Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Quafe is so popular it once prevented a war? Read more in the Chron

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What's in a Name?  (Read 3091 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: What's in a Name?
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2013, 19:52 »

Once upon the time, prior to joining the RP community there were two Dex Nede(r)land.  One Civire and one Gallente.  It is actually a nickname and a reference to my actual last name!

Dex was lucky to not get thrown out with the Gallente expats and those Caldari who looked too Gallente for the likes of the CPD's goons.

Dex's family was firmly mixed prior to the outbreak of the Gallente-Caldari War;  his great-great-great-grandfather was a mixed blood serving in a Caldari mercenary corp when the GCW broke out.   Great x 4 - grandfather was Dex Nede(r)land and also mixed blood.  4 generations the two halves of the Nede(r)land clan named two different children for their great x 4 grandfather (who apparently did something, now I need to figure out what).  Dex's family's record since the exodus has been one of service to the State, each generation serving LDPS and CN.

Koroe Tankyuusha ... I need to think more about it.

Istvaan: If you don't know the origin of this, you need to read more 40k lore.
:twisted:

Gesakaarin

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2013, 22:40 »

A question for Gesakaarin - is the 'G' hard, soft ... or silent?  :D

Hard.

Desiderya

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2013, 08:14 »

I have no troubles with double vowels.  :evil:

As far as Desiderya goes - the character was created when I first started playing EVE, without any thoughts about RP. When I returned to the game I was already so twisted that MMORPGs without RPing were no fun for me anymore, so I figured I'd give it a try. And since it was a try I didn't want to start fresh SP wise. In hindsight, I'd chose differently today. But then Des wouldn't exist.

The last name was given in an attempt to get closer to PF. I'm still contemplating (DeadRow/Hikari reminds me of this every time) giving her a second name that's more caldari - a meh situation all around, since it'd be kind of a retcon.

PS: Anyone shortening the name to 'desi' will be subject to my personal OOC wrath. It might be a foreign thing, but it sounds awful to my ears.
PPS: What's in a name? - Letters.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2013, 10:02 »

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2013, 10:58 »

Tiberious is actually a superman villain, hth.

But no, actually, I just wanted something roman-esque sounding, with alliteration.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Desiderya

« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2013, 11:52 »

Don't google the name, Lyn, for  your own safety.
Also yes, that's just a coincidence. Now, for my own shame, that's borrowed from a character from a mediocre novel around a german fantasy rpg.  :ugh:

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jan 2013, 07:55 »

Simon specifically chose his name, and it doesn't really sound like his real name.  I've written a few things set on Intaki Prime that use his nom de capsule, mostly to lessen any confusion and also because I don't want people to know his real name.  More importantly, perhaps, neither does he.  He's made a conscious decision to bury it.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2013, 16:15 »

James is simply a family name, near enough to my own that I like.  Syagrius was the last Roman Procurator in Gaul.  His defeat by King Clovis I is considered by most Historians the end of Roman rule outside of the Italian Peninsula.
Pages: 1 [2]