Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Band of Brothers killed the first titan in EVE?

Author Topic: EVE Tabletop RPG  (Read 1233 times)

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
EVE Tabletop RPG
« on: 07 Feb 2013, 11:53 »

I've seen similar posts in the past about this but never really saw anything come of it, so I'm posting this as a feeler. One the big disparities between the game of EVE and the EVE universe is that as pilots, the adventure opportunities out of pod are largely restricted to our imagination. I'd like to find an experience that explores the remainder in a game setting.

I was thinking about working on some kind of tabletop RPG with a setting in the EVE:Online universe, and just wondering if anyone would be interested in participating in something like this. The game system hasn't been decided yet (open to suggestions), and the method of handling this would likely be forum-based as there are tons of people from differing time zones. If you're interested or just have ideas about it, post it and give me your feedback, as it'd be much appreciated.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
Re: EVE Tabletop RPG
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2013, 12:05 »

Eclipse Phase could work, just change the setting around.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2013, 12:17 »

NWoD would work pretty well. Even has a nice morality system.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2013, 01:15 »

I second Tiberius, Eclipse Phase already includes most of the elements existing in EVE. Probably GURPS could work as well, but I don't know it much. Were actually playing an forum game EVE RP in https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=193800&find=unread using the Fate system and it's going rather well too.

As for those interested in participating, I may be up for it. But I want to hear what you're thinking about doing first. :)

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 08 Feb 2013, 03:14 »

I'd still root for something using the basic structure of Ars Magica. Replace mages with capsuleers (and/or DUSTies), populate rest of the troupe with baseliners (who still may be Badass Normal). Admitted, this might require rather heavy modification (magic -> technology, medieval setting -> sci fi setting).

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb 2013, 03:31 »

Myself and a few of my friends use the Mongoose Traveler system for our eve tabletop games.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 08 Feb 2013, 04:13 »

The problem with Ars Magica is the scope of time.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #7 on: 08 Feb 2013, 04:47 »

I tend to use world of darkness mortals as a fairly flexible system in this regard, though I mainly use it to wireframe competitive or opposed actions in rp that need some form of skill/ability oriented outcome in mechanically unsupported rp.

Therefore I really only use this between a very small group of friends (who have all reviewed one another's sheets and stats against their background) and so don;t know how well it will pan out in a true rpg.  You need ALOT of trust in your playerbase to get the ruleo f fairplay operating soundly in WOD, modifications of it stay true to this.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #8 on: 08 Feb 2013, 12:12 »

Still very bitter that the long-promised White-Wolf EVE RPG was cancelled.  :mad:

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #9 on: 08 Feb 2013, 21:10 »

Too true Graelyn. :(

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #10 on: 09 Feb 2013, 04:40 »

Still very bitter that the long-promised White-Wolf EVE RPG was cancelled.  :mad:

Quite so. Maybe one day D:

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #11 on: 09 Feb 2013, 06:05 »

I wonder... There's a french rpg, Polaris, a post apo, cyberpunky setting : the surface of the Earth can no longer sustain human life, and mankind has settled under the sea. And the game provides rules (1) for submarines fights -since in Eve, void is made of pea soup, those rules could probably be tweaked...

(1) Toothachingly complex rules : the first edition involved fucking cubic roots oO
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth