Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Author Topic: new languages in the forum?  (Read 2045 times)

Publius Valerius

new languages in the forum?
« on: 10 Jan 2013, 08:28 »

Hi to all,

I have found with great joy, that there are some language project in the community. I havent even know, before today; that there was a northern regional sebiestor  :(. I really love those ideas.

I had also an idea, which could maybe help to get some new players. My goal would be, that the small group of roleplayers on this board gets a little bigger.* Gottiis hate rant against me: "Youve added no value in this thread, or anywhere on any forum Ive seen you on.  Despite what you might think, argumentation is not your strength." This brought me to my the old idea, that: "The English-speaking forums arent the whole Amarr RP community etc.... " (look add point two). And secondly, that I could add something of value to the ENGLISH speaking RP community; if there wasnt a strict language restriction.

As he said, "fairly sophisticated, adult, and nuanced English discussion with a child like grasp of the English language and think you are going to "correct" or "show" the audience anything." My proposal could help on this case. For example: I could talk with Gotti about Kant in german (which would be great. As I have Kant just in german ;)). Even when he thinks that: "Im beginning to think that you would likely come off as even more bizarre and ridiculous in your native tongue." I think, a discussion in different languages could open the board more. It would also help to explain things easier, as some languages have a single word for one Sachverhalt/issue/"situational circumstances"; as it in english can also mean way more (for example: Domain or issue  :P)

But dont get me wrong. As we see now, the new projects poping up. I could also think, about discussions in gallente (french). sebiestor (spanish) etc.... I think, it would bring alot of fun to have something like a "fictitious nativ language" forum part. I could think of discussions in proto-gallente, amarrad or northern regional sebiestor. What you guys think?

I could think, it would fit nicly in the IC subforum of this board. But what do other player thing?

*Lets ramble, if it would help my goal (to get the small group of roleplayers on this board a little bigger)  :D.

P.S. By the way Gottii. About my poor argumention, or as you said "argumentation is not your strength." I still dont get why "US companies are actually very very good at navigating and interacting with other cultures"? It would be nice if you explain to me how you come to this statement (what would be the larger law/gesetz/axiom? So that your statement is TRUE). And after that, when I have seen you can make a argument. I will explain, WHY I think you are a moron or racist (aka slavery discussion).

« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2013, 19:12 by Publius Valerius »

Publius Valerius

Re: new languages in the forum?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2013, 16:20 »

As addition so that it easier to understand for Gottii what I meant:

Main premise:......
Minor premise:......
Therfore:
"US companies are actually very very good at navigating and interacting with other cultures."

As example (with modells, which I mention in the other post):

With the Homo economicus
Main premise: A Company X is good in navigating and interacting with other cultures, when this company put resources in to it (Labour, Capital).
Minor premise: US companies put those resources to it.
Therfore:
All US companies are good at navigating and interacting with other cultures.

With the Homo sociologicus
Main premise: A Human with a good Rollen* understanding, those good/positive in navigating and interacting with other cultures.
Minor premise: Americans have a good Rollen understanding.
Therfore:
All US companies/Americans are good at navigating and interacting with other cultures.

*Rollen (social roles) is the german term. I havent transplated it, as Dahrendorf had wrote and publish it german, so If Gottii takes the german version, there will be no missunderstanding.

Back to the topic.... Would some people have a interest on a ingame channel for fictitious native languages?

« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2013, 16:30 by Publius Valerius »

JinOtsi

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2013, 23:40 »

wat

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2013, 01:08 »

wat

I think I understand, actually.

1) Publius struggles to reach his audience in English.
2) Publius believes that allowing people to post in German and other languages would increase the amount of discussion on the board.
3) Publius believes that encouraging discussion in languages other than English would add value to discussions being conducted in English.
4) Publius would like to remind everyone that Gotti got modded for flaming him.
5) Publius would like to restart an argument with Gotti about US corporate behavior.
6) Publius wants to survey interest for an ingame channel to be used to discuss fictional languages.
7) Publius suggests six because he has found himself out of the loop on at least one fan-made language.

Sound about right?
Formerly Simon Coal.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2013, 01:21 »

Unfortunately we don't have much in the way of moderators who speak other languages fluently. That would make it difficult to moderate such a board. I would suggest you could always start your own German language forum. I know that there are quite a few Germans and German speakers who play, and they might find it a valuable resource.

JinOtsi

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2013, 01:22 »

wat

2) Publius believes that allowing people to post in German and other languages would increase the amount of discussion on the board.
3) Publius believes that encouraging discussion in languages other than English would add value to discussions being conducted in English.
5) Publius would like to restart an argument with Gotti about US corporate behavior.
6) Publius wants to survey interest for an ingame channel to be used to discuss fictional languages.
7) Publius suggests six because he has found himself out of the loop on at least one fan-made language.

Sound about right?

Thanks. I find myself having nothing to contribute within the rules. Personal failing, really.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2013, 01:56 »

Having lived away from my native country more often than I've lived within it and having a tenuous grasp on French, German, Dutch and Japanese in addition to my native English I learned one thing from my time working at foreign companies.

