Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter first stated his intention to liberate Federation space on December 4th, Year 111? See the announcement here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Idea: Family Member Characters under other player control (yay?)  (Read 7696 times)

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain

Establishing a relationship like this to another player is great for adding the right type of drama, imo.

I'd be in favour of anything like this as a way of providing easy go-to RP with not only your sibling/family member but also with anyone they have a pre-existing relationship with.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

Sibling rivalry is interesting.

You may bicker all you want, but when an outside threat appears suddenly there is a united front against it.

One of the major things with family (and really old friends) is that you speak the same language, you know exactly what the other person means when they say something, there is no need for elaboration at any point, the speed of exchanging information is awe inspiring.

I have three brothers and a sister, with a few sentences, well placed grunts, waggling of eyebrows and body language even the most elaborate story can be told in a few moments.

It is awesome :D

But very hard to emulate in a RP setting, especially when you have a stranger playing your sibling.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette

I've done this in EVE, twice. It can be fun. My main advice would be to look for a player who you can be reasonably sure has the time and commitment to play the character on at least a semi-regular basis. There's a risk they'll drop the character if they suddenly get busy IRL, or simply when the novelty wears off. You should try to minimize that risk if you can.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette

One thing we tried to do to emulate how siblings can communicate so effectively is when RPing in public places, we had both players in a seperate chat channel where we could oocly explain "what that look meant" and stuff like that. It did help though that we both knew each other and we didn't really need that particular tool often.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

One thing we tried to do to emulate how siblings can communicate so effectively is when RPing in public places, we had both players in a seperate chat channel where we could oocly explain "what that look meant" and stuff like that. It did help though that we both knew each other and we didn't really need that particular tool often.

I cannot overstate how truly useful this is, even when playing characters who aren't related, but just know each other so well to the point that the text part of the RP is limiting.

When RPing with Inara, Reppy, Ava, and a few other people, I use this technique frequently to discreetly point out useful cues that one of us might pick up on but the general public (if we're in a larger venue, perhaps) might not. For example, Morwen and Inara are generally capable of telling when the other is lying through their teeth, or is referring to something between the lines rather than speaking straight - in fact a very large portion of their relationship and interaction is based on not speaking straight to each other and varying levels of (sometimes intentional) misdirection - but just in case we don't catch it right away, we let each other know because our characters would certainly know.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain

Yup, close relationships IC require a good deal of OOC cooperation too. Remember, RP is like acting, and the players are the actors. Interconnected roles need to be understood and discussed with others to be portrayed well.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

Yet there is no director nor is there a script.

Which usually is the problem for some people.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Publius Valerius

Yet there is no director nor is there a script.

Which usually is the problem for some people.

I think, if Silias knows the other person; it could be less of a problem (still possible, but to lesser degree). If I may can ask. What you have in mind? Will we see another Kingdom roleplayer (Publius is excited and cant wait :lol:). Which fights for the name of here family, or totally something new?

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette

* Aldrith Shutaq creeps into the thread.

What. Do. We. Have. Here.

I am in fact, Aldy's good twin.
:eek:
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2012, 10:47 by Mitara Newelle »
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette

Ava has a sister, and because of her, Ava constantly hears "why cant you be more like your sister?" which I always thought would be fun.

If I had an open character, I might do this Silas, cause it DOES sound fun... maybe Kat will run with it!

Also, confirming that I am Aldrith's long-lost twin sister. I thought the resemblance was obvious!
:eek: :eek:
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette

Also, if this relation to Silas is not Sabik he or she will be hounded for recruitment in PIE to keep he or she out of that evil Silas' clutches!!

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums

Also, if this relation to Silas is not Sabik he or she will be hounded for recruitment in PIE to keep he or she out of that evil Silas' clutches!!

S/he'd be subjected to the worst hazing in history also  :twisted:

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

Honestly, that is one of the reasons why PIE hasn't as many members as it could have.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I'm not sure that one should be proud that having to coexist with Laerise IC is considered hazing. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums

Psh, as someone who had to 'endure' has served under Lallara as a CEO I can comfortable in saying that Lae' is all kinds of fluffy bears and cuddly wuddly niceness.
And Lall's attitude was a good thing! I guess he's just more apt / hardline in his approach to create hell on earth for people who're dumb  :cube:
These days I miss the true hardliners, even though I did (more or less secretly) curse them when I was a hippie  :lol:

Ok, really my last edit:

I'd also like to mention that people demonize my poor character too much :p She can be perfectly nice if people behave themselves, are not terrorists/heretics, silly and/or any combination of those things.
A surprising number of people does not qualify for any of the above  :roll:
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2012, 09:38 by Laerise [PIE] »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5