Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That CCP financed the initial development of EVE Online by publishing a board game called Hættuspil ("Danger Game")?

Author Topic: [Advice Thread] Ieze and the future  (Read 1145 times)

Ieze Svain

[Advice Thread] Ieze and the future
« on: 16 Jan 2013, 20:33 »

So this was inevitable, because it seem like a good idea to get ideas flowing. And I've whined enough about Ieze and this will stop me from doing that.

I need advice as to where to take Ieze, so far she is a staunch Minmatar Loyalist, a little extreme in her views. Part of me wants to continue that but I've had so many waves of interesting things I could do with her that I've started to get a bit confused. Do I go the route of Trans-humanism, either extreme and go for sansha or just be a character that is fascinated by it? Do I stick to my guns and go for the whole Minmatar loyalty thing or not? and more.

Luckily she has the space to do these things but I want to decide and stick to it. I want to be decisive about it. (something IRL I am terrible at)

Also ideas for events to occur in the Letters project are welcome (bear in mind I have about ten entries already planned out.).

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
Re: [Advice Thread] Ieze and the future
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2013, 20:40 »

Id say... depends on how she responds to the letters project? Does it strengthen her resolve in the republic and the tribes? does it destroy it and convince her humanity is beyond salvation without extreme, sansha-esque means?

Ieze Svain

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2013, 20:45 »

Id say... depends on how she responds to the letters project? Does it strengthen her resolve in the republic and the tribes? does it destroy it and convince her humanity is beyond salvation without extreme, sansha-esque means?

That is the main over-arching idea I had or have. I just kind of wanted a little input from people and a place to ask questions rather than annoy people in channels.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2013, 21:05 »

I always find out that sometimes, it's best just to move forward and RP and that your own char will give you the answers of where it wants to go. Like novel characters telling their writers how they want to act. To do this not every RP will give you answers, but you need to RP on the questions that bring doubts (though, sometimes, you may find unexpected answers in other kinds of RP, it is harder to "look for it" there): try bringing up the subject of transhumanism, loyalism, minmatarr rebelions, sansha's nation... etc. up in different ways: channels, IGS, whatever. And, when doing so, "force yourself" to participate in those debates, defending whatever Ieze feels like defending. And, by doing so, she'll show you where she wants to go.

At least it works for me. :)

Ieze Svain

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2013, 21:18 »

I always find out that sometimes, it's best just to move forward and RP and that your own char will give you the answers of where it wants to go. Like novel characters telling their writers how they want to act. To do this not every RP will give you answers, but you need to RP on the questions that bring doubts (though, sometimes, you may find unexpected answers in other kinds of RP, it is harder to "look for it" there): try bringing up the subject of transhumanism, loyalism, minmatarr rebelions, sansha's nation... etc. up in different ways: channels, IGS, whatever. And, when doing so, "force yourself" to participate in those debates, defending whatever Ieze feels like defending. And, by doing so, she'll show you where she wants to go.

At least it works for me. :)

Was it you saying earlier that people don't let their characters think with their brains? I just remember someone talking about this kind of thing today.
Anyway thank you.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2013, 21:29 by Ieze Svain »

Sepherim

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2013, 21:36 »

Nope, but I can understand someone saying such a thing. :)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2013, 23:53 »

characters don't have brains to think with, of course. But we do... and it's a tricky business to figure out the difference between what they would want and what you want.

For my part, I've always tried to be as organic as possible with Katrina. That only works for acute interactions though, and builds up over time into a broader personality. If you need something to start with, you rather just need to pick something. Even if it's a very vague base, you just pick it and start there.

Since you already have a loyalist base to start with, I'd suggest you just let your continuing interactions shape her views. Unless you have an OOC desire to get into a specific corp or circle of RP... I wouldn't try to railroad her one way or the other.

That is just my opinion!

Ieze Svain

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2013, 08:07 »

characters don't have brains to think with, of course. But we do... and it's a tricky business to figure out the difference between what they would want and what you want.

For my part, I've always tried to be as organic as possible with Katrina. That only works for acute interactions though, and builds up over time into a broader personality. If you need something to start with, you rather just need to pick something. Even if it's a very vague base, you just pick it and start there.

Since you already have a loyalist base to start with, I'd suggest you just let your continuing interactions shape her views. Unless you have an OOC desire to get into a specific corp or circle of RP... I wouldn't try to railroad her one way or the other.

That is just my opinion!

Thank you, and yeah i think maybe I just continue to build up the image of Ieze  in the Letters..  :D

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2013, 08:09 »

More extremists and fanatics on all sides please.  Just be polite about it!
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2013, 12:25 »

One of the interesting bits about capsuleer society is the inevitable contact with people of different races, creeds, nationalities, and ideals. Hatred, under those circumstances, is usually a challenge. Sure, you may encounter the odd raving fanatic, but you also run into the sane, reasonable, and thoughtful.

At that point, there are basically two paths. Either you start to see those you are coming in contact with as people more than targets, or you double down and determine that differences (such as slavery) are more important than how "nice" any given Amarrian might seem. That last is easier for the Minmatar than most-- it's pretty easy to cast largely-racialized slavery and programs of cultural annihilation in an utterly damning light.

On the other hand, Minnies are maybe the only faction that could do with fewer extremists. The Amarr/Minnie arguments on the IGS are utterly predictable and haven't changed substantially since at least 2006. All that changes is the backdrop-- do U'K hold space? Do the Amarr? Has Jamyl freed a bunch of people yet? None of it ultimately changes the discussion.

Of course, becoming more moderate need not change what you do very much. EM is less "out there" than U'K, but still fights the good fight against the Amarr.

One of Aria's favorite observations (cold-blooded little creature that she is) is that it is easy to kill people you don't really think of as people. It's much harder to look someone in the eye and say, "I recognize your humanity. I understand that you have been fighting for your own way of life, and your own way of seeing right and wrong. I can even think that we might have been friends, had things been different."

... and then shoot that person in the face.

I've always liked that as a roleplaying challenge. It's easy to be a fanatic. It's much harder to play a moderate who is still willing to kill for her beliefs.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2013, 12:29 by Aria Jenneth »

Ieze Svain

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2013, 16:32 »

Thank you Aria, yeah there is alot to consider.. indeed.

Im leaning towrds going independant bu we shall see where the letters take me, for the moment Ieze will follow her nose.

Sepherim

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2013, 23:37 »

Couldn't agree more with Aria.