You will almost never win a discussion-based debate in a foreign language.

This might make non-native English speakers feel heavily disadvantaged in discussions with native English speakers, especially those who either don't have the experience in drawing out the ideas of a non-native English speaker or the inclination to.

Sub-dividing your community into language based groups, sadly, often has the net result of splintering it into  non-interacting sub-cultures. I believe the best solution is for non-native English speakers to accept that their ideas will be seen to best effect in less-confrontational environments and for native English speakers to provide those environments to the best of their ability.

Publius Valerius

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2013, 06:17 »

wat

Just: "Publius believes that encouraging discussion in languages other than English would add value to discussions/talks on the board." As I said, I can also see a discussion outside of the "realm of english". But I havent said a thing, about using other languages on discussions being conducted in English in the first place
Publius ask what his argument was; or was it just a statement?

Sound about right?

More or less right. But I would change one or two things. First.... I would say "Publius would like to remind everyone that Gotti is a moron.", that try to counter a bias argument of Seriphyn with its own bias argument (if it is even a argument, not just a statement? The latter will we see, if this guy can actually more than just talk.). What makes this funnier is, that he later even hate rants against bias statements  :P.

I would also shorten the list a little:

(1) How to get the small group of roleplayers on this board a little bigger? So first, we see the main goal. Getting bigger.
(2) Now, the second question would be how you will get bigger? Easy, include other communities too.
(3) How could you include communities? By open the board.

wat
Do you have any question? Im happy to answer any question. EVERYTHING  :P Like why the sky is blue (just joking). I know you havent any magic decoder, but still you can ask. It looks less snob-ish, from above looking, if you ask, then just wrote: "Im right, because I can english unlike you." *cough*
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2013, 10:28 by Publius Valerius »

Publius Valerius

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2013, 06:50 »

Unfortunately we don't have much in the way of moderators who speak other languages fluently. That would make it difficult to moderate such a board. I would suggest you could always start your own German language forum. I know that there are quite a few Germans and German speakers who play, and they might find it a valuable resource.

Thanks for the answer  :D. Sadly to hear, it is a No  :cry:.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:08 »

Like Pieter I don't think it is a good idea. When people will start discussions in foreign languages, destined to 2 or 3 people max, that's 95% people left that will not be able to follow...

JinOtsi

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:36 »

I'm starting to feel rather inadequate. I can't manage to wrestle basic meaning out of several paragraphs while he manages to derive entire sentences from three letters. I'll have to echo Pieter though. It's generally speaking a bad idea and while no one's going to stand in the way of creating a channel for such discussions, it's unlikely to be a hit since most such discussions happen on forums where you can reference created content and fiction in stable environments for posterity. Chat channels tend to be a little too ephemeral in nature for such endeavors.

Publius Valerius

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2013, 10:23 »

I'm starting to feel rather inadequate. I can't manage to wrestle basic meaning out of several paragraphs while he manages to derive entire sentences from three letters.

Ehm  :cry:...It wasnt to insult you or even Gottii.... It is more, if you help me (as example: by showing our reasoning/"logic behind"); it will make the general unterstanding easier (by the way, that isnt just a native english speaker thingy. I had ask my EKT (UK corp) friends, to explain the reasining of comment x or y; and even they couldnt say what some of the actual english speaker had try to show). Of course those rules count for me to, they go in both directions. I have to show my points too; which is/can be sometimes be a problem. But if people just ask "why this"? or "why that"? I will try of course to show those points.

wat
Do you have any question? Im happy to answer any question. EVERYTHING  :P Like why the sky is blue (just joking). I know you havent any magic decoder, but still you can ask. It looks less snob-ish, from above looking, if you ask, then just wrote: "Im right, because I can english unlike you." *cough*
So again. Sorry if my comment here was saw as an insult. I had more try to say, that for me: Pointing out any errors isnt a problem, as I said here: "It helps me." When you ask.

In general:

About the style about the "less-confrontational environment" I agree on that. You are right. And sorry if I was unfriendly. ... It just get "tripping"  :lol:, when I read some comments in the past (like Popper is a nazi or outdate, without any prove that this is the case. It is for me just insulting.); BUT I ALSO KNOW THATS A PROBLEM ON MY SIDE.

wat

Sound about right?

Thanks. I find myself having nothing to contribute within the rules. Personal failing, really.
Just say what is in our mind my friend. I think for you it will be even easier as it is for me.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2013, 11:01 by Publius Valerius »

Publius Valerius

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2013, 10:31 »

I'll have to echo Pieter though. It's generally speaking a bad idea and while no one's going to stand in the way of creating a channel for such discussions, it's unlikely to be a hit since most such discussions happen on forums where you can reference created content and fiction in stable environments for posterity. Chat channels tend to be a little too ephemeral in nature for such endeavors.
Like Pieter I don't think it is a good idea. When people will start discussions in foreign languages, destined to 2 or 3 people max, that's 95% people left that will not be able to follow...
True that. Ehm..... let me think about it.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2013, 11:37 by Publius Valerius »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2013, 20:28 »

[mod]Don't insult other members.[/mod]