Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The nation of Jin-Mei is the latest addition to the Federation? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Instructions for Good Posting Re-post  (Read 4668 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Instructions for Good Posting Re-post
« Reply #15 on: 16 Dec 2012, 17:55 »

As an aside, I've noticed that when posting things on the IGS that are unclear if IC or OOC, it sometimes helps to append a brief OOC message at the end of your posts clarifying that you intend this to be an IC discussion or only for discussion among among the RP community. Things I'd point to here would be Silas' investment threads, where he outright says "I'm only interested in IC responses", and the mods left the thread alone.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Jace Carithias

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2012, 08:46 »

As mentioned, it was the use of the word "forum." Regardless of whether that can be used as a correct descriptor, it is such an OOC-laden term that people tend to spaz when you use it. Been that way for a long, long time.

People like to think of it as a literal "summit," where communication can be in a variety of ways. I tend to think of it as a pseudo virtual "General Assembly," but without people showing up in person. *shrug*

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2012, 09:38 »

You sure it was the term 'forum' or is that just your opinion? If it was, I think it's quite hilarious, as - as I already pointed out - people have no problem with applying all the other terms we use in respect to internet forums.

Alizabeth

• Egger
« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2012, 13:15 »

As mentioned, it was the use of the word "forum." Regardless of whether that can be used as a correct descriptor, it is such an OOC-laden term that people tend to spaz when you use it. Been that way for a long, long time.

People like to think of it as a literal "summit," where communication can be in a variety of ways. I tend to think of it as a pseudo virtual "General Assembly," but without people showing up in person. *shrug*

Right, then the post could have changed a couple of words to be IC then.  And if the RP community spergs at the term forum, then there is some serious issues.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #19 on: 22 Dec 2012, 12:55 »

If that's fact and not simply speculation this has to be one of the more foolishly narrow applications of a moderator ban-stick I've seen used. It regards English as an almost binary function with single black/white meanings to its words rather than the context-based language set that it is. Nicoletta is right, 'forum' has a wide variety of connotations and one of those connotations - the idea of it being a meeting place where exchange of ideas and dialogue freely occurred - is a very apt (and in-character) description of the IGS. If, as suggested, "people tend to spaz when you use it" in that way, that's their problem not the OP's and reveals some concerning issues within the RP community in general as Isis said.

Better question to ask is why do we always feel the need to moderate for the lowest common denominator?

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 24 Dec 2012, 05:41 »

Because the internets bring out the best in people.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 02 Mar 2013, 05:33 »

As I read these boards, I find that quite a few people have no idea how to make a good post. I am making this instructional post in order to teach the community how to make good original posts in an effort to improve the quality of these boards.

I am only reading this one now, but I can't help but smile at the irony of this post. I completely understand the OOC/IC confusion and the resulting lock. I believe a few slight alterations to the first sentences could have completely avoided this issue:

IC-ized

When I visit this summit, I find that quite a few capsuleers have no idea to how to deliver their message. I am making this instructional post in order to teach the cluster how to make good original messages in an effort to improve the quality of debate on this summit.

IC-ized and Untrolled

When I visit this summit, I find that many capsuleers can improve on how they get their messages across. I am making this instructional post to assist the cluster in providing good original messages and hopefully improve the quality of the summit.

Boards, people, community are words without association with the IC world of EVE. Avoid them if you want to appear IC. They are easily replaced by synonyms. If you combine these with words that have an obvious trolling effect, you risk getting locked...
Pages: 1 [2]