Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanids were fellow settlers alongside the Amarrians on Athra, better known today as Amarr Prime? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Character Stand-Ins and Influences from Popular Fiction  (Read 9420 times)

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
Re: Character Stand-Ins and Influences from Popular Fiction
« Reply #15 on: 03 Jan 2013, 12:36 »

Llalara: Never not trolling
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #16 on: 03 Jan 2013, 14:09 »

Saede is a combination of Kimiko Ross from Dresden Codak with Marigold from Questionable Content, mentally compiled after reading through all of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. I would be honestly pretty hard pressed to come up with one archtype that perfectly defines Saede.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #17 on: 03 Jan 2013, 14:35 »

Tib's just this guy, you know?
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jan 2013, 18:59 »

Mannerisms:
Liara from Mass effect, for the "Oh, it must be a Human Thing" for when Synthia Does Not Understand.
JohnnyCab from Total Recall (original), for Synthia's literalmindedness at times. "where am I?" "You are in a JohnnyCab!" "how did I get here?" "The door opened, and you got in!"
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jan 2013, 21:03 »

I don't really have any characters in-mind right now, but Seriphyn has, through no direct intent of my own, ended up as somewhat of a Byronic Hero. I think I have CCP to thank with the live event back in 2010 that offed/Sansha'fied his childhood sweetheart and infant son. In this regard, Seriphyn's moodiness and indulgent in suffering is not forced or deliberately attention-seeking, but something that became of the character, not something that the character was born into.

I dunno, I guess I feel it's legitimized, me otherwise taking an elitist attitude to self-loathing characters in general. Not that that's my rational side speaking.

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #20 on: 04 Jan 2013, 02:47 »

I hadn't a specific fiction reference in mind when roleplaying Adreena, rather a collection of attitudes seen in myself, friends and strangers.

But recently, during a rp, I had this OOC comment : "She reminds me of Tali". Which I'm perfectly fine with :D
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 04 Jan 2013, 16:36 »

Karmilla has some influence from Tara Knowles from Sons of Anarchy.

It's not fiction, but still it was a television influence so I'll mention it. My Minmatar character's background was heavily influenced by an episode of "Beyond Survival". It was a documentary where the host spent time living with members of an ocean-living culture. It was such a fascinating lifestyle and I think that in some elements of Minmatar life, survival could come down to whether an old spark plug works or not.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #22 on: 07 Jan 2013, 20:19 »

Tali ftw, btw.

Regarding Sak and the rest of the girlie horde?  No distinct influences, at least in terms of personality - as I've said elsewhere, I'm a fan of strong women, especially the types that strike the right balance between strength and femininity.  So when I see anyone in RL, games, TV, etc. that strikes me as having the right kind of attitude, I keep them in mind if possible use for the influence comes up.

Some examples I can think of for each of the sisters, off the top of my head, range from:

Sakura - Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)
Akusa - Andromeda (Gene Rodenberry's Andromeda)
Ereka - Samantha Carter (SG-1)
Eri - Kaname Chidori (Full Metal Panic!)
Ami - Asuka Langley Soryu (Evangelion)

Ieze Svain

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2013, 04:47 »

Making Ieze, I was definitely thinking Kara "Starbuck" Thrace of BSG, except looking at it now she looks nothing like it.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2013, 08:15 »

Ava is... you know, I have no idea who Ava is modeled after? As far as who she resembles, I suppose Eivør Palsdottir http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpiFmZLICgM

As far as how Ava acts, I am not sure? Maybe Mulan?  :?:

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 16 Jan 2013, 01:05 »

Tarquin Markel: more than a few genes from Kir Kanos, from the "Star Wars: Crimson Empire" comic books I read about the time I originally created the character. They're a pretty good read, if a little, um, comic book-ish. I liked Kir's attitude; it was refreshing to encounter an unabashed, principled monarchist positively portrayed in a Star Wars book.

I did not particularly like his overly-high level of awesome, however.

Aria Jenneth: no major influences, too many minor influences to list.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2013, 01:29 by Aria Jenneth »

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jan 2013, 21:47 »

Luna's got a long backstory simply because I've been roleplaying her for a long time (all the way back to pen and paper days) and sort of decided to try to shoe horn her into Eve, carving off some aspects of her history and modifying others.  Can't really say any one character influenced her, especially how she is now is, but in the past...

When I first started to play her she was modeled loosely off Laurana (the younger, spoiled Laurana) in Dragonlance. 

Later as she matured and got into various combat RP, I was probably influenced by what I was reading at the time, Sturm Stormblade(in terms of the attitude of a Paladin), the older more mature Laurana, and Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr's in Tonya Huff's Valor series.  Honor Harrington also had some influence at least in mannerisms and as a Steadholder in a religiously conservative world.

Luna now is a bit shell-shocked and disillusioned with some of her prior choices/experiences and took a similar turn to Sgt. Kerr in the later Valor books in leaving the service except instead of space salvage, Luna went into mining.

Alizabeth

• Egger
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan 2013, 23:00 »

Alizabeth, the Goon (Hail Mittani! (and Rydis, who loves me)), is modeled a lot after Hans Landa and combined with Bridgett von Hammersmark from Inglorious Basterds in terms of interactions and mannerisms.  Unlike both of them, she would never betray the Goons, however.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan 2013, 23:45 »

I never actually modelled new-seph after anyone specific. Just didn't want to play a complex and twisted character as old-seph was, so a direct military type was the plan. Someone from any military movie originally would have fit.

But, after a month developing him, I believe too much of old-seph has gotten into him (damn me!) and he evolved to somewhere in between. So I think that, if I should have to see a reference, it would be in the main trio of human characters in Babylon 5:
-Originally, as military-oriented as Ivanova.
-With a past with many resemblances to Garibaldi's and quite a bit of his cinic ways on many subjects.
-But, probably, the closest reference would be Sheridan.

Oh, and when old-seph is strong in me, he'd come closer to Sinclair. :)

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #29 on: 29 Jan 2013, 05:30 »

Hmm. Hard to say...

A lot of her came from a character a friend of mine ran in a Shadowrun game a few years ago, who had the whole normal person in to deep and coming to grips with a huge change in their nature thing going on, as well as her thing for history and pointless trivial knowledge. Beyond that, probably a bit of Kaelyn the Dove from Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, and a dash of Tsukiko from Paranoia Agent. And I guess her spiritualism just comes from the setting itself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3