  As a writer, I've made and explored a lot of characters, many of them deeply unpleasant individuals.  The Robespierre-quoting cockney terrorist wanting everything to burn and the sadistic torturer alien particularly stick in my mind.

Repentence is not someone I'd get on with.  Her pro-slavery outlook, total selfishness and a host of other traits are ones that we do not share, but I find her fascinating to play.  I'm also aware that she's come a very long way from the naive cuddleslut she used to be, but that's just been natural evolution.  That said, it's come in large part because I'm a total sadist who puts their characters through hell just because it amuses my twisted mind.

Joining Veto is probably the one real example where IC and OOC interests conflicted - PRETA more or less shut down, but Mortis had no interest in working with Guristas and, had it been up to him, would probably have just buggered off to Curse to continue working with the Cartel.  The player wanted to keep up with the old gang and do more of the same, though, so I concocted 'orders from above'.

For the most part, though, I've been content to just let things shift as they may.  Part of that may be my historically massive swarm of alts (I was running three accounts for a while), so I really could have my cake and eat it.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #47 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:14 »

There have been just a couple of instances I've had to trump Mitty and beat her with the "be nice" stick.  I can likely justify it ICly, but if I as a player had no concern for other fellow players, things would have played out differently.  It's a tough line sometimes.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #48 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:21 »

There have been just a couple of instances I've had to trump Mitty and beat her with the "be nice" stick.  I can likely justify it ICly, but if I as a player had no concern for other fellow players, things would have played out differently.  It's a tough line sometimes.

I used to regularly have Morwen beating me round the head and demanding that I stop making life 'more interesting'.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #49 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:40 »

My real life was more than "interesting" enough back then, what with struggling to stay in school at the time, not to mention all the OTHER non-stop drama I had to deal with from everyone else. Can you blame me for smacking you, knowing how you used to enjoy putting all those other drama-noobs to shame? :P

I didn't have the time to deal with it at the time - literally - but on the other hand I was going to be required to deal with it because of my proximity to the epicenter. :P

Becoming a pirate was more of an OOC decision than an IC one, in my case. I needed something new, the corp I was in at the time was falling apart due to drama, and I had friends in a PVP corp who wanted to teach me. So, I went there. Luckily most of them were friends IC as well, so it sort of worked out even if the decision to go pirate is still something Morwen struggles to justify IC.

My switch from Ghost Festival to Veto was similar to Mort's. Friends/family were going there, it just made sense to follow along.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #50 on: 12 Jun 2013, 14:30 »

I think, at the moment, my desires and that of my character are pretty much in sync, mostly because everything is fluid at the moment.  I am still learning the ropes, figuring out what I like to do, and such.  Also, the fact that I've based Steff loosely around some of my own ideals, personality quirks, and passions makes it easier.  That said, perhaps once she has grown up a bit more and I have a more concrete idea of what I want to be doing, this may change.  Which, as a writer and having interests in social sciences and human interaction, I look forward to seeing.

For someone who has a hard time expressing themselves (both character and myself), this forum and the IGS forum have helped shape Steff's beliefs and personality a great deal more than I thought they would.  I also thought it would be much longer before I stepped out of the safe shadows of obscurity and lurking and got into the RP in EVE...though I think I did lurk in Summit and OOC for about a week before saying anything.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]