Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers resurfaced in YC106 to protest the monopoly then held by the empires on deadspace warp beacon technology.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thought and Memory  (Read 2916 times)

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
Re: Thought and Memory
« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2015, 11:02 »

Can Kyllsa be my Matari Studies professor pls?

Well done and interesting story, Avabearz.

On a more serious note, the mention of language barriers in your story sparked some internal discussion in my brain. It is my opinion that, today, language can oftentimes go on without being considered much, or perhaps even viewed as mundane. However, when you get right down to it, I find that language is incredibly fascinating, unique, and intricate. Language can represent entire cultures. It can be a very intimate and beautiful sort of thing.

That is why I like the notion of automated language processors (either incorporated into the brain via a chip or by some other device/method) in EVE. I feel that, in a sense, it destroys this sort of uniqueness and intimacy that language possesses. Therefore, it contributes to a sense of "grimdark", if you will.

Anyway just my two cents. :)
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #16 on: 28 Feb 2015, 15:49 »

Necro !

But a good one, not sure if I missed this the first time around or just if my memory is going but I really liked this.

* Altarica goes on the hunt for more Ava stories.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #17 on: 28 Feb 2015, 16:25 »

Pshhh, I don't view it so much as a necro as I do finally getting the chance to read stories I had planned on reading but never really had the time. Plus, I don't want people to feel their stories are forgotten or not read. :)
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 03 Mar 2015, 02:46 »

I love languages, and the unique window into a people and culture that only learning a bit of a language can provide. Its why I make sure that "Magic translator implants" arent a feature in all I write, or in my RP.

The fact I grew up in a neighborhood where it was not uncommon to walk around the block and hear half a dozen languages - one of which MIGHT be english - probably helped foster my love of languages and linguistics!
Pages: 1 [2]