Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Boosters are banned because they cause a deadly, incurable brain disease?  Read more here.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Grudges, forgiveness, and retcons  (Read 10998 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: Grudges, forgiveness, and retcons
« Reply #105 on: 05 Aug 2013, 08:11 »

In turn, I'll point out that RP, by its very nature, is a story.  A false narrative.  Try or not, a story we tell - together, each of us writing into it the role of our respective characters.

Then you're using a different definition of story than Samira is. A false narrative doesn't need conflict.

Which is fine, but I went with Samira's definition because I was responding to her post.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
Re: Grudges, forgiveness, and retcons
« Reply #106 on: 05 Aug 2013, 09:08 »

I think, personally, what makes a good story good is - among other things - the right amount of conflict. Change isn't always conflict, by the way. Other things than conflict contribute to growth and development than mere conflict. Too much conflict makes a story uninteresting in my opinion and lead to stagnation just as much as not enough conflict. Conflict doesn't lead to change, it's not sufficient for change, it merely contributes to character growth and development.

But, even if conflict is necessary for a good story, it might just not be what the writer/reader of the story really finds interesting about it. I don't see how it could not be a valid answer to "What do you find interesting about this story?" if one says "I don't find the conflict to be what is interesting about the story, even though it's an integral part of it, but...".

It's kind of thought-policing if one prescribes what has to be the interesting part of all and every stories.
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2013, 09:26 by Nicoletta Mithra »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